Need a little help deciding...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emsdad

Reaction score
Right now I have a Denon AVR 591 pushing my Martin Logan Motion 12's, 10's, 8 and Def Tech pro 1000. It puts out 75 watts. I am looking at the Denon AVR 1912, Onkyo TX-NR609, Onkyo TX-NR709. I have had both Onkyo and Denon and like them both. The Onkyo 609 is 399.00, the Denon 1912 is 549.00, and the Onkyo 709 is 579.00. I really dont know what I need and which one to get. What is a good on to look at for my ML set-up? I use it for home theater mainly.

Anticipating future speaker upgrades, go with the receiver that has more power.

That would be the power rating with all channels driven. What you want is an amp that is stable at lower impedances.

I've had Denon AVR's for some twenty years so, based on that and all other things being equal, that would get my vote.

You can never have enough power.

Good luck.

GG

Gordon has it right, power is a good thing. If you are wondering, ask what watts the amp will output at 8 ohm, 4 ohm & 2 ohm, a good quality amp will double as the ohm is halved or near to double. There are some exclusions but a general rule of thumb & all.....Be wary of the sales pitch about all the power on tap when they add per channel watts together.

The key here is watts 20-20kHz all channels driven and the amount of distortion. A cheap unit might advertise 7 x 100 watts per channel at 1%. It will make 100 watts into one channel at 1%. It will really only make 17-20 watts all channels driven at levels of distortion you can tolerate. A second more expensive unit lists 7 x 60W at 0.05% THD, 20-20kHz, reads like a lot less power but it makes it at half the distortion. The first unit is a $200 Sony, The second is an entry level NAD. You get what you pay for and it's cheeper to buy enough power the first time around. bzr and Gordon have it right.

By the way according to Denon your unit rates 5 x 75 watts (8 ohms, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, .08% THD). Notice the distortion number.

Last edited:
Denon 1912: 7 x 90 watts (8 ohms, 20 hz to 20 khz, .08% THD)
Onkyo TX-NR 609: Misleading as all channels driven is not stated.
Onkyo TX-NR 709: Misleading as all channels driven is not stated.

So I guess the Denon is the way to go?
.08 isn't the greatest %THD. I'd save up and buy a more powerful unit with a better distortion number. Your current unit should carry you until then.

Preamp out of the receiver (whatever brand you buy) to a separate power amp.....

+1... it's a good option and will set you on the golden path of separates - as long as it's a quality receiver with quality pre-amp outputs. And you can mix things up too... perhaps drive your surrounds with the receiver amps, and fdrive the front L/C/R with externals. Not trying to spend your money, but this is a solid option.

Back