ML EM-FX2 and Motion FX - are they bipole or dipole?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Reaction score
Hi all,

Am considering either the EM-FX2 or Motion FX for a small 1500 cu. ft. room. Anyone know if the tweeters that fire in opposite direction firing in-phase (bipole) or out-of-phase (dipole)? I checked the manuals and they don't say (only say Dispersion is 160° (horizontal) x 30° (vertical)). Thinking of mounting a pair for rear surround and would prefer bipoles than dipoles (switchable would have been better but oh well).

Thanks,
Alex

Hola Alex... why don't you listen to them first, and if you liked them, get them. ML products are designed for the best of what you paid for them. The newer tweeter at the Motion series is amazing, and my ears tell me this. Transparency, free of distortion is the clue here... trust your ears, and happy listening.

alex, ive been trying to figure this question out as well and even Martin Logan cant give a straight answer whether their bi or dipoles....

straight answer time. They are neither. Both tweeters are in phase so the best way to look at them as a traditional with very broad dispersion. We listened to both bipolar and dipolar and ended up with more a "big" sounding traditional based on both music and movie. Given the vagaries and less than ideal locations that most rooms have, we just liked this direction. I have people that have used them as a front satellite to give very broad coverage. Not a tradional answer, design, but one arrived at with lots of listening and looking at typical rooms. a good solution and voiced as close as possible to the ESL.

straight answer time. They are neither. Both tweeters are in phase so the best way to look at them as a traditional with very broad dispersion. We listened to both bipolar and dipolar and ended up with more a "big" sounding traditional based on both music and movie. Given the vagaries and less than ideal locations that most rooms have, we just liked this direction. I have people that have used them as a front satellite to give very broad coverage. Not a tradional answer, design, but one arrived at with lots of listening and looking at typical rooms. a good solution and voiced as close as possible to the ESL.

Thanks Peter... Very helpful. Since my sofa is butted up against the rear wall i did not have the traditional "null" that dipoles seem to like. I may have to give these a try to match with my stats in the front.

they also come with both brackets to allow on wall or in corner so if you are against a wall, assuming a rectangular room, give them a go. Corner mounting works very well.

Thanks as well Peter, exactly what I wanted to know! Like ejn1111, our listening position is too near the rear wall (room is 16'x12.5' with rear wall 12.5' from screen) and I'm planning on using these as rear surrounds so that dipole/out-of-phase would likely not suit. Good to know they're in-phase.

We do have space to the sides so also trying to decide if I should get the FX/FX2 or just the Motion 4 as sides to complement the fronts (Elac with ribbon tweeters) in a 7.1 setup.

I know I'm bumping a very old topic but I have a question on how to place the FX since you don't consider them a bipole or a dipole

I currently have them in the back of the room on the rear wall about 2 feet above ear level and am not happy with the sound. My monopoles sounded better but they were mounted closer and at 110 degrees. Should I follow the same placement with these Motion FX as I would with a monopole speaker for 5.1 surround?

yes. even with the very broad dispersion of the top end, being right behind you as opposed to the 110 degree would still leave you a hole on the side that you are probably experiencing.

Back