Music Appreciation Night

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylode

Reaction score
Recently, I got the idea to start a music appreciation night at our house. I thought it would be kind of cool to expand everyone musical knowledge as well as appreciation. The first session is planned for early November and, I was curious if anyone else has done something similar.

For my first selection, I plan on spinning Ella and Louis. These two greats, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, got together in 1956 to collaborate on this album with some incredible musicians: Ray Brown on bass, Herb Ellis on guitar, Oscar Peterson on piano, and Buddy Rich on drums. I think this should be a good selection and help kick-off the tone for future sessions. I can’t wait to see what everyone else chooses.

Below are the ground rules and the musical categories. Any comments, on how to improve upon the format would be appreciated.

Ground Rules: Music must come on vinyl, SACD, or XRCD. Album title, artist, site found on, and a brief description of selection must be given to me at least 10 days before appreciation night to allow time for delivery. Lastly, music must be meaningful to you or was pivotal to the industry and influenced others. Be prepared to discuss your selection.

This night is about critical listening (not talking) and learning about music. Before each album is played, the individual that selected it will describe the album, what makes it special, and why they selected it. After each album is played, we will discuss it and individually discuss what they found moving about it and whether they concur that it was an important work. Note taking during listening is encouraged.

Goal: To increase the household’s musical awareness and to have these become a standard that is enjoyed by all.

• First Night: Dead Artists
  • Second Night: Birthplace Artists (Ashley = Georgia, Evelyn = Germany, Dennis = California)
  • Third Night: Contemporary Artists
  • Fourth Night: The Classics (Mozart, Brahms, Chamber Music etc.)
  • Fifth Night: Female Vocalists
  • Sixth Night: Latin Artists
  • Seventh Night: Crooners
  • Eighth Night: British Invasion
  • Ninth Night: Motown
  • Tenth Night: Soundtracks
  • Eleventh Night: Male Vocalists
  • Twelfth Night: Listener’s Choice

Cool idea.
I've never done this formally, but I always encourage my kids to listen to my music or theirs whenever they want on my system. I have 13 and 14 yr. old boys. Their preferences in music are actually not to bad as far as I'm concerned. Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Beatles, AC DC, Greenday, Blue October... Some stuff I like, some I don't, but mostly some form of Rock.
They haven't blown anything up...yet!

Just curious - Why limit to Vinyl, XRCD and SACD?

Cool idea.
I've never done this formally, but I always encourage my kids to listen to my music or theirs whenever they want on my system. I have 13 and 14 yr. old boys. Their preferences in music are actually not to bad as far as I'm concerned. Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Beatles, AC DC, Greenday, Blue October... Some stuff I like, some I don't, but mostly some form of Rock.
They haven't blown anything up...yet!

Just curious - Why limit to Vinyl, XRCD and SACD?

I have done the same and now I want to take it to another level. My daughter is 19 and in college so I wanted it to have an academic flavor to it. My eldest daughter, 26, has expressed an interest and may be participating too. Could be fun times ahead!

First I was going to limit it to vinyl only but decided that may be too restrictive. The additional formats were added for two reasons: first I'm buying so it's what I want. :D Second, I want to make sure, as much as possible, that we're using audiophile-grade recordings so that a bad recording to spoil the experience.

Last edited:
This sounds like an excellent thing to do as a family. I have three younger kids that really too young to appreciate much (do they ever?:rolleyes: ), but I have to remember to do something like this as they get a bit older.

This sounds like an excellent thing to do as a family. I have three younger kids that really too young to appreciate much (do they ever?:rolleyes: ), but I have to remember to do something like this as they get a bit older.
You might want to consider just having it on in the background while they're coloring, playing, and so forth. In fact, the younger your kids are, probably the more likely they'll just 'absorb' the music. (Kinda like how young kids 'absorb' languages that are constantly spoken around them.) Just a thought.

They are never to young to appreciate fine things. The sooner they are exposed to things the more they will internalize them.

I agree, when they're young simple exposure and some casual conversation is enough.

I do agree with everyone's comments here.

You might want to consider just having it on in the background while they're coloring, playing, and so forth. In fact, the younger your kids are, probably the more likely they'll just 'absorb' the music. (Kinda like how young kids 'absorb' languages that are constantly spoken around them.) Just a thought.

I actually do this. My set up is in our finished basement, where most of the kids toys are. We spend much more time in the basement during the winter (it's the one reason I get excited for the cold weather). I love to watch them try to dance to some of the music I play.

I should have worded my comments a little differently. What I'm talking about is a more serious type of listening session, not just background music. Where it's about my kids introducing and explaining the nuances their music to me as much as I am doing the same with them. I do not want this to be a one sided Dad's thing. I want them to feel apart of and passionate about it

Dennis, good move ! I applaud you for today positive family interaction is a very good thing indeed !!

Great idea! Definitely gonna TRY and get my family to play along!

I got a cheap thrill recently when my 22 y/o said he wants to go to the Florida Orchestra in Feb to hear Carmina Burana. When I inquired why the sudden interest in Classical, he said he loves it when they play it during Tampa Bay Bucs games, and wants to hear the full version! Whatever the motive, I think it's great, and promised to take the whole family.

Great idea! Definitely gonna TRY and get my family to play along!

I got a cheap thrill recently when my 22 y/o said he wants to go to the Florida Orchestra in Feb to hear Carmina Burana. When I inquired why the sudden interest in Classical, he said he loves it when they play it during Tampa Bay Bucs games, and wants to hear the full version! Whatever the motive, I think it's great, and promised to take the whole family.

Excellent!! I hope you get the warm reception to the idea that I've received. In fact, I think about it a lot and have already come up with at least 7 more categories. :music:

[*]Fifth Night: Female Vocalists
[*]Sixth Night: Latin Artists.............
I have a penchant for (and a large collection of recordings of) Latin female vocalists, so if you need any recommendations, please feel free to PM me. My latest discovery is Marta Topferova, who was born Czech, but sings superbly in Spanish.

I have a penchant for (and a large collection of recordings of) Latin female vocalists, so if you need any recommendations, please feel free to PM me. My latest discovery is Marta Topferova, who was born Czech, but sings superbly in Spanish.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer and will definitely take you up on it. As this progresses I was planning on asking the collective for suggestions. There is just too much music out there to try and do this solo. :bowdown:

Thanks, I appreciate the offer and will definitely take you up on it. As this progresses I was planning on asking the collective for suggestions. There is just too much music out there to try and do this solo. :bowdown:
"The collective" ? You make us sound (sic) like the Borg ! :eek:

Back