My McIntosh MA7000 review

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zero

Reaction score
Hey boys,

Since there are lots of Mac boys here, I wanted to hip you all to my latest product review that features the MA7000 bad-boy integrate over at www.sonicflare.com ! Check it out and let me know what ya think, whether ya loved it, hated it, or found it immeasurably boring. :ROFL:

Just one heads up though: it looks like the software on the site had a bit of a problem producing the correct font size. As of now, the text is really really tiny. I sent a note in to the publisher on the matter so it should be corrected soon.

thx for the review....i've been considering the MA7000 or the "lighter"
MA6600 for my Spires and Montana EPS2s. The weight is considerable...
97 lbs, damn! I am a little concerned about the reviewer's comment
that the sound is slightly dark. I think that would work well on the Spires
but not so the Montanas... they like a lively amp. I've had my Spires
up for sale on this site and Audiogon but no interest so far. So, I
may look to the Mcintosh if I keep them. Kind of surprised I haven't
had a single inquiry or nibble on the Spires. Figured there would be
some interest on such a recent speaker introduction.

Mantana,

Thanks for the reading! Yep, she is a heavy beast. In fact, when the MA7000 came in, it arrived via: an 18-wheeler!

I wish I had more input with regards to how they would match your Montana's. Unfortunately, I've not heard those speakers so I'm completely unable to comment. I will say this though, the MA7000 matched at least a dozen or so speakers I threw their way, including some that are quite 'laid back' in tonality.

If you can find a dealer in your area that would be willing to give you a couple of days with the piece, I'd encourage you to do so!

well, the Montanas are definitely not laid back....they're very dynamic
and rich with a great sound stage. I guess i should say they are
not in the least bit "bright". All i know is they mate better with
my Musical Fidelity A5 than my recently sold Classe Cap 151.
Here they are....

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 8,577
  • securedownload-6.jpg
    securedownload-6.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 7,562
  • securedownload-5.jpg
    securedownload-5.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 7,773
PBN Montana

yes, i see Peter at PBN now makes a turntable....it's pretty expensive. He also got great reviews from Soundstage for an amp and preamp,
PBN Audio Olympia-L Preamplifier and Mini-Olympia Stereo Amplifier....
i think they were listed as one of Soundstage's 2008 best products.

Last edited:
Mantana,

I once ran a Classe CAP 151 a few years back. From what I recall, it was a good amp, though I personally found it a by dry and sterile for my tastes and components at the time. Good stuff, but not for me..

Man, a PBN get-up and a set of ML Spire's! You're truly a spoiled guy! :cool::D It also looks like I need to get my ear on PBN's stuff.

I thought the Classe might be a good match for the Logans, so
thanks for the heads up. I'm searching for a used Simaudio I7
but they go quick. I need to find an amp that'll mate well with
both speakers. Do you own the MA7000, Zero ? Ever heard the
Spires with Simaudio?

If you ever get a chance to hear the Montana
speakers, you should. Being cone speakers, they're not quite
as quick, nor as transparent as the Logans,
but they are well balanced, dynamic, rich sounding &
powerful.... just musically right to my ears. Never fatiguing...

below are the only reviews i've seen on the upgraded EPS2s...he makes much
more expensive speakers as well....

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/two-channel-speakers/347-a-secrets-speaker-review.html

http://www.montanaloudspeakers.com/files/Montana EPS2.pdf

Last edited:
The Spires and Sim i-7 is a fantastic combination...

We've had an i-7 here for about a year and a half now. Haven't had a pair of speakers it wouldn't play with!

thx Jeff,

I appreciate it.....i just checked on audiogon and every I7 piece
has sold or is pending....you have to act quick on the Sims...

there is a new Mcintosh MA7000 for about $5800 i could get...

really didn't want to spend that much though....

Mantana,

The MA7000 I have on deck belongs to McIntosh.

Nope, I haven't heard the Sim I-7 (fantastic integrate) / Spire combo. Would love to though. However, it's worth mentioning that I recently heard a Blue Circle integrate paired with the ML Spire's. It was a marvelous combo! Of course, you'd expect a good synergy there because the owner of Blue Circle uses a number of Martin Logan's at his residence, to include the Statement E2's!

Of course, you'd expect a good synergy there because the owner of Blue Circle uses a number of Martin Logan's at his residence, to include the Statement E2's!

Gilbert used to be a member of this forum (well, the older version). He not only has the Statement E2's, but a rather shocking pair of Pink CLS's as well.

Thx again Zero,

Just curious...i was looking at the integrateds on the Blue Circle website.
Looks like the most powerful integrated is 145w which would probably
be the lowest power i would want in my fairly large room. There are
quite a few pics of their amps showing the innards. They all look
kind of messy inside with wires all over the place, not neatly laid
out like i see from other manufacturers. Admittedly,
i don't look under the hood very often....all the reviews i see
on their products are very favorable though.

Oh, since you've heard both, any preference between the Blue Circle and the
Mac MA7000 with the Spires?

Last edited:
Mantana,

Every encounter I've had with Blue Circle products has been a very pleasant one. Sure, the layout may not look as neat and tidy as other manufacturers gear, however, Gilbert goes to great lengths to ensure parts inside are matched within strict tolerances and often ties it all together using a painstakingly long point-to-point wiring process. Though he has begun to use circuit boards on the output section of his more affordable components, such as the 145wpc 'Katlas' you refer to.

The Blue Circle amp I heard with the Spires is the now discontinued NSCS (great amp!). Because I did not drag the MA7000 with me for a direct A/B comparison, it would be unfair for me to try and arrive to any final conclusions as to how the two compare.

That said, I feel comfortable enough to state the obvious differences between the two. First, both products are well built and should last a long time. Both have lots of power, though the MA7000's additional bandwidth gives it the advantage when it comes to handling extremely dynamic passages. The MA7000 also possess more clarity across the board and is in general more linear sounding in the hi-fi sense of contributing very little flavor to any particular frequency band. It's very much a "tell it like it is" piece, which is a sharp contrast to the MA6300, MA6500, and MA6900 integrates. What the MA7000 gives my Vantage's is a greater sense of sound-stage depth and refinement. I'd expect the same to hold true with the Spires.

The Blue Circle integrate by contrast had a touch of warmth in the mids that really worked well with the Spire's. Though well extended in the top end, the Blue Circles had an extra sense of 'grit' in the treble which in my opinion, helped to give instruments a more authentic tone. Some may prefer the MA7000's smoother treble though. Overall, the Blue Circle NSCS is the more colored piece. It's sound has rougher treble, a more blossomed midrange, and great textured bass that never calls attention to itself. Still, it doesn't sound as refined and as balanced as the MA7000. Of course, given the price differences between the two pieces, this isn't much of a surprise.

If someone were to approach me about what amp I'd go for, I'd vote for the MA7000 in most circumstances. I love its autoformers, its linearity, bullet-proof circuitry, and the company itself. Of course, its up to each person to decide for themselves whether or not its worth the extra money to go for a piece like the MA7000 when considering such great affordable products from the likes of Blue Circle Audio. If you want to stay within the McIntosh line, a great alternative would be the MA6600. It's only moderately behind the MA7000 in performance, is $2000 less, and can even have a tuner added to it, making it arguably one of the worlds best stereo receivers!

Anyways bud, there are plenty of excellent integrate's out there for your Spire's. Good luck in the hunt!

Last edited:
thx Zero....

I guess i'm a little slow and thick minded...it took me awhile
to realize you were the author of the review. Anyway, good job
describing the overall character of the amp as slightly dark. That's
the kind of information i want to hear in a review (dark, bright,
mid hall, forward sounding). These days with dwindling dealers,
accurate reviews become more important. I remember buying a
British Fidelity amp to replace some B&K separates. I hated the BF...
it was so boring and robbed the life out of the music, so I took it back
to the dealer pronto. Pretty sure i was swayed by a review at the
time, but the point is, i want to know the character of the sound
and you did a great job on the MA7000 review.

Mantana,

Thanks for your wonderful comments! I will readily admit that I'm not the worlds best technical writer. However, I try to compensate for that by accurately depicting, in reasonable detail, what a product can or cannot do. I figure if I can at least get that part right - the rest of the review can be forgiven! :ROFL::ROFL: Thanks again, and please let us know what you end up with!

thx Jeff,

I appreciate it.....i just checked on audiogon and every I7 piece
has sold or is pending....you have to act quick on the Sims...

there is a new Mcintosh MA7000 for about $5800 i could get...

really didn't want to spend that much though....

Yeah - I'm the one who picked up the black/silver i7 in Florida. :D

Totally blind purchase (no local Simaudio dealers), with no regrets. Soundstage is incredible; fit and finish even more so. The massive volume knob alone is a work of art.

Yeah - I'm the one who picked up the black/silver i7 in Florida. :D

Totally blind purchase (no local Simaudio dealers), with no regrets. Soundstage is incredible; fit and finish even more so. The massive volume knob alone is a work of art.

You dog, you....must have been up for sale for about a day, but
good for you. How do they match with your Logans? Also,
do you mind me asking what you paid?

McIntosh Integrates

I have a MA-6600 which is 200 watts and it appears that it has similar sonic signature as MA-7000.
Lately I observed sonic improvement in my MA-6600 by replacing the Jumper supplied my McIntosh ( between pre and power section) with 4 different interconnects. In all 4 cases there was a definite overall improvement in sound quality. The best being Cardas Golden Reference followed by Kimber.
The same may apply to all integrated models of McIntosh and those having Mac integrate amps may try this simple change and see if there is any improvement.
It appears supplied jumper is of normal quality. May be some other cables may give even greater benifit compared to Cardas Golden reference.

Back