ML Center to match sources.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lite

Reaction score
OK, I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this but...

Do I need to go with one of the ESL model center channel speakers to match well with my new Sources and Grotto i sub? Or would say a Motion C or TF work "OK"?

Pretty much, am I going to end up spending $1500 on a single center-channel speaker to match my $1500 mains?

Thanks,
Lite

Current System:
Pioneer Elite SC-37
ML Source (Pair, front main)
ML Grotto i
Integra DBS-30.2
Samsung PN50B650

lots of options

Hi there...

I just recently picked up a set of source, as well as a late model encore tf....

found them both on clearance and couldn't pass it up.

for what its worth, the encore is a really nice center channel... I don't have too many complaints with it, for home theater use it definitely sounds better than just a cheapy speaker...

here's the catch...

if you are doing ALOT of multichannel listening on dvd audio, SACD, etc, you may want to look into one of the currently esl offerings... speaking of, all but the stage are on clearance pricing.... if you're interested lemme know and I can pass on the links...

If things work out realllly well, I may be doing a super quick upgrade to the matinee or the feature, but in all honesty, the encore tf is treating me really well...

I don't have much to compare to as I've never had an esl center, but for the 200$ this thing is wicked.

just my .02c

Pretty much, am I going to end up spending $1500 on a single center-channel speaker to match my $1500 mains?

That just depends on how important home theater sound is to you. The Center Channel is the most important speaker in a home theater setup. If home theater isn't that important, go with a cheaper center. If it is, then you need to match your mains as best you can.

You're not going to be happy with a non-esl center channel - it won't even be close to tone matched. Pick up a used cinema - it'll match well and you should be able to find a nice one for cheap.

You're not going to be happy with a non-esl center channel - it won't even be close to tone matched. Pick up a used cinema - it'll match well and you should be able to find a nice one for cheap.

Actually, I'm using Vignette as a center channel and couldn't be happier. It's pretty amazing for movies though I wouldn't mid trying an ESL at some point. Voicing/matching s pretty good - just watched the extended Avatar blu-ray and no complaints at all. Looking for 2 more Vignettes for my rear channels to round out a full ML 5.1.

BTW, I'm 80% 2 channel and 20% HT.

Currently we're at about 50/50 HT and Music usage. I don't expect HT to ever drop below 40%... The unfortunate part is that even the used (10 year old models) ESL centers are going for $600+

Normally I wouldn't really fret the extra cash for the center, but I'm in the middle of buying a house. I see a new Encore TF available for $199 w/ free shipping, and if I have to *suffer* for a year then buy a better one that may very well be the path I need to choose.

Sadly even Magnepan has cheaper center channel speakers than ML. Granted, I have the bare entry-level ML ESLs, but they still sounded better (to me anyway) than any other speakers in their price range that could not be used as a cat tree...

encore 200$ bargain

Lite-

I feel ya....

as I previously stated, I'm running the encore tf as center, source as mains, and script i's as rears... I couldn't be happier... if this is what suffering is when it comes to ht duty.... well than consider me punished!

yes, I do agree that the tone matching is not perfectly dead on. This isn't really an argument. BUT! For it not being perfectly on, it still sounds great in the ht.

If $ is tight, I can personally highly recommend the encore tf, I am definitely not dissapointed in the speaker at all.

Though, I'm guessing that you've seen the prices on the other center channels on audioadvisor if you saw the encore for 199$.....

for whatever reason their pricing doesn't flex with the retail pricing, instead of #1 #2 #3 in terms of price I believe they have it priced out at #2 #3 #1 from lowest price to highest, forgive me as I can't rememer the names of the centers right now but the cheapest one they have other than the encore tf, (going up to esl) is the center that is powered, just like the purity....

just a thought...but this is going to run 999$

also as previously stated used cinema i and other models can be had for around 600$ give or take, if you have the patience to hunt down the sale and can afford the increase in price.

needless to say, I do plan on eventually upgrading the center, but for now and for the immediate future I have no plans on 'seriously' pursuing a new center... there are much more immediate concerns, like projector, screen, processor, etc etc etc

happy hunting!

just my .02c

My answer to the OP is No

You will find a used matinee for $850 easy and its the best match up because both have paper cones for a seamless front soundstage

I tried the encore and man it sucked bad and sounded horrible with source yuck ,you may as well set fire to $200 and let the ash blow onto your face and into your eyes. Then you should cry thinking about all the kids in africa you could have saved with the $200 you just murderd

Center channel for ESLs

OK, I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this but...

Do I need to go with one of the ESL model center channel speakers to match well with my new Sources and Grotto i sub? Or would say a Motion C or TF work "OK"?

Thanks,
Lite

Current System:
Pioneer Elite SC-37
ML Source (Pair, front main)
ML Grotto i
Integra DBS-30.2
Samsung PN50B650

I would agree with those who have emphasized the importance of center channel speakers for home theater. I have a Stage and have loved it. You can find used CCs on audiogon for about half price which would be a very good deal. The Stage lists for about $3K but if you can score one for 50% off, you are getting the best current ESL made. The Theater is good and may also be a good match for your speakers.

I would agree with those who have emphasized the importance of center channel speakers for home theater. I have a Stage and have loved it. You can find used CCs on audiogon for about half price which would be a very good deal. The Stage lists for about $3K but if you can score one for 50% off, you are getting the best current ESL made. The Theater is good and may also be a good match for your speakers.

I have never seen a theater for $1500 ?

Could you share with us where to find one? I have saw them listed for 2k new but thats it

Back