ML with power surge/conditioner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In general, it's best if the powered woofer in ML's are running off the same grounding scheme as the rest of the electronics. So yes, plug them into a common power conditioner, or at least ensure the power conditioners are on the same household phase and ground as the rest of the gear.

As for how audible anything will, be, it depends. If you don't have ground loops or other anomalies already, then probably very little difference. It will just minimize possible issues.

If you have a hum, or other audible problem, then this could indeed help a lot.

YMMV

The only thing I would add to Jonathan's response is to make sure that the power conditioner doesn't choke the power available to the speaker's internal amps. Some do, which will result in less dynamic bass. Just do it both ways, and see if you hear a difference.

I had a Panamax about 20 years ago and found that it constricted the power. This began my journey from Tice's original power block to my soon to arrive Synergistic PowerCell 4.

As with all things in audio, power conditioners can get to be very confusing. My advice is to (if possible) ensure that the power conditioners are using the same circuit. BUT first you need to know how much current your equipment will draw and how much you want to spend. There are some very nice units coming on the market that use the latest technology for around $1k (yes $1k!). The new Running Springs unit has six outlets for $999 (this company is a favorite around here).

Take your time and do the research.

Power conditioners for ML's

I know I've seen discussion on the forum about it but needed to be refreshed. From your experience, should I plug my Spire's A/C into a power center? What results have you had with this?

I was considering the following for each speaker: http://www.panamax.com/Products/Other/MD2-RCA.aspx

I have had considerable experience with line conditioner/surge protectors, including Tice, Chang, PS Audio, Nordost, and most recently Running Springs Audio. The latter conditioners are the least colored and best built ones that I have ever had in my system. Depending on the number of devices you have, there are models with 4 to 10 outlets. RSA has just released the Elgar for 999.00. It has 6 outlets. Basically, if you have ESLs you should have them protected from surges like the rest of your gear. Do not expect the conditioner to make the Spires sound like Summits. They will sound like they normally should under all line voltage conditioners that may occur. Your other equipment may actually sound better with cleaner power.

I have had considerable experience with line conditioner/surge protectors, including Tice, Chang, PS Audio, Nordost, and most recently Running Springs Audio. The latter conditioners are the least colored and best built ones that I have ever had in my system. Depending on the number of devices you have, there are models with 4 to 10 outlets. RSA has just released the Elgar for 999.00. It has 6 outlets. Basically, if you have ESLs you should have them protected from surges like the rest of your gear. Do not expect the conditioner to make the Spires sound like Summits. They will sound like they normally should under all line voltage conditioners that may occur. Your other equipment may actually sound better with cleaner power.

Babydoc,

I had my eye on an RSA Dimitri a while ago - thinking I would replace my PSA PPP. I have to say though that I really like the PPP. In your experience, do you feel the RSA is worth the upgrade? For those of us with finite budgets, there is some hesitation in throwing so much dough at a conditioner when the current model seems to do everything right.

Any feedback, especially in terms of how the RSA actually improves the sound, would be most appreciated.

Babydoc,

I had my eye on an RSA Dimitri a while ago - thinking I would replace my PSA PPP. I have to say though that I really like the PPP. In your experience, do you feel the RSA is worth the upgrade? For those of us with finite budgets, there is some hesitation in throwing so much dough at a conditioner when the current model seems to do everything right.

Any feedback, especially in terms of how the RSA actually improves the sound, would be most appreciated.

You could always try a new conditioner and see if it is better. If you don't have a local dealer, try The Cable Co. They "loan" equipment (see the rules).

One other thing. The Tesla gear doen't protect against surges. All of their expertise is applied to making the gear sound better. They, I and many others recommend a whole house surge protector at the meter or circuit breaker box (providing you live in a house).

Babydoc,

2 Main Benefits of both RSA Haley and Dmitri:

1) Blacker, quiter background, so more detail comes through. And it is not just detail for the sake of detail, the detail is embedded as part of the musical flow.
2) Greatly improved dynamics, even for power amps.

The Dmitri does it to a better extent than the Haley.

I agree with the suggestion of trying it. If you don't perceive the differences, don't buy it.

I use Foundation Research LC 1's which are a pc with a conditioner built in. They plug into an Audience Adept Response conditioner.Yes , the conditioning makes a big difference even in non powered speakers such as my Odyssey's.

Attachments

• Adept Response Conditioner.jpg
    Adept Response Conditioner.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC03886.jpg
    DSC03886.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Back