Minimum room size for Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCH

Reaction score
We are moving and are just beginning to consider which house to buy. I have had my Summits in a room approximately 22' x 14', but--so far, anyway--I haven't found any homes that meet our other needs and also offer a dedicated listening room of this or greater size. So, how small is too small? At what point do you suggest I draw the line? Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise and experience. :bowdown:

How far away do you sit from them today? Have you tried near field listening?myself - nothing less than 15 x 15. That gives you 3' from the front wall 7-8' seating distance and 4-5' behind the seated position. You can also get them 7-8' apart and get 3' from each side wall.
Probably need some room treatments but this is about as small as I would go.

I currently have my Spires in a room that is about 10x11 and I'm happy with the sound. I'm not saying it couldn't be better, but unless you are a huge audiophile I wouldn't avoid choosing a home you like because it doesn't have a big enough listening room.

Last edited:
I have a 10' x 18' room and I've got my CLS IIz's sounding great! Room treatments can make a small room sound larger!

I have a 10' x 18' room and I've got my CLS IIz's sounding great! Room treatments can make a small room sound larger!

While I agree I must say that there is nothing wrong , actually alot right, with seeking out a room with adequete demensions for it makes the acoustical treatments even easier.

Myself, not a fan of nearfield listening would recomend you stay within your present demensions. FWIW my Spires are situated in a 14'6" x 23' room and I would want nothing smaller.

While I agree I must say that there is nothing wrong , actually alot right, with seeking out a room with adequete demensions for it makes the acoustical treatments even easier.

Myself, not a fan of nearfield listening would recomend you stay within your present demensions. FWIW my Spires are situated in a 14'6" x 23' room and I would want nothing smaller.

My Summits are in a room 14'x19' and, while it works with adequate acoustic treatment, I really wish I had five more feet each way.

I have Vantages in a room 13.5 x 14.5 and enjoy the sound. I am thinking about upgrading to Summit X but am concerned about the room size. The postings so far seem to be mixed about the minimum size room needed. I await more comments to see the consensus about room size for Summits.

I have the Summit Xs and I find my room performing VERY well! It's 13' x 18'. I have my speakers setup on the long wall due to this room is a walk thru to the rear office and pool bath. With good room treament you can make just about any room work. :music:

CCH, you leaving the MD area? I've the Spires in a 11.5 X 23 room and wouldn't go any larger on the speaker. While reading the CLX anticipation thread and being full of envy :bowdown:, I don't think my room could take or use anymore speaker than I already have.

Gordon

CCH, you leaving the MD area? I've the Spires in a 11.5 X 23 room and wouldn't go any larger on the speaker. While reading the CLX anticipation thread and being full of envy :bowdown:, I don't think my room could take or use anymore speaker than I already have.

Gordon

Yes, I am moving to NC. Actually, I am renting a house there but have not yet put our Maryland house, which we love, on the market.

Thanks for the advice, folks. I am still listening if anyone else would like to offer an opinion. I have the Summits in a temporary room now, something like 14' x 12', and it is nowhere near as satisfying as the original room.

Latest posts

Back