ML Aerius - Bass Driver not working

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neville

Reaction score
Hello to everyone, first post, i have a slight problem.

Martin Logan Aerius speakers, right hand speaker bass driver has stopped working. Electrostatic panel is ok and playing normally, other than the driver itself giving up the ghost anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

These speakers are used, i have had them for around a year, running them with an integrated 50wpc valve amp and they have provided faultless service until this weekend

Help!!!

I am not technically minded but am prepared to get me hands dirty if necessary. The speakers were switched off yesterday to allow them to discharge

I'd pop the rails or open up from the back if possible, and check the wiring to the bass driver.

You're sure you haven't overdriven and blown the woof? If you had, you'd hear sound but it would be quite distorted.

And also check the "jumpers" of the back side for connectivity.

Otherwise, call ML service.

GG

many thanks for the info, one thing i can guarantee is the speakers haven't been driven to hard, so i will let them discharge and try to get in from the back and have a look around.

Hola. Follow the advice from GG, and also, you could check the dc resistance of the woofer. With the aid of a regular tester, measure the binding posts of the woofer, the below binding post, and check for open circuit. If the measure is open, then you could have an open coil of the woofer. You might need to repair the woofer or get a new woofer. Happy listening!

Ok guys, firstly this forum has members everywhere, nice to talk to people on the other side of the planet who are like minded souls!

Took the back of the cabinet, had a generally look around and to be honest i didn't see anything obvious, it was suggested to check all wiring on terminal blocks, which i did.

I thought a lot of the screws seemed a bit loose, not that the wires were loose, no corrosion to the wiring. I also checked the wiring to the bass speaker which is soldered and seems fine.

Put them back together and plugged them in, allowed them to juice up for half and hour and let my valves heat up, music on NO Change.

Hola Neville. If you read me in the post above yours, you need a DC resistance tester. You can buy one at any electronic shop, and it is very easy to use. If you short the probes, the reading should be 000 reading, if you do not short them, you measure nada, nothing. This is an open circuit. If the woofer is OK, then the reading should be between 3.5 to 4.5 if the coils is 4 ohms, and 7.5 to 8.5 if the coil of the woofer is 8 ohms. If you measure the lower binding posts, the woofer connectors, and the measure is open, then, you have to replace the woofer, or find someone that repairs speakers. To me, you have an open woofer's coil. You can swap the woofers too. If the problem changed to the other speaker, then you found a faulty woofer. Happy listening!

Last edited:
Back