ML SL3s

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickyP

Reaction score
Hi there

Recently bought a secondhand pair of these and they sound very good, intimate and unbox-like. :) I have noticed, though, that one woofer is different to the other, so was going to remove them and investigate further so I have a matched pair. At the same time I was going to ask my speaker man to refresh the crossover with new caps. I wondered if anyone had more technical information on the original woofer and crossovers - make, spec, etc. These are 1998 SL3s.

Also, I spotted a tip on here re packing the enclosure with sound absorption material. I haven't opened them yet, but was assuming they already would be packed with the stuff.

(I'm in the UK.)

Thanks you in advance for any help you can offer, or any other SL3 ownership tips. IE, have folks tried new mains power cables and/or was it worth the effort?

(Obvs, I'll move them nearer the wall before the wife gets home...)

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike, welcome to the group !

Hopefully some SL3 owners will chime in soon. I'm assuming one of the woofers was replaced, do you know the age of the panels ?

Hi Dave

(Bugger! Had replied but it disappeared!)

I've already heard enough in my very short time with these to know (think!) they are very special. :)

Don't know the age but they're not golden hued, as an ML service dept bod described replacements. I don't know when these rolled in.

Having pulled them out more into the room, they sound a lot more together, so I think I'll focus on pairing up the woofers and getting the crossovers recapped/refreshed. That said, there isn't a huge amount of tech info on this in the UK, so if anyone has woofer ids, specs (and crossover specs), anything, it would be so much appreciated.

Best regards from England

Mike

Mike,

Hopefully Jonfo (Jonathan) will chime in. He's a top notch guy , full of all kinds of 'Logan Knowledge' when it come to SL3's !

Mike congrats on the SL3's, sounds like yours are in decent condition, but you are right that refurbishment of the crossover and refresh of the woofer can help.

We have a sub-forum with schematics, but no entry yet for an SL3: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?77-ML-Schematics

You could also consider going active, like I do on my custom SL3-derived center channel. Way better performance than passive, but complex to set up. Requires a measurement rig and some knowledge on how to use it.

Also, there are various threads discussing the alternate woofer models for the SL3 and Sequell IIb (both sealed designs using 10" drivers).

Check out the DIY forum for good threads about mods and enhancements to the various older models, there is a lot of tech in common across the line, so many things transfer.

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for the response and I'll have a poke around. I had originally thought woofers wouldn't be a massive outlay. Now I'm not so sure. :)

Have ordered a couple and will see how they go.

Has anyone tried Shackman refurbed panels? And does anyone know what ML replacements would cost? The UK dealers aren't massively quick off the mark when you try and get these answers.

Mike

Edit to say, unless I misread that price list they're dearer than ML ones. :-(

Last edited:
ML replacement is expensive, I think it's in 1200~1600USD range, try washing the panel first.

How long did a 'wash' last, or are your postponing the inevitable?

Thanks. :)

I've gotten a pair of Clarity few months ago which was manufactured 2003. I took a chance without seeing it in person had it shipped to me. I am very luck with the purchase besides some scuff and marks, the panel sounds really good. However, based on everyone's recommendation, I decided to take it apart and follow the shower instruction, it did improve the sound quite a bit and I'm very satisfy the result. There is another guy in the US does the refurb on the ML panels and I've been in few email exchanges with him. Basically, he separates stators, clean up the old ML coating and apply his own coating plus replacing tapes and conductors. The quotation was 400USD plus roundtrip shipping which I think very fair consider the cost of new panels from ML. However, if I'm not mistaking, if you do order new panel from ML, you will be getting newer version of panel instead of gen. 1 panel.

(Thought I'd replied. Technology, huh?)

Could I have details of your man, please, even in a PM, and I'll do some investigation?

Scared about the whole shower thing and what are the improvements; can you explain?

Just run my SL3 mains cables through a conditioner and felt it a huge improvement. This is a steep learning curve!

Regards from UK.

Mike

Go to eslrepair dot com you can get in contact with him. He took time and explain the work he does in details. Just base on the few email exchanges I am fully comfortable with him in event my panel requires refurb. Older panels must have accumulated dust over the years which effect the vibration of mylar, most likely you will lose some sparkles, high and etc. After shower and I immediate notice the improvement and very satisfied with the result. I was very skeptical and scared of the idea taking apart my speaker like you, however, it's just matter of taking rails off SL3 and disconnect wires which I believe it's fairly simple. I ran a lukewarm water to the panels both side and dried with hair dry at lowest heat setting. But do make sure the panel is complete dry as corner of panels will accumulate good amount of water.

Attachments

• IMG_5172.jpg
    IMG_5172.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 159
I've just successfully washed and revived my SL3 panels over the past few days, and they are sounding GREAT today.... you can read my full post on the panel washing thread.. but I'm so happy to have my SL3's working again after sitting dormant for about 5 years in the garage. I did NOT use a hair dryer to dry them..... I just sat them in the Sun all day. I was recommended AGAINST using a hair dryer by ML... maybe because excess heat is more likely to cause uneven stress or damage to the mylar..... best to just wait it out a bit longer than use a dryer. Maybe just put a fan on them for the day. I waited 2 days, and they were fine.

Last edited:
Back