My Cary took a dump 2.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Seems like these go in pairs. First, Dave's... now mine.

I turned on my 05 today and all looked well. The blue lights came on in the power supply knob, then turning the preamp section on brought about the usual blue lights lighting up.

Then the blue lights began to flicker and no power - no lights, nothing.

Tried again, this time absolutely nothing.

Then I replaced the fuses... tried turning it on again.... the blue lights came on, then when I turned the preamp section, the blue lights came on, flickered and died. Tried turning on again, nothing this time.

Replaced the fuses again... same thing and same process.

All 3 sets of fuses were busted and I ran out of them.

I called Cary, they said maybe it's the rectifier tube in the power supply that's blown. Usually that's the culprit...

I'm off to Guitar Center to look for the rectifier tube and for some 1A, slow blow fuses.

Dang... today sucks.

I hope the rectifier tube works like a charm and that I'm back in business.... sad day.

Wish me luck... I really don't want to deal with having to send it in for repair.

:(:(

Joey, you may already know this (please don't feel insulted if you do), but if you did not have slow blow fuses in there in the first plece, DO NOT replace them with slow blow fuses as that may cause even more damage.

Dang Joey, Sorry to hear about that, but that got me thinking about tube rolling with your old SLP. What would you suggest?

Hope everything works out for you. What a major drag when you just want to relax and listen to some tunes. Click... Zip! What a Rip!!!

Satch

Joey, you may already know this (please don't feel insulted if you do), but if you did not have slow blow fuses in there in the first plece, DO NOT replace them with slow blow fuses as that may cause even more damage.

Cary told me that I should use slow blows... man.. I had a cryo hifi pair of fuses in the 05 initially, now they're all blown!

I'm off work, so I'm off to find a rectifier tube... I hope it works when I get back. :mad::(

I doubt you'll find a rectifier tube in the guitar store but its worth a try. You may need to order one from one of the reputable tube mail order stores.

That's the downside of tubes but then, it's also a benefit of tubes. They can go out on you like that but then it's an easy fix. If it were a solid state piece then you'd be packing it up.

Does that preamp have autobias? Do you even bias rectifier tubes?

Seems like these go in pairs. First, Dave's... now mine.

I turned on my 05 today and all looked well. The blue lights came on in the power supply knob, then turning the preamp section on brought about the usual blue lights lighting up.

Then the blue lights began to flicker and no power - no lights, nothing.

Tried again, this time absolutely nothing.

Then I replaced the fuses... tried turning it on again.... the blue lights came on, then when I turned the preamp section, the blue lights came on, flickered and died. Tried turning on again, nothing this time.

Replaced the fuses again... same thing and same process.

All 3 sets of fuses were busted and I ran out of them.

I called Cary, they said maybe it's the rectifier tube in the power supply that's blown. Usually that's the culprit...

I'm off to Guitar Center to look for the rectifier tube and for some 1A, slow blow fuses.

Dang... today sucks.

I hope the rectifier tube works like a charm and that I'm back in business.... sad day.

Wish me luck... I really don't want to deal with having to send it in for repair.

:(:(

You will be VERY disappointed if you use a a guitar store quality rectiier tube. Go get an NOS Mullard and be done with it. You will be shocked!!!

I'm of no help here, but I'm sorry for your troubles, Joey. We all wish you the best of luck to get that beloved gear back in shape.

You will be VERY disappointed if you use a a guitar store quality rectiier tube. Go get an NOS Mullard and be done with it. You will be shocked!!!

You'll be more shocked if the NOS Mullard dies because it is something else wrong. Try the guitar store tube first. If it works than try the Mullard or whatever. A damned sight cheaper to blow up a GC tube than the Mullard.

You'll be more shocked if the NOS Mullard dies because it is something else wrong. Try the guitar store tube first. If it works than try the Mullard or whatever. A damned sight cheaper to blow up a GC tube than the Mullard.

Words of wisdom.

Update fellas!

The rectifier tube WAS busted! Sweet... so the GC rectifier repaired the preamp! I'm so happy I didn't need to send it in to Cary and be without audio for a week or two.

Now... first listen, it sounded "off"... my usual suspects (of songs) didn't grab me and there was something not right about the imaging. I called Pops about this (twich) and we talked it over the phone... I had no idea that a crappy rectifier tube would lead to a crappy audio reproduction!

DANG IT!

Now I gotta go buy some decent rectifier tube or atleast get the stock 05 tubes back!

Mullards you guys say? Isn't that like 200$?

I saw this on upscale... it's a mullard jap copy.... well received...
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/product.asp?itemid=75&catid=48

What you fellas think?

As Dave said to me, by some sort of crappy way, I just learned that perhaps the rectifier tube does impact the sound in the same manner as the input/output tubes do.... what a crappy way to learn.

:(

Atleast the pre is working.. :).

Joey,

If you are going to keep the pre just spend the money on the Mullard. Trust me! Call Andy at Vintage Tube Services.com and be done with it. You will be shocked....

Then replace the stock tubes as well. I got 8 Pope 6SN7's and are amazed but you can get others will similar results. I tried some NOS RCA GTB and they were very good as well.

Jason

Jason,

How much was the Mullard?

And I do have some RCA GTBs lying around.... I haven't rolled them in yet though.

BTW, I never knew the rectifier could have such an impact on the sound... is this a common fact? What did you get with the Mullard?

BTW, if you still have the stock rectifier tube, can I buy it from you? It says "RUBY" on the glass right?

THanks,
Joey

Jason,

How much was the Mullard?

And I do have some RCA GTBs lying around.... I haven't rolled them in yet though.

BTW, I never knew the rectifier could have such an impact on the sound... is this a common fact? What did you get with the Mullard?

BTW, if you still have the stock rectifier tube, can I buy it from you? It says "RUBY" on the glass right?

THanks,
Joey

I got a Mullard from Andy for $150. It tested brand new. Yes, all recifier tubes have a great impact on sound. I still do have the stock tube but will not sell them just in case I sell the pre..

Jason

Joey -

There is a good and really reliable store in your neck of the woods with which I frequently do business. It's called Triode Electronics. You can google them for website info. They are more than happy to discuss stuff with you over the phone. They also usually have several types of tubes in stock for replacement applications. You may want to try them.

Jason,

Does this look like a legit Mullard to you?

Seth,

Thanks for the tip, I will check that out... :).

All,

Any other tips/suggestions for 5AR4 tubes?

Any other tips/suggestions for 5AR4 tubes?
Joey, there is a company (can't remember the name) that makes a solid-state replacement for the rectifier, that just plugs into the tube socket. It is inexpensive, so while tube rolling you may want to try it out just for the hell of it.

Joey, there is a company (can't remember the name) that makes a solid-state replacement for the rectifier, that just plugs into the tube socket. It is inexpensive, so while tube rolling you may want to try it out just for the hell of it.

You run a risk with a ss replacement. The voltages come up very quickly and the circuit may not do well since it was designed for tubes in the first place. I'd rather see you with a good tube rectifier than chance a solid-state replacement that may possibly cause damage. Of course, the sound of the preamp will change also!

Back