meitner MA-1 and Ayre QB-9

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
Well, I just got on the waiting list to have my Ayre QB-9 updated with the new analog section and DSD capability. I have read a lot of reviews that say this is a killer upgrade to the QB-9's sound quality. I'm hopeful, as I have recently compared my QB-9 to a friend's Esoteric DAC and the Esoteric did some things better than my DAC. It will be nice to compare the two again after I receive my DAC back.

On another topic, has anyone heard the meitner MA-1 DAC? The reviews are quite interesting, as this DAC provides 2x DSD upsampling for all PCM playback! It has quite a lot of technology, including what they say is "the world's best DAC/clock combination". If you have listened to this DAC, please let us know what you thought of the sound. Thanks.

I heard the Meitner, Weiss and CAD on Summit X's powered by AR References (new ones). Meitner was the best of the lot, soft, all were more open than AR Dac 8 which I like, the Weiss was too detailed for me and bright, CAD was too neutral.

However yesterday I heard the Lampizator and it blew me away - best source by far, same price, and a brilliant preamp - you don't need a preamp, even an AR Ref, with it. I plugged it in to an AR Ref 110 and Summits. I am buying it straight up, new, while I am usually a used products buyer. My runners up was Esoteric

http://www.lampizator.eu/newdac/lamp...ity_issue.html

All I can say is don't buy till you have heard the lampi

Tried three times to send you Christmas and New Year best wishes. Could not. No empty space in your message folder.
May your heart be filled with love and laughter this holiday season and during the Year 2014.
Best wishes for the New Year.

Tried three times to send you Christmas and New Year best wishes. Could not. No empty space in your message folder.
May your heart be filled with love and laughter this holiday season and during the Year 2014.
Best wishes for the New Year.

Should be plenty of space in my inbox. Anyway, right back you. Have a great New Year in 2014!

All I can say is don't buy till you have heard the lampi

Very good advice. I ordered a new turntable and my DAC is still on the waiting list for upgrade, so it will be a while before I upgrade the digital side of the system. I'm hoping the upgrade to my QB9 will be sufficient for a few years!:rocker:

I've heard the Meitner MA-1 a few times. I prefer the sound of my Bel Canto 3 box DAC3.5VB mkII DAC as it sounds more organic and liquid smooth without sacrificing the highs.

Back