ML Production moving

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
It looks like I am going to order a pair of Replacement Panels for my Aerius i's in the next 6 Months. I would highly recommend any owners of Legacy Models to do so during this time as a proactive safety measure.

While I hope that the more popular Legacy Models will continue to have Product Support, I am definitely not risking the chance of not being to procure Replacement Panels.
Cheers,
ML

Guys, I got some answers to the service panels question after a conversation with Rob Zimmerman (for those who aren't following along, he's heading up the transition team):

"Service panels will continue to be hand-built here in Lawrence, KS. That might change at some point in the next few years, but for now we will continue to build those in the US."

As far as which models we will still replace? For now, Rob tells me they can do all models, and that won't change for AT LEAST another 6 months. BUT, during that time, they will be evaluating that policy.

I will let everyone know ahead of time with any decisions about this policy, and I'll be sure to let YOU know as soon as I know.

~Justin

From Justin to Justin:) - perhaps it would have been better to break the news about panel replacement when you had a better idea of the facts. There's been a lot of worried people here.

In reality, all that is required is reasonable forewarning that certain panels will not be available, WHEN you know for sure which products will be affected, and not before. Even this last post, whilst it improves the situation, leaves uncertainty in people's minds.

Collaborating directly with MLOC is a good idea, as long as you are really careful about the impact of what you might say may have.

Hopefully, you'll understand my point and not take it as a personal assault, because it is not intended as one.

Guys, I got some answers to the service panels question after a conversation with Rob Zimmerman (for those who aren't following along, he's heading up the transition team):

"Service panels will continue to be hand-built here in Lawrence, KS. That might change at some point in the next few years, but for now we will continue to build those in the US."

As far as which models we will still replace? For now, Rob tells me they can do all models, and that won't change for AT LEAST another 6 months. BUT, during that time, they will be evaluating that policy.

I will let everyone know ahead of time with any decisions about this policy, and I'll be sure to let YOU know as soon as I know.

~Justin

Hi Justin,

Thankyou for giving a timeline for those of us who may need to replace panels.

How will a warranty period work, for these panels that may be discontinued. I presume ML has historical data regarding panel warranty claims. May we assume that a suitable store of legacy stock will be held to cover warranty claims.

Kevin

From Justin to Justin:) - perhaps it would have been better to break the news about panel replacement when you had a better idea of the facts. There's been a lot of worried people here.

Hopefully, you'll understand my point and not take it as a personal assault, because it is not intended as one.

Certainly, but this seemed to be a topic that was asked a lot in this thread, I said I'd answer honestly if asked. To be fair, we never "officially" announced the move to the new facility because, well, it hasn't happened yet.

Trust me, I don't like to say anything about anything unless I'm sure, but in this case, there were some real concerns. Hopefully it was a helpful to those who own older products.

~Justin

Hi Justin,

Thankyou for giving a timeline for those of us who may need to replace panels.

How will a warranty period work, for these panels that may be discontinued. I presume ML has historical data regarding panel warranty claims. May we assume that a suitable store of legacy stock will be held to cover warranty claims.

Kevin

Kevin,

All MartinLogan products come with a 5 year warranty (expect subwoofers, which is 3 years). We will certainly have replacement panels for any product in warranty.

Here's the direct link to warranty info on our website:
http://www.martinlogan.com/support/warranty.php

~Justin

Certainly, but this seemed to be a topic that was asked a lot in this thread, I said I'd answer honestly if asked. To be fair, we never "officially" announced the move to the new facility because, well, it hasn't happened yet.
~Justin

Is this statement opening the door to the possibility that ML will not move to Canada?

Gordon

In reality, all that is required is reasonable forewarning that certain panels will not be available, WHEN you know for sure which products will be affected, and not before. Even this last post, whilst it improves the situation, leaves uncertainty in people's minds.

Collaborating directly with MLOC is a good idea, as long as you are really careful about the impact of what you might say may have.

Page 29. Post 425.

Hello,
Maggies are excellent. I am a huge fan of the 3.6's and think they are an absurd value. I honestly never thought we would have to worry about continued support for our Speakers. With Speakers that are based around a part that is expected to need replacement, it is really hard to believe this is happening.

And in that Thread they spoke of the higher resale value of Maggies because of their continued support. I do not quite understand why some on this Thread feel that to lament loss in resale value because the discontinuation of support of Replacement Panels equates to thinking one purchased their Martin Logans as an investment.

Rather, when I see strong resale value in a Component, it makes me more inclined to purchase it. Martin Logans traditionally high resale value has made it easier for many to upgrade to newer Models that might not otherwise be possible without the proceeds from the sale of past Speakers.

Again, when or if certain Legacy Models no longer have Factory Support, they are going to be practically worthless. Whereas currently 20 year old ML Speakers can still sell for 1000 Dollars plus.
Cheers,
ML

Last edited:
Last edited:
Jeff, I meant to respond to this earlier but I forgot. Do you seriously believe this? Certainly this decision would never have been made while Gayle ran the company. Does Roger Sanders still support every speaker he ever made? What about Quad? Soundlabs? Magnepan? Bose?

Ok, I just threw that last one in there to see if you were paying attention. But you get my point.

Hey Rich... to answer your question about Roger, the answer is yes he does.
Sorry about this news for you guys. I hope that it works out OK.
whew... the 514th post! I don't think I've ever posted in a thread this long before... I actually read the whole thing ("mostly" said in my best Cartman voice).

cheers from Colorado,
Ang

Last edited:
Maybe Roger can rebuild the panels for you guys if ML stops.

That could be a great business opportunity for Roger. ???

lawdy, we are way too busy over here.

That could be an option for others... outsourcing panels - just have a contract with ML to provide the parts and service (after training).

So can you explain why you have to replace panels anyway?

Wouldn't it be nice if ML were big enough to produce "new" classics in the manner that McIntosh does with its classic preamps and amps.

lawdy, we are way too busy over here.

That could be an option for others... outsourcing panels - just have a contract with ML to provide the parts and service (after training).

So can you explain why you have to replace panels anyway?

I would be curious to know how many panels that Roger has replaced on his full line of speakers since 1974.Please let us know when or if you have a chance.My only problem is who is going to replace his panels or other parts if something should happen to him.

My concern is that much of what we love about Martin Logan speakers is going to get lost in the process. I have seen it happen with too many companies that have gone through this type of transformation. The individuals that made ML great are going to slowly disappear, one by one, and all that will be left of the old company will be the brand name. The new company will make a greater variety of speakers at all price points and mass-produce the heck out of them. I expect that quality and customer service will both suffer, but who knows? All we can do is wait and watch and see what happens. (And analyze it to death, of course :D)

Rich is correct. It started with Gayle in 2005. Now it be Paul or Jeff and the others. Next it will be Jim.

If Jim Power leaves or is bought out by Shoreview, they are being short sighted.

AMEN FOR THAT! Jim has been SO HELPFUL to ALL of us over the years that I am CERTAIN he is not paid enough! He knows EVERYTHING about every one of the speakers ML has EVER sold! It is AMAZING! Lets hope he and the rest of the Lawrence, KS crew stay with ML...or start another ML beating company we can all know and love!

My thoughts exactly!!! And I really like the part about starting another company...

If they lose Jim Power, well, that's pretty well it.

Interesting response I received back from Jim Power.

"As for me, I haven't retired. After 22 years, my position has been 'down-sized'. Some production has moved to Canada and some positions have been eliminated. Melodie & Dana will still be here to help you.
I will take some time off, relax, work on the house and think about what I want to do in the future.
Again, thanks and happy listening!"
jp

'Nuff said!

Back