Need Amp advice for Preface & Vignette

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

young21

Reaction score
Hi !

I recently purchased ML preface for Front LR and Vignette for center and rear.
These will be part of my basement home theater setup in a hall 20'Lx12'W.
BB suggested ONKYO SR707 will be just fine but I am not sure about load of the 4 ohm Preface and 6 ohm Vignettes will put on 707. BB also mentions the ONKYO 707 will convert internally to support the 4 ohms. I was getting some other suggestions that Rotel 1560 might be the amp for these MLs.

Given the cost difference of 707 vs 1560, I am not sure what's the right combo for $$ and equipment for typical home theater usage for watching movies primarily.

Is Vignette the right choice for center channel or should I be getting something more focussed for the center channel ...

What's a decent receiver to start enjoying the ML speakers ?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, don't have experience with those speakers or receivers, but welcome to the site. I'm sure someone on the site will have some experience and help.

not familiar with that receiver either but i had mine hooked up to my denon 3808ci and they sounded good. thats the only receiver ive had them hooked to though.

welcome!

Hi !

BB suggested ONKYO SR707 will be just fine but I am not sure about load of the 4 ohm Preface and 6 ohm Vignettes will put on 707. BB also mentions the ONKYO 707 will convert internally to support the 4 ohms. I was getting some other suggestions that Rotel 1560 might be the amp for these MLs.

Given the cost difference of 707 vs 1560, I am not sure what's the right combo for $$ and equipment for typical home theater usage for watching movies primarily.

Is Vignette the right choice for center channel or should I be getting something more focussed for the center channel ...

Thanks in advance.

Hello,
The ML's you have are not that tough of a load for a partnering amplifier/receiver. I would recommend checking out Accessories4less. They sell TX-SR876's for close to what the 707 goes for retail and is a way more powerful AVR.

Adds THX Ultra2 Certification, weighs twice as much, Reon video processing (which is excellent) and much more. Truly is in another league than the 707. Way stouter amplifier section.

As to the Vignette as your CC, the only way to know if it pleases you is to try it. Ideally, especially if focused on HT, I would get the biggest best CC you can possibly afford.
Cheers,
ML

hi

Hi !

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE

Im pretty sure you solved this prob already but just in case let me share what I have. I have the preface, dynamo bl, and encore tf with the onkyo nr 807 in a room similar in dimension as yours but opens up to a kitchen. So far my 807 ( a step higher than 707) is doing the job. However to be a able to listen to it in a theater like way, I have to crank the volume up to +1.0. Im a newb and would also like to ask if this is considered underpowered?

Welcome jojomtn! I'm not certain if the +1.0 is underpowered or not. The big question is, when you have it turned up this high, does it sound clear and accurate which would indicate is is adequately powered. If the sound starts getting scratchy, etched or basically unpleasant, your clipping your AVR and can cause damage. Remember, underpowered causes more damage than adequate reserve power.

Hope this helps!

Gordon

thanks Gordon

Welcome jojomtn! I'm not certain if the +1.0 is underpowered or not. The big question is, when you have it turned up this high, does it sound clear and accurate which would indicate is is adequately powered. If the sound starts getting scratchy, etched or basically unpleasant, your clipping your AVR and can cause damage. Remember, underpowered causes more damage than adequate reserve power.

Hope this helps!

Gordon

Thanks Gordon. The sound doesnt seem unpleasant on that level. Then again im a newbie and I'm afraid that my untrained ear probably is not capable of discerning yet. Is there any other quantitative way I can see if my receiver is underpowered. Or should I just crank up the receiver until I sense its unpleasantness? Also as I go along reading forums here, I find out that amps are highly recommended. Do I connect the speakers--to the amp-- to the receiver? Do I even need the receiver? Still searching facts about the audio world

Yup, the receiver will act as your "preamplifier" and will do the processing for your audio / video. The "preout" section of your receiver will send the signal to an amplifier (via a normal RCA cable) and then you would connect the speaker wire into the amplifier.

I have an Denon 3808 working with a Sunfire amp (200W x 5 channels) and my motif center speaker is at about +4.5 db gain. The receiver is just doing that to match the output of the rest of the speakers due to the fact the center is smaller then the fronts.

I don't think you will have a problem just running a receiver with your setup. The thing you can do is borrow from a friend or dealer / buy an used amplifier on audiogon and see if you can hear a difference between the two. If there isn't much of a difference, you can turn around and put it back up for sale.

Last edited:
Thanks tsmooth

Thanks for the info. What do you think of the preface? I know I just bought these but I still have the opportunity to return them and just save up for the source. Dont get me wrong I am happy with the preface so far, Its just I really havent listened to both of them in the same room for comparison. But Ive been reading that the source would definitely be better than the preface. I dont want to regret my 1st move thats all. Im still trying to find a place where I can audition them together.

So in short my real dilemma is, 5.1 preface, dynamo bl, encore tf, vignettes

OR

2.0 Source stand alone

For 80% movies, 20% music in a 20 x 15 room that opens up to a kitchen.

Patience for the newbie please. BTW tsmooth are you a med student?

Yes, I'm here at Medical College of Wisconsin just outside Milwaukee.

I did have a pair of sources before I moved up to a pair of vistas. I worked for a dealer (actually DaVinci Media, one of the sponsors of this site at the top of the page) for a while and was able to listen to everything and anything before I made a purchase. I haven't heard the preface yet, but I am sure it is an excellent speaker.

If you want to look at my home page it pretty much summed up my experience over the last few years (link at bottom). From my experience, I would recommend purchasing the best equipment you can now and move up when you have the chance / money. I had a Denon 2807 running my sources for a while and purchased each piece one at a time after that.

On that note, audiogon.com is a great place to try out equipment to see if it works in your system and to sell old pieces when you "outgrow" them. If you really get serious about this hobby that is the place to go for your next piece of audio gear. You can almost get a slightly used pair of sources for probably the same amount as you paid for your prefaces if you picked them up new.

Have fun and ask questions!

Last edited:
Back