MichelinTires or another brand

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I own a 2000 MB ML430 SUV. Only has 130K miles and is in perfect shape but needs new tires. Absent some unknown catastrophe, I plan on keeping the vehicle for many years to come. MB tire specs are 275 / 55 R17 109H. I put on 10K to 15K max miles per year.

So what are your thoughts on the "best" tire out there? I'm OK with paying the "Michelin" price.

Beside Michelin, I'm considering Hanook, Yokohama, Geolander, or Pirelli. Bridgestone no longer manufactures a tire in this size.

Want a tire that can go for 60K miles, is "quiet", and does well in all seasons and varying road surfaces.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts / experiences.

Gordon

Plug in your car and wheel specs at tirerack dot com, and read the reviews. Also, check the various Mercedes Benz online forums for tire discussions.

I just replaced the OEM Bridgestone tires (~50k mi) on my Lexus SUV with Michelin Latitude Tour XP's (V rated). They were expensive, but I'm willing to pay more for safety, handling, and reliability.

Yep, I' with Dave and Alan on this one Gordon. I also put a set of the Latitudes on my Audi Q5 a year and a half ago and they have been quiet, dependable and great in the Colorado snow.

I couldn't give a rats about performance because I'm not a hoon, but I've always found Michelin to last the longest. Depends on the type of course.

Yep, I' with Dave and Alan on this one Gordon. I also put a set of the Latitudes on my Audi Q5 a year and a half ago and they have been quiet, dependable and great in the Colorado snow.
Tim, I'm surprised you don't use winter tires in Colorado. I always used Michelin summer and winter tires, until a few years ago when I was told by a very knowledgeable friend that Toyo winter tires were superior to Michelin'. So I now use Michelin in the summer and Toyo in the winter.

I know it's a pain switching tires, but I really need winters on my lowly (but extremely reliable) Honda Accord.

Gordon, when I started reading your first post I was confused at first - is this guy really talking about MBL or Martin Logan?

I heard the Michelin tyres provide good vibration control so the stereo in the car sounds better, with more detail and soundstage. With the others it might sound a bit flat

I heard the Michelin tyres provide good vibration control so the stereo in the car sounds better, with more detail and soundstage. With the others it might sound a bit flat

Not true if you install Shun Mook and Mapingo thingies in key locations.

Thanks guys. Validates what I've been thinking.

PS: Adam, what's a "hoon"?

Alan, already did check the online feedback.

Last edited:
I couldn't give a rats about performance because I'm not a hoon, but I've always found Michelin to last the longest. Depends on the type of course.

It's pretty evident from the cables threads that you couldn't give a rats about performance

Tim, I'm surprised you don't use winter tires in Colorado. I always used Michelin summer and winter tires, until a few years ago when I was told by a very knowledgeable friend that Toyo winter tires were superior to Michelin'. So I now use Michelin in the summer and Toyo in the winter.

Mine are multi-season Mud & Snow tires Bernard. I used to swap out tires between seasons on my Audi TT, but the Q5 does great with these tires in all conditions. Now, if I had an SQ5 I'd probably have 2 sets.

Back