ML Mythbusting video

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Kudos to Justin, and the entire ML team, for producing this snazzy video debunking many of the common myths about ESL's...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCodk1tN4GI&hd=1

It's also nice to match the (old) and new ML names with their faces. My only disagreement is with regard to the "sweet spot," as they give the impression it's quite wide. Might have been better to just say that ML's "curvelinear" design offers much better dispersion than other flat panel ESL's. Overall though, very well done! I even cross-posted it to my Facebook wall!

Thanks! It's been something that's on the "to-do" list, and one of the most requested items from our sales team (both internally and our dealers). Seems there's a lot of "I heard that..." out there in the marketplace about ESL speakers, and I'm sure there's more we missed. But hey, that can always be a Part II someday.

In case it wasn't obvious, all of the people in the video work at MartinLogan doing one thing or another. I wanted to involve as many people as possible, and turned out to be a lot of fun in the process.

Thanks for the cross-post!

~Justin

Thanks for posting. Very nicely done and I'll be sharing this with more than a few friends who suffer under many of these myths. BTW, when Pete Soderberg smacks the stat panel a few times in the vid, it immediately brought to mind some years ago when my little nephew decided he would "spank the Logan"... Uncle Todd now has a restraining order against said nephew "never to be within a 50 foot radius of the audio gear - no exceptions - ever".
;)

Cheers

Kudos to Justin, and the entire ML team, for producing this snazzy video debunking many of the common myths about ESL's...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCodk1tN4GI&hd=1

It's also nice to match the (old) and new ML names with their faces. My only disagreement is with regard to the "sweet spot," as they give the impression it's quite wide. Might have been better to just say that ML's "curvelinear" design offers much better dispersion than other flat panel ESL's. Overall though, very well done! I even cross-posted it to my Facebook wall!

I liked it too! But I have to disagree with one thing.

The panels definitely do NOT last as long as conventional cone/dome speakers (with exception of drivers with foam surroundings, which is way cheaper to fix than ESL pannels). It's a known fact on this board that pannels last about 10-20 years (depends on the environment they are in - smoke, dust...)

I also enjoyed the vid, especially the smackin' of the Logan :)
Nice to finally put a face on Peter after years of e-mailing also.

Nicely done video Justin and I enjoyed watching it. I look forward to the sequel! (If there is one)

Glen

It's a known fact on this board that pannels last about 10-20 years (depends on the environment they are in - smoke, dust...)

yeah .....and I'll bet 80% or better of ALL audiophiles don't keep their speakers half that time !

Thanks! It's been something that's on the "to-do" list, and one of the most requested items from our sales team (both internally and our dealers). Seems there's a lot of "I heard that..." out there in the marketplace about ESL speakers, and I'm sure there's more we missed. But hey, that can always be a Part II someday.

In case it wasn't obvious, all of the people in the video work at MartinLogan doing one thing or another. I wanted to involve as many people as possible, and turned out to be a lot of fun in the process.

Thanks for the cross-post!

~Justin

Didn't realize you were responsible for the video until now. Just wanted to thank ya!

I liked it too! But I have to disagree with one thing.

The panels definitely do NOT last as long as conventional cone/dome speakers (with exception of drivers with foam surroundings, which is way cheaper to fix than ESL pannels). It's a known fact on this board that pannels last about 10-20 years (depends on the environment they are in - smoke, dust...)

I would also say that while curved stats have a wider sweet spot than flat ones, it still seems more narrow than cone/dome speakers are able to offer.

Back