My thought on ESL pros/cons and design challenges

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzman53

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to post my thoughts on ESL pros and cons, etc... but a post only allows 1k characters so please see the attached PDF if interested.

BTW:
Considering that I don’t own any Martin Logan speakers (just a fan), the warm welcome I received on joining this forum was a pleasant surprise, and I think it speaks to the character of the members here.

My website with speaker build photos & write-ups:
https://jazzman-esl-page.blogspot.com
Jazzman MkIII:
web image.jpg

Attachments

• Thoughts on ESL pros.pdf
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
Wow! Never in a million years would/could I take on a project like that. Major props!

Wow! Never in a million years would/could I take on a project like that. Major props!

Thank, sir.
But can you believe I built seven pairs of the MkIII's? I must have been insane!

The last build was fours pairs at the same time, which took me almost a year-- but that healed my psychosis. I'm now officially retired from speaker building.

I still keep up my website though, which is a labor of love I can do from the couch.

IMG_2266.jpg

Last edited:
Thank, sir.
But can you believe I built seven pairs of the MkIII's? I must have been insane!

The last build was fours pairs at the same time, which took me almost a year-- but that healed my psychosis. I'm now officially retired from speaker building.

I still keep up my website though, which is a labor of love I can do from the couch.

View attachment 24342
How long are your panels good for, what have you found? Seems the ML panels are good usually for about 18 to 20 years.

How long are your panels good for, what have you found? Seems the ML panels are good usually for about 18 to 20 years.

Honestly-- I don't know.
I've built ESL's for over 15 years but every few years I've build a different panel design and given the older panels away to anyone willing to pay the shipping (I haven't kept up with those).

3M says the adhesive tapes I use on the panels will last 25 years if kept away from UV light.

The only question in my mind is the Licron Crystal coating on the diaphragms, which I started using about 10 years ago, but I haven't kept up with the older panels so I can only vouch for five years (and counting).

Fortunately, my design allows for easily re-coating the diaphragms should they ever need it. The electronics package is pretty simple to service as well-- none have failed to date.

I think you've recently made some more ripole subs? Those aren't nearly as labor intensive.

That's right but they're no piece of cake to build either. I always start out with noble intensions of design something easy to build but then my compulsion for aesthetics kicks in and things get complicated :-(

That's right but they're no piece of cake to build either. I always start out with noble intensions of design something easy to build but then my compulsion for aesthetics kicks in and things get complicated :-(
The ones you've shown on here are beautiful.

Back