Mysterious Crackling in Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopelessDFilms

Reaction score
I have been using a system of Vantages, Krell Sacd Player, and Krell Pre/Amp 400xi. The left channel speaker has a mysterious crackling that show up and disappears out of nowhere. I first wondered that the cabling could be the issue! Since everyone fears the issue of damage of a speaker. SO I switch the channels and no crackle in the other speaker.

The other thing to note is that crackling is experienced at medium to moderate volumes, nothing crazy.

On a side note, because of the nature of the Logans, what are the symptoms of a 'blown' panel....since they are not the traditional biology of a cone, i'm not sure of what symptoms to listen for.... Will stat panels have the same effect if driven too hard of a cone type speaker?

Thanks for the help.

I am not sure but could it be they are dusty? Search here for ways to clean the panels.

Yeah, very good possibility of dust between the film and the stators. Quite normal with stats speakers. I've had it before on my Summits. Usually its just a small spot that is buzzing. Just vacuum the offending panel, especially the particular spot - both front and back. By the way, don't forget to unplug the speaker for a day or so to allow the charge to dissipate before vacumming. Else the dust won't come off easy.

Last edited:
spring cleaning

thanks for the tips, i will try to give it a good cleaning and see if that helps... hopefully that is all that is wrong, its never a good thing to happen or hear...

thanks for the tips, i will try to give it a good cleaning and see if that helps... hopefully that is all that is wrong, its never a good thing to happen or hear...

One of my Ascent was doing that the other day...at first I thought it might be the transformer going out but decided to just relax, let it dissapate the charge and vacuum it first, THEN see what was up... Worked like a charm!

Latest posts

Back