NAS with Audiolab M-Dac and Bel Canto Ulink fed to MLs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Hi,

So taking up Roberto's recommendation and doing some research, I am going to add a Bel Canto Ulink to an Aduiolab M-Dac to play from Macbook.

If I want to rip CDs, does any NAS work as long as it is connected to the ulink and MDac? Are there any recommendations such as Vortexbox or Squeezebox?

I will download in Flac Lossless, Vortexbox also rips CDs, that helps.

I read this thread but could not make much sense from it, yet, it has a Sleepysurf recommendation http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...High-Res-Audio&p=128994&viewfull=1#post128994

Let me ask this another way - has anyone compared a simple NAS like a Vortexbox, coupled with a Bel Canto ulink type USB Dac fed to a Audiolab M-Dac, and the quality of that as compared to a high end CD player?

Either will be fed to a fairly good hifi system, of Krell powering Martin Logan summits. If I want to go the non CD player route, what quality of NAS should I be looking for?

The Bel Canto is a S/PDIF converter - it converts a USB audio signal to S/PDIF. You'll still need a USB audio signal. A NAS won't deliver that unless you have some sort of software running on it to manage your library, play control and output.

So generally you'd be looking at using a computer - going the NAS route is simpler, but altogether more painful, as there will be specific software that runs on specific NASes. I'm not familiar iwth this route as I use a Squeezebox, however any of these options should give much better sound than spinning CDs in real time through a mechanical transport. And that's before you factor in high-res.

Thanks - I notice you have a Marantz SACD and a Squeezebox touch that feeds through to a good amp and speaker combo. I assume the Squeezebox is an alternate source to the Marantz. Did you find that better in soundstaging, imaging, clarity, etc?

This is the NAS I am looking at, but open to suggestions http://homevideo.hotukdealsz.com/liv-zen-music-server-2tb/

Adam,

Quick question about computer audio.

Once all ripping is done and stored on hard disc, is it possible to select / program tracks for each ripped CD?

Assuming answer is yes, how good (read easy) is the user interface?

Gordon

Hi Gordon - ask as many questions as you like:

Adam,

Quick question about computer audio.

Once all ripping is done and stored on hard disc, is it possible to select / program tracks for each ripped CD?

Absolutely. The exact functionality will depend on what music server you have, but you can always select what track you want to play. You can also generate playlists consisting of one or many albums, and select the tracks in any order you like. And you can save these playlists for later use if you like. Of course, the usual random random function can apply too if you like.

Again - the user interface will depend on what music server you have. With the Squeezebox, the basic (device with remote) interface is very good. But it really comes into its own when you control it through a networked device. It is controllable through any networked device, such as a phone, tablet or laptop. So using a tablet or iPad, you can control the entire functionality, select tracks, change order, create playlists, etc. I believe the Sonos has similar functionality and apps for iOS and Android.

It really is marvellous Gordon - don't worry about interface. If there is any "easiness" aspect to be concerned about, it will be in setting it all up and ripping your CDs - the real PITA.

Following on from that, a good backup is essential!

Thanks - I notice you have a Marantz SACD and a Squeezebox touch that feeds through to a good amp and speaker combo. I assume the Squeezebox is an alternate source to the Marantz. Did you find that better in soundstaging, imaging, clarity, etc?

This is the NAS I am looking at, but open to suggestions http://homevideo.hotukdealsz.com/liv-zen-music-server-2tb/

I use the Marantz solely as a (non hybrid) SACD player these days, therefore it uses a different DAC (its internal one) to the Squeezebox which uses the M-DAC.

For this reason, you can't really compare them.

However - at one stage (about 7 years ago when I first started to take computer audio seriously in my high-end system), I did connect a Squeezebox (SB3) and a CD transport to the same DAC (Musical Fidelity X-DAC v3) and listened. It was very close indeed - too close really to be significant, but I did think the Squeezebox had the slight edge. Better incision and timing if memory serves me correctly.

That's exactly my question. To you, does the CD with its internal dac sound better than the squeeze box with the external one.

That's exactly my question. To you, does the CD with its internal dac sound better than the squeeze box with the external one.

I don't like saying because they are totally different DACs. One is up to the minute, and the other is 10 years old!

CD = Squeezebox better.
DVD-A = Squeezebox better.
SACD = Tough call, but altogether harder to justify since you can't rip a SACD. I only have a few tracks same on high-res PCM and SACD, and I am unable to confirm whether they use identical mastering.

So, all things being equal, the music server sounds better. Yes.

Last edited:

Gordon

i have a Meridian Sooloos system, that is easy to setup and very easy to use while playing music. The iPad app is the main interface to play music, but this works flawlessly.
For any album on it, you can star and skip tracks, which means that you can choose to only play the best with one click, or to always skip certain tracks that you dislike.

Latest posts

Back