Mss hifi

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem is with most HI Fi shops that carry high end is, They discount any young individual as "Just wanting to hear the best gear " and not really going to appreciate it". They snob you for lusting and pre dispose you as a NON customer. "He will never afford this" I have been at this since I was 15 and remember walking into dealers and wanting to hear some high end gear and was basically told ,"your to young to know" or "You cant afford this" Most High end dealers create that persona as its easier to sell to the ignorant rich person who buys for status and not passion. Sad but true. !

When I sold hifi, I always took time to show the young guys the best gear, so they got excited. But back then, I wasn't that much older than the young guys that came in the store!

What most hifi retailers don't understand is that you are always planting seeds and what most customers don't understand is that you have to walk in the door and buy something once in a while or the shop goes out of business.

It's a tough one!

Johnny Boey, formerly d.b.a. JB Audio Pimp. I advise reading his sales policies before doing anything...they will make you cringe, especially #3 and #4. They refuse to answer a lot of questions. Gray market, except for a few lines--i.e., no warranty. I know of one manufacturer that supposedly tore up his dealer contract and refunded his initial order when they realized who it was...strangely, he had wire transferred the money instead of sending a check, which typically only dealers outside the US do. One can only conclude he was trying to slip it by them. Might be quick to ship orders but not a nice person. IMO of course.

I confirm. See below for email transactions between myself and MSS. I started it off by offering 1900 for some Totems listed at 2250

MSS Replied:
Sorry, we do not play the silly discount game. MSS HiFi, Inc. prices
everything to sell. The good news is that we are a very big dealer. If this
particular item is out of your budget, you should definitely check
www.msshifi.com. Chances are that you will find something else that fits
your budget better.

My reply:
I understand completely. I figured it was worth a shot. My wife won't let me spend more than 2000 on speakers, and I would need to drive from Montreal down to your shop to pick them up...Please let me know if you choose to lower the price on these. I have spent a lot of time looking into other speakers, but the sound quality and imaging on the totems is amazing for the price.
Best,

Mss: (who also copied all other employee's (not even bcc)
What is your wife going to do if you spend over $2000? Is she that awesome, impossible to replace? No one is. Even if she is, you should call her bluff and spend $2250 anyway. She will lose and have new-found respect for you.

This piece of valuable advice alone is worth $250. Stop by and pay $2250, and pretend that you spent $2000 for the speakers plus $250 for consultation.

Some good deals, yes. Maybe even a "no nonsense" dealer, but clearly, an a$$hole

Now that is funny! I have new repect for the Audio Pimp, maybe that is how they got to be a pimp, all these guys getting divorces for going against their wive's wishes.:D

Too funny Trumpet.

You get my vote for the "Best First Post on the MLC website / 2009".

Tom,

I think you should consider this along with the most illuminating, the most duh, the most cryptic, etc.

I can see it now.

The prize for the best post in the humor category for 2009 goes to ?

GG

Last edited:
Too funny Trumpet.

You get my vote for the "Best First Post on the MLC website / 2009".

Tom,

I think you should consider this along with the most illuminating, the most duh, the most cryptic, etc.

I can see it now.

The prize for the best post in the humor category for 2009 goes to ?

GG

Prize? oooh, I'll settle for a pair of spires!!!

here's some continued drama for the day

Me:
Seriously? A week, and you don't even apologize for what you said? Makes me quite sad.
I will certainly be posting on the forums about this now.

MSS: Yes, please do. We love free publicity. Our business thrives with increased notoriety. You remind me of an ex-girlfriend that keeps coming the more I abuse her. Same concept.

(end quote)

I mean, really? I know he's just trying to get a rise out of me now, and it is almost funny, but what business should EVER speak to a potential customer like that?

Obviously, he doesn't give a rats ass.

Some customers love abuse. Beats me. Pun intended. :D

GG

Wow Jason,

It's almost a self fulfilling prophecy.

To quote from your link.

"Because I'm a dick, I don't care".

Now we know why he previously called himself THE AUDIO PIMP.

Gordon

Wow Jason,

It's almost a self fulfilling prophecy.

To quote from your link.

"Because I'm a dick, I don't care".

Now we know why he previously called himself THE AUDIO PIMP.

Gordon

like I said before do not buy anything from a pimp or a hoe!

When I sold hifi, I always took time to show the young guys the best gear, so they got excited. But back then, I wasn't that much older than the young guys that came in the store!

What most hifi retailers don't understand is that you are always planting seeds and what most customers don't understand is that you have to walk in the door and buy something once in a while or the shop goes out of business.

It's a tough one!

well said TonePub

I think sometimes sometimes salesman only can see what they think to be as an immediate sale and underestimate a potential customer. in the scheme of life and all of its expenses I think it is unwise to just assume that younger,poorer,or not well dressed and eager for a sale people will not buy your highest end of HIFI products if given the respect and time needed to plant those seeds of desire. even if they do not buy so what every customer should be treated as a king when they walk into your store until they give you a reason to treat them any differently. you salesman might just be a little surprised if you gave some people a chance.it's this attitude that leads people to online whores like discussed earlier the salesman in the stores often ruin a good part of the value in purchasing from a dealer.

you know this is interesting stuff -- I have had experiences with 'great deal' guys - and some have gone fine - as long as I didn't have any complaints - but, if something goes slightly south with the sale ... all of a sudden you get this attitude...I have seen great deals on that guys site... I would never buy anything from them after seeing some of the responses you got. It is just ignorant...and I don't do ignorant.

well said TonePub

I think sometimes sometimes salesman only can see what they think to be as an immediate sale and underestimate a potential customer. in the scheme of life and all of its expenses I think it is unwise to just assume that younger,poorer,or not well dressed and eager for a sale people will not buy your highest end of HIFI products if given the respect and time needed to plant those seeds of desire. even if they do not buy so what every customer should be treated as a king when they walk into your store until they give you a reason to treat them any differently. you salesman might just be a little surprised if you gave some people a chance.it's this attitude that leads people to online whores like discussed earlier the salesman in the stores often ruin a good part of the value in purchasing from a dealer.

I think that we all underestimate the power of negative/positive reviews. I really wish in this age of internet that when people get a product, they would place their review on the internet. Millions of people use the reviews off of Google every day. Maybe if I wasn't the only person posting my experience on Google (search for msshifi, click on Maps, and post a review) more people would be able to avoid getting ripped off by them, or companies would see more value in proper customer service. It works well for the restaurant industry!

I confirm. See below for email transactions between myself and MSS. I started it off by offering 1900 for some Totems listed at 2250

MSS Replied:
Sorry, we do not play the silly discount game. MSS HiFi, Inc. prices
everything to sell. The good news is that we are a very big dealer. If this
particular item is out of your budget, you should definitely check
www.msshifi.com. Chances are that you will find something else that fits
your budget better.

My reply:
I understand completely. I figured it was worth a shot. My wife won't let me spend more than 2000 on speakers, and I would need to drive from Montreal down to your shop to pick them up...Please let me know if you choose to lower the price on these. I have spent a lot of time looking into other speakers, but the sound quality and imaging on the totems is amazing for the price.
Best,

Mss: (who also copied all other employee's (not even bcc)
What is your wife going to do if you spend over $2000? Is she that awesome, impossible to replace? No one is. Even if she is, you should call her bluff and spend $2250 anyway. She will lose and have new-found respect for you.

This piece of valuable advice alone is worth $250. Stop by and pay $2250, and pretend that you spent $2000 for the speakers plus $250 for consultation.

Some good deals, yes. Maybe even a "no nonsense" dealer, but clearly, an a$$hole

Maybe I should bring my wife into his store. He'd open his mouth and she'd end up kicking his ass. He'd lose but he would have new-found respect for her!!!

Trumpetlore, thank you for sharing your experience. You dodged a bullet. Krisgel (on AA) wasn't so lucky, but he also posted thoughtful comments.

And thanks to others, especially Gordon for some good humor.

Be careful out there, folks.

Prize? oooh, I'll settle for a pair of spires!!!

here's some continued drama for the day

Me:
Seriously? A week, and you don't even apologize for what you said? Makes me quite sad.
I will certainly be posting on the forums about this now.

MSS: Yes, please do. We love free publicity. Our business thrives with increased notoriety. You remind me of an ex-girlfriend that keeps coming the more I abuse her. Same concept.

(end quote)

I mean, really? I know he's just trying to get a rise out of me now, and it is almost funny, but what business should EVER speak to a potential customer like that?

Absolutely hilarious. Great hard ball negotiating. Great advice too - divorce in this economy? Very creative judo strategy.

Not disclosing a missing serial number is another story...

Depressing? What do you care what gear other people like, it's no skin off your nose.

Because it connotes a complete ignorance of hi fidelity and when all you see around you is ignorance, it is depressing. I understand that.

But then again, IrishTom, you are on record saying you are sure Bose speakers are wonderful, so I can understand why you would be confused. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

I think that we all underestimate the power of negative/positive reviews. I really wish in this age of internet that when people get a product, they would place their review on the internet. Millions of people use the reviews off of Google every day. Maybe if I wasn't the only person posting my experience on Google (search for msshifi, click on Maps, and post a review) more people would be able to avoid getting ripped off by them, or companies would see more value in proper customer service. It works well for the restaurant industry!

I can not really review mss hifi as I have never purchased anything from them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back