Motion 10 Componebts to a Custom Center Channel Cabinet

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMOP

Reaction score
To say I'm new to modifying speakers would be generous. But, $119 will buy a new Motion 10 (get them while it lasts!), which contains the components for a nice center channel speaker which could match the rest of my ML setup. I've been convinced to try to build my own. However, I've no idea where to begin gathering and/or calculating the various parameters needed for such a project. Can anyone point me to a source for putting together the necessary specs to begin my ported cabinet design project?

I know I need Equivalent Volume (Vas), Free Air Resonance (Fs), and Total Q (Qts), among other measured and/or derived values. I won't bore everyone by trying to list them all, but would appreciate any leads. I think I can use the online tools to run the calculations once I get the values, but I'm not sure where to start. ML doesn't seem to post such things, though I didn't much think they would.

Can anyone here give some experienced-based encouragement and pointers?

Many thanks.

To say I'm new to modifying speakers would be generous. But, $119 will buy a new Motion 10 (get them while it lasts!), which contains the components for a nice center channel speaker which could match the rest of my ML setup. I've been convinced to try to build my own. However, I've no idea where to begin gathering and/or calculating the various parameters needed for such a project. Can anyone point me to a source for putting together the necessary specs to begin my ported cabinet design project?

I know I need Equivalent Volume (Vas), Free Air Resonance (Fs), and Total Q (Qts), among other measured and/or derived values. I won't bore everyone by trying to list them all, but would appreciate any leads. I think I can use the online tools to run the calculations once I get the values, but I'm not sure where to start. ML doesn't seem to post such things, though I didn't much think they would.

Many thanks.

Any reason why the Motion 10 doesn't become your center instead of cannibalizing its parts to build a DIY center spekaer?

Many thanks.

ML probably uses off the shelf drivers in those speakers. Buy it and take them out to find a model number on the drivers and I bet you can find all the details that you want from the manufacturer. That said, I am not sure how well this idea is going to work due to crossover change requirements, dispersion control, etc?

Back