Name that Transport.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarMedia

Reaction score
As good as my MF-A5 was, I was still disappointed with the cheap tray. So I am interested in learning about all of the CD Players out there which construct their own cd tray mechanism, rather than use the mass-marketed one which you find in 99% of cd players.

If you have personal experience owning such a machine, please share you thoughts on it.

Many Thanks.

Sources with well-biult transports...

As good as my MF-A5 was, I was still disappointed with the cheap tray. So I am interested in learning about all of the CD Players out there which construct their own cd tray mechanism, rather than use the mass-marketed one which you find in 99% of cd players.

If you have personal experience owning such a machine, please share you thoughts on it.

Many Thanks.
SugarMedia,

It is good to see you around again. :D Did the move go OK?:)

I've been researching just this very issue. Here is my short list of CD/SACD players with very well biult transports, in order of most impressively reviewed sound quality (I have not auditioned them myself, as of yet);

1). Marantz SA-7S1
2). Esoteric X-01 and X-03
3). MBL 1621 A (CD / RedBook player only)

HTH :cheers:

Thanks Robin.

I'm only at the very early stages of planning a move. It's much more difficult with kids, in addition to trying to sell my home. But I'm guessing it will happen by year-end.

As for the topic at hand. I feel there is so much talk about low jitter and "best sounding", etc, etc, that I thought this was something important that is often swept under the rug. But I believe that a well built and completly solid CD tray mechanism should make a world of a difference on how a CD is read and ultimately on how it sounds.

I didn't realize Marantz was making their own.

Many Thanks.

Haha, that's EXACTLY what I thought about the A5. All that pretty case work and a flimsy disc tray.... I'd be embarassed to charge as much as they do and not fancy it up a little!

If you look in my recent thread about my obtaining a new Marantz Sa 14, I mentioned that an "above average" transport was very important to my purchase.

As far as my searching took me, Wadia, Teac/Esoteric, Marantz (reference line), a few Krells, Levinson, Theta, and a few Cary units all had some form of a diecast tray. Then there are top loaders like the Regas... especially the new Saturn/Jupiter/whatever they are calling it :p

Not being in to digital, does it actually matter, outside of the theoretical, to the sound of the unit? I can definitely dig the aesthetics of the big heavy, milled drives but that is a BIG expense if it adds nothing to the sound quality.

No idea risabet ;)

Probably matters less and less the more stable the platform you place the player onto.

Many Thanks.

My Rega Apollo for only $999 new, how about that ?

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/606rega/

Last edited:
Esoteric's whole line and EMM's whole line.

True that!

I've posted this photo before, but it's applicable here. Please consider the Esoteric transport compared to those offered by Pioneer, Marantz, Denon and many others on the left for comparison sake. A picture is worth 1000 words...

Also, read the latest issue of the Abso!ute Sound for a full reviewof the Esoteric P03 transport and a much better explaination than I could give as to why Esoteric simply makes the very best transports in the world.

I wouldnt trade my Esoteric for any other brand of player after living with it for some time. Only thing I would consider would be another (much more expensive) Esoteric.

Attachments

• Esoteric.jpg
    Esoteric.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Esoteric_small.jpg
    Esoteric_small.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
True that!

I've posted this photo before, but it's applicable here. Please consider the Esoteric transport compared to those offered by Pioneer, Marantz, Denon and many others on the left for comparison sake. A picture is worth 1000 words...

Also, read the latest issue of the Abso!ute Sound for a full reviewof the Esoteric P03 transport and a much better explaination than I could give as to why Esoteric simply makes the very best transports in the world.

I wouldnt trade my Esoteric for any other brand of player after living with it for some time. Only thing I would consider would be another (much more expensive) Esoteric.

Mitt - this is your anti-thesis...or something like that.....Tell me about the esoteric - what did you have prior - and what is the diff in sound quality comparing the esoteric to others... what player do you have?

True that!

I ordered two Esoteric CDPs. I ordered an SA60 for my son and an X-1 Limted for myself. They should be here soon. I will let you know how they work out.

Mitt - this is your anti-thesis...or something like that.....Tell me about the esoteric - what did you have prior - and what is the diff in sound quality comparing the esoteric to others... what player do you have?

Prior to getting my Esoteric DV-50S (that's it in the photo on the right), I was using a Sony DVP-S9000ES for SACD and an Anthem CD1 feeding a Dodson DA-217 Mk. II DAC for Redbook. I still use the Anthem and Dodson in the system using the Anthem when I want to put 5 discs worth of music in play, and using the Dodson for HDCD encoded disc's - the only thing the Esoteric doesn't decode internally.

Essentially the Esoteric is head and shoulders above either of the previous setups. With the transport being so rock solid (the player weighs nearly 60 lbs.), the sound is analogous - it simply has weight and authority. Music simply eminates from the system with an effortless quality that is free of the "glare" that was present before. It is easy to hear the contribution of the transport by playing an HDCD encoded disc in either the Esoteric or the Anthem since both route the signal through the Dodson DAC with the result being as described above. With standard Redbook material I don't even use the Dodson anymore. The Dodson upconverts Redbook to 24/96 whereas the Esoteric upconverts to 24/1411.2 with the filters I usually employ. Textures are richer, detail is more apparent, bass has more slam and the soundstage is generated a few feet forward of the front plane of the speakers and has more apparent depth. SACD from the Sony was good to be sure, but is at a whole different level with the Esoteric. I would have to say that SACD on my system is the closest thing to Analog that I have heard from a digital rig with the possible exception of a whole stack of dcs gear I heard at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest last year. Still, it doesn't out "analog" my analog setup. I still listen mostly to LP's when I want the most "musical" presentation, and to digital when I need the convenience factor, or am listening to titles that I just don't have on an LP.

3). MBL 1621 A (CD / RedBook player only)

Well, just when I thought this should be the next CDP for me, I came across its price. I could afford it, but I'd rather buy the new 'fire engine red 2007 Jeep Rubicon' when I get back.

That is one expensive CD Player. :eek:

Here's the transport in the Marantz SA 7, just to show MITT that they aren't all like the ones in his photo ;)

sa-7_transport.jpg

Back