Montage v.s Mosaic

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

no6thgear

Mosaic
-up to 175 watts
-3 way (2 atf 1 woofer)
-1 hz lower freq. resp. than montage (46hz)

Montage
-up to 150 watts
-2 way (2 woofers 1 atf)
-1 hz higher freq. resp. (47hz)

Im between purchasing these 2. The specs are misleading as to which one is superior. I havent heard the mosaics, are the montages truly a better speaker? The mosaics arent on martinlogans website. Im wondering if the mosaics are older, cheaper in price, yet superior. At Magnolia the pricepoint on the mosaics are 500, compared to 650 for the montage. Going by pricepoint youd guess montage is superior. Any comments or experience on these 2 is appreciated. Id like to place the order tommorrow and "join" the club!

wow

wow thats actually a pretty good deal. thank you. To be honest i would be getting the pair of montages for around 600 shipped. but those are actual electrostats....i may give that person a call. hmm im still wondering about montage vs mosaic though.

I think you have mistaken the frequency response. Montage is 47-20,000hz and mosaic is 46-20,000hz meaning the mosaic goes a little lower. I have listened to both speakers and the mosaic is a bit smoother for vocals and had better midrange. The mosaic is the better speaker but both are excellent. I was drawn to martin logans by chance when somebody else was auditioning the montage and slammin out some techno. It was da bomb.

Last edited:
After listening to Claritys the ATF MLs were just not gonna cut it.

If you can swing true ESLs go for it. Otherwise, wait. The difference is absolutely worth it.

wow thats actually a pretty good deal. thank you. To be honest i would be getting the pair of montages for around 600 shipped. but those are actual electrostats....i may give that person a call. hmm im still wondering about montage vs mosaic though.

Get these! Better deal all the way around and you will be SOOO happy w/ them. I just sold a pair for $1000. They really are VERY NICE speakers. Most people don't have speakers that nice in their systems at all and never will. You are getting WAY more than $1k worth of speakers when you buy Aerius i speakers!

Mosaic
-up to 175 watts
-3 way (2 atf 1 woofer)
-1 hz lower freq. resp. than montage (46hz)

Montage
-up to 150 watts
-2 way (2 woofers 1 atf)
-1 hz higher freq. resp. (47hz)

Im between purchasing these 2. The specs are misleading as to which one is superior. I havent heard the mosaics, are the montages truly a better speaker? The mosaics arent on martinlogans website. Im wondering if the mosaics are older, cheaper in price, yet superior. At Magnolia the pricepoint on the mosaics are 500, compared to 650 for the montage. Going by pricepoint youd guess montage is superior. Any comments or experience on these 2 is appreciated. Id like to place the order tommorrow and "join" the club!

no6thgear,
I have not actually heard the Montage's, but I own a pair of Mosaics. I really am happy with them, however the sound of the true ESL's are really so much sweeter. But if you are really wanting to choose between the two, I can vouch for the Mosaics. The reason they are not on the ML site is because they are being phased out and another model is being introduced something this year. However I have a link I saved that seems to work still for it.

http://www.us.martinlogan.com/display_speaker/mosaic.html

Don't know how long it will stay up. The mosaics I bought were marked down to $1300 a pair from $1700 a pair.

I listened to the Clarity's too, and they were just astounding. But then I stood up and the sound dropped off. You really have to be sitting in the right spot to hear them just right, the mosaics are not quite the same, you can be about anywhere and they sound solid. That and the Clarity was a bit out of my price range anyway. But when you are sitting in the right spot, WOW! Let us know what you decide to go with.

-capT

Hey Cap'n

Do we know what they are being replaced with? Lower ESL or a new ATF loudspeaker?

hmm

yeah if there is something at a similar pricepoint i may wait for that. Depending if its coming soon enough.

Hey Cap'n

Do we know what they are being replaced with? Lower ESL or a new ATF loudspeaker?

Unfortunately, I was not told exactly what it was going to be. I am betting it is probably another form of ATF though. I guess we will see. Is there anyone else here that may have more information on this? if so, please let us know as long as it is ok to say... ;)

-capT

EDIT: by the way, they did say that it would be more expensive though, probably not a similar pricepoint. I would go with the mosaics if you want ATF. I really like them.

phone call...

Well i just got off the phone with Martin Logan, they have great customer service I was VERY surprised to call the number and actually speak to a person. Anyways The Mosaic is usually 1700-2k a pair. the reason its only 500 is because its discontinued. They have none left there, he said they were a very hot item especially near the end of their production. A new model will be out, he said soon, then corrected himself and said well maybe not so soon but he has no knowledge on it and said the engineers are working on something very nice at around the same pricepoint.

no6thgear,
That's the right way to do it, don't speculate, go right to the source, dang wish I had thought of that... :eek: Owell, so they didn't say when or what kind of technology it will use huh? No problem, knowing ML, I'm sure it will be a great speaker!

-capT

I just ordered a pair of montages today. Is it normal for a 6-8 week waiting time though? What is the realistic wait, i know they must use the motto underpromise and overdeliver. I got them in cherry, i wonder what stain to use on my barewood floor to match or contrast the speakers :)

I just ordered a pair of montages today. Is it normal for a 6-8 week waiting time though? What is the realistic wait, i know they must use the motto underpromise and overdeliver. I got them in cherry, i wonder what stain to use on my barewood floor to match or contrast the speakers :)

Good luck! That cherry on the Montage is a beauty! I hope you enjoy them!

Joey

Back