ML: Music vs Home Theater

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick suggestion and possibly a cheap solution..
If the Emotiva has pre-outs and the sub has RCA inputs.. connect them! Switch the Emotiva to pure stereo bypassing all processing. Set the sub crossover manually on the unit.
I did this with my Rotel and the difference was outstanding.

Hi mickey... I'm thinking of your post and still trying to figure out how that would work in both Stereo and HT modes.

A pic of my setup
Front wall with Script-i's as mains and Motif center. Sub is under left main in built in cabinet.
attachment.php

Rear wall with Motion 4's as side surrounds...
attachment.php

Last edited:
I'm considering EFX speakers plus a subwoofer for front L/R. They are in the ESL line. I know they are best at surrounds, but do you folks think something like Electromotions would really be better?

The on-wall units, tilted away from the wall would work in our corner location where floor standing units would really not fit.

I'm considering EFX speakers plus a subwoofer for front L/R. They are in the ESL line. I know they are best at surrounds, but do you folks think something like Electromotions would really be better?

The on-wall units, tilted away from the wall would work in our corner location where floor standing units would really not fit.

I have not tried the EFX speakers but i'm going to throw my 2 cents into the "electostatic speaker on the wall" opinion pool. In my humble opinion electrostatic speakers do not sound good close to walls. The soundstage gets terrible and even the sound doesn't seem right. I think flat panel speakers are great but are much more limiting that typical speakers. Positioning is so much more important than typical cone speakers. This doesn't apply to any specific model but just a general statement. It may be that they are bipolar and so some other general design element. My vantages sound best 4-5 feet off the wall. If your going to spend over $3k on speakers I would get floor standing and bring them off the wall, or perhaps even look at some other manufacturer's typical cone speakers (yes I said it) that you can mount on a wall.

Lots of issues here. Scripts are designed as surround effects speakers. Their functionality is compromised for stereo main usage. Being mounted so close to the back and side wall, you have an amplified rear wave reaching your ears about as quickly as the front wave, which creates all kinds of problems and accentuates the brightness.

Also, the emotiva preamp probably isn't the best for high fidelity listening, and I have always thought that Bryston amp was a little dry and bright with Martin Logan speakers. In short, you have very poor system synergy for music. Probably the cheapest fix is to get a good set of headphones for when you want to listen to music and just use this room for home theater. Otherwise, I would suggest selling the scripts and getting some floorstanders, a tube preamp to soften the Bryston, and/or a different amp for driving the main speakers.

rblum

I think Electromotions would sound fantastic and way better than the efx but I have yet to hear the efx. One positive about the EFX is it has the new panel that radiates twice as much sound as a similar sounding older panel. If you however consider electromotions then that opens up another can of worms because the vista are retailing for 2k a pair on audio advisor. Now some vistas up front with that center and sub would really give your theater a hardcore experience

thanks for the comments.... I recognize that the script-i's arent as good for music as a floor stander but I'm limited in placement and ML has marketed the scripts or efx as suitable for more than surround although they need a sub for sure. I used to have Paradigm Reference bookshelves and center sitting on top of cabinet a foot off the rear wall and they did ok but I like the sound of the ML better for home theater. IMO, no regrets with current setup for HT but for serious music listening its not perfect for sure. The look also of the scripts as mains is very slick imo. If I ever change the cabinet, I will consider floor standers and move the scripts to surround duty but I'm not every going to be able to move them 5 feet off the wall with my kids constantly running around the room. I'm going to consider investing a little in the sonosuede panels by Auralex and play with the equalization. My original post was around a lack of dynamics with rock / pop music that have a lot going on in the song (vs acoustic version)... I've other people tell me that rock / pop is just not a strength for ML's, not sure if others think this...

thanks for the comments.... I recognize that the script-i's arent as good for music as a floor stander but I'm limited in placement and ML has marketed the scripts or efx as suitable for more than surround although they need a sub for sure. I used to have Paradigm Reference bookshelves and center sitting on top of cabinet a foot off the rear wall and they did ok but I like the sound of the ML better for home theater. IMO, no regrets with current setup for HT but for serious music listening its not perfect for sure. The look also of the scripts as mains is very slick imo. If I ever change the cabinet, I will consider floor standers and move the scripts to surround duty but I'm not every going to be able to move them 5 feet off the wall with my kids constantly running around the room. I'm going to consider investing a little in the sonosuede panels by Auralex and play with the equalization. My original post was around a lack of dynamics with rock / pop music that have a lot going on in the song (vs acoustic version)... I've other people tell me that rock / pop is just not a strength for ML's, not sure if others think this...

It isn't a problem for some ML's, but is a problem for others. It is a problem for yours. I don't think you're ever going to get dynamics or visceral impact for that combo.

Last edited:

I can't speak for the script-i's but my Vantages seem great for rock. I was just listening to some Rolling Stones and Tom Petty and the heart breakers the other day at a descent volume and it was great. I think it may depend on the specific model of ML but I can say that the Vantages play both classical and rock very well. Correct me if I'm wrong but the script-i's don't have a subwoofer built in, correct? I think without a sub they're not going to be suitable for front channels regardless and certainly not for playing two channel sources that are going to put out a lot of base.

Sorry for maybe muddling up your thread, but my situation is so close to yours that I thought maybe it could help.... Your room and setup is beautiful, by the way. In my room, one corner is the only place for the TV that is reasonably possible, and if I put floor standing speakers 4-5 feet from the wall, any side viewing becomes impossible. Like you, I think wall mounted units would be great looking. For me, there is no other listening room, it has to be this for HT and music. The question is - is wall mounted ML better than another type of floor unit that can't be very deep and also has to be against the wall...??

Are your speakers straight on the wall? I would suggest you do the flashlight placement method and give them some toe-in to point correctly towards the listener. That may not help the frequency response but will do wonders for the imaging.

Since you can't move them from the wall, you may want to test out some sound absorption behind it. Just test it with something simple like a thick blanket and see if that helps with the rear wave.

Also, why not test them out freestanding and see if you notice a difference? Just prop them up against something solid temporarily...heck..even against the cabinet would be a good test. It just might give you options. I could even see them being on top of the cabinet near the edge...that should give you about 2ft of space in the back. With treatment behind it, it might work well enough.

Are your speakers straight on the wall? I would suggest you do the flashlight placement method and give them some toe-in to point correctly towards the listener. That may not help the frequency response but will do wonders for the imaging.

Since you can't move them from the wall, you may want to test out some sound absorption behind it. Just test it with something simple like a thick blanket and see if that helps with the rear wave.

Also, why not test them out freestanding and see if you notice a difference? Just prop them up against something solid temporarily...heck..even against the cabinet would be a good test. It just might give you options. I could even see them being on top of the cabinet near the edge...that should give you about 2ft of space in the back. With treatment behind it, it might work well enough.

Hi shakham,

They are toed in slightly... I definately feel like i have my listening area in the sweet spot becuase when right side up it was obvious that I was not in the stats field disperion pattern. When I have the chance, I may tone down the higher freq a bit as the Emo EMC-1 has a lot of EQ customization options for each channel.

Sorry for maybe muddling up your thread, but my situation is so close to yours that I thought maybe it could help.... Your room and setup is beautiful, by the way. In my room, one corner is the only place for the TV that is reasonably possible, and if I put floor standing speakers 4-5 feet from the wall, any side viewing becomes impossible. Like you, I think wall mounted units would be great looking. For me, there is no other listening room, it has to be this for HT and music. The question is - is wall mounted ML better than another type of floor unit that can't be very deep and also has to be against the wall...??

Hi Rblum, I had bookshelves before sitting on the cabinet top about a foot from the wall. They sounded good with plenty of Dynamic punch but didnt have the ML clarity and precision. For any non-acoustical version of rock or pop, i prefer the bookshelves, for all else and HT the ML are awesome. Plus they look awesome on wall.

In pure stereo mode, input is taken from pre-outs so sub is blended with the mains. Sub-out is not used,
In HT, the direct sub connection takes over.. I think that's how it works in my system. Both stereo bypass and HT sound great.

Hi mickey... I'm thinking of your post and still trying to figure out how that would work in both Stereo and HT modes.

Back