Meeting Gordon Gray

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of having Gordon visit my wife and I the other day. We chatted, ate dinner out and a consumed a few adult beverages while listening to music in our home.

Gordon recommended some adjustments to both my Spires and JL subs which after being made, quite noticeable and enjoyable. He did mention the rack had to move out from between the speakers which I had tried before with good results. Now if I can talk the wife into buying into that major change in our living room!!

I would like to say that Gordon was a very pleasant house guest and hope to visit him in Wyoming in the near future. Gordon, thank you for a wonderful visit and the tips you gave me. Your always welcome at our home.

Gordon & Laura

Hmmm. The guys on the Maggie forum don't seem to like him. :). Sorry GG I saw that thread. :D

Well I've been fortunate enough to meet him and spend time with him and have to say that he is a genuinely funny and fun guy and a class act. What do those Maggie guys know anyway!

Haha. You are right. Guessing you meant this Tim. Every now and then I do stray to the dark side. Gordon was trying to be their Obi Won but the dark side was too strong.

Hi,

Just returned from the east coast. Happy New Year to everyone.

Gordon, thank you and Laura for a wonderful evening of music, food, and conversation. First time I've had the chance to listen to the Spires and a MAC system. It was extremely musical and enjoyable. Gordon has two JL subs and the integration, from what I could tell, was quite seamless. Needless to say, substantial, powerful, defined weight on the low end without any bloat and without compromising the remainder of the sonic picture. Sure humbled my Summits on certain material we played that evening.

Timm, I appreciate your comments about the AA site. I really tried to "assimilate" into the Maggie website but it was to no avail. I tried to be polite and constructive, as I hopefully am on this site but, they are a dedicated crowd and have a definite bias, which may or may not be a positive in the long term.

Comments such as all ML speaker suck (music coming through little holes :eek:) and the CLX being a gigantic rip off, which, by the way per some Maggie fans, are inferior to the 1.6's because the 1.6's go down to 30 HZ. And when I tried to make some innocent let's be friends comments, was belittled. They took shots, I shot back and, in the end, left the site with no desire to return. Also suggested they visit this site but I'm reasonably sure very few will.

As compared to the ML Club, whose members seem generally interested in Justin's Apps, David's Sound Labs, the Wilson Sashas and other speakers of interest.

I did have one of the most amazing audio afternoons on the 30th. Visited GTT Audio Video in Long Valley, NJ. This gentleman built a 5,000 square foot addition onto his residence to accommodate six different, fully equipped listening rooms. Brands included MBL, YG Acoustics, Thiel, Sonus Faber, Solution, etc. After auditioning the 116's, we spent 30 minutes in his OMG room, which included the top YG speakers. We listened to some CD's and vinyl and all I could say was "raise my rent". Truly stunning.

Also had the opportunity to visit Overture in Wilmington, DE. and spent some time discussing hi end audio with Terry Menacker, founder of this amazing audio store. What a class act. While there, listened the Magico M3's supported by Spectral electronics.

My best to all of you and my sincere wishes for a healthy, happy 2011.

GG

Last edited:
Hi,

Timm, I appreciate your comments about the AA site. I really tried to "assimilate" into the Maggie website but it was to no avail. I tried to be polite and constructive, as I hopefully am on this site but, they are a dedicated crowd and have a definite bias, which may or may not be a positive in the long term.

Comments such as all ML speaker suck (music coming through little holes :eek:) and the CLX being a gigantic rip off, which, by the way per some Maggie fans, are inferior to the 1.6's because the 1.6's go down to 30 HZ. And when I tried to make some innocent let's be friends comments, was belittled. They took shots, I shot back and, in the end, left the site with no desire to return. Also suggested they visit this site but I'm reasonably sure very few will.

As compared to the ML Club, whose members seem generally interested in Justin's Apps, David's Sound Labs, the Wilson Sashas and other speakers of interest.

My best to all of you and my sincere wishes for a healthy, happy 2011.

GG

AA is definitely unlike this site. Since purchasing my 1.7's (which I truly enjoy), I visit there most days and read a good deal of opinionated information. Opinions are good but sometimes facts must prevail. There are nuggets that have been quite valuable but it takes some sifting.

HaHa... yes GG -- you were polite and firmly stood your ground... So you listened to the MBLs - and I know you were thinking about those... so give us the full scoop -- you heard a lot of nice stuff it seems....

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll,

The magic that I always remembered was still there. They do "space" like no other transducer I've ever heard. One does give up a certain things with a tweeter / midrange omni array, such as pin point imaging, but the dimensionality is astounding. And the imaging, to my ears, is more than acceptable.

I bought them and have to say bye to my Summits and ML's. Not an easy task to say the least.

I heard some minor anomalies that I trust I can address in my room. Like ML's, Apps, etc, they are quite sensitive to placement, room acoustics, etc.

I was quite impressed with the mid bass / low end even though it was a tad bloated. Good call Justin. However, they were sitting on a rug with no spikes so I'm confident I can address that issue.

Dealer was driving with a Solution 125W stereo amp. No power issues, I think, for my Pass.

Thanks for the interest. Will arrive in about three weeks. Once I've had some time to dial in, I'll provide some additional insight and comparisons, if that is something forum members would be interested in.

GG

Hi Gordon,

Congratulations!!!

I'll put you in touch with my 116F owning friend. I'm sure you'll have a bit to talk about with each other:)

Actually he is an MLOC member having owned CLSIIZs.

Justin

Hi Gordon,

Congratulations!!!

I'll put you in touch with my 116F owning friend. I'm sure you'll have a bit to talk about with each other:)

Actually he is an MLOC member having owned CLSIIZs.

Justin

Hi Gordon & Justin

I am the former CLSiiz owner - now the proud owner of a pair of MBL 116F speakers. I've had them since last March and to say I am pleased with them would be an understatement.

Here is a photo of one of them being driven by one of Justin's 211 valve monoblocks which he brought round to my place for a listening session.

MBLand211amp.jpg

Just a brief point for now ... the MBLs are more than capable of pinpoint imagery, but set within the glorious enveloping soundstage that they do so well. You just have to use suitable partnering equipment and room setup. The best I have heard them in that regard is with a tiny TA2020 chip T-amp! About 10wpc, which is more than enough for most of my needs with the MBLs. The pinpoint imaging was actually a bit much for Justin - he referred to it as "etch-a-sketch"! :D Justin prefers a somewhat more diffuse presentation, although he would call it more natural I think! :p

Anyway, I'm happy to exchange thoughts with you on these miraculous speakers.

Good to hear. May PM you in the future for setup assistance. Thanks Justin.

Gordon

No problem Gordon. Ask Jerry about his "tilting" too;). Thanks for replying Jerry.

Ah yes, the tilting ....

Stereophile and other sources report some graininess with the metal grille in place.
Quite true - it was a bit worriesome at first. How much did I spend for a grainy sound ? :confused:
OK - so take the grille off. But they are then butt ugly, imho. :(

The answer is to tilt the speakers a little forward, so that the small top platform on which the Radialstrahler units sit is just visible from your listening position. Graininess gone! :cool:

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll,

The magic that I always remembered was still there. They do "space" like no other transducer I've ever heard. One does give up a certain things with a tweeter / midrange omni array, such as pin point imaging, but the dimensionality is astounding. And the imaging, to my ears, is more than acceptable.

I bought them and have to say bye to my Summits and ML's. Not an easy task to say the least.

I heard some minor anomalies that I trust I can address in my room. Like ML's, Apps, etc, they are quite sensitive to placement, room acoustics, etc.

I was quite impressed with the mid bass / low end even though it was a tad bloated. Good call Justin. However, they were sitting on a rug with no spikes so I'm confident I can address that issue.

Dealer was driving with a Solution 125W stereo amp. No power issues, I think, for my Pass.

Thanks for the interest. Will arrive in about three weeks. Once I've had some time to dial in, I'll provide some additional insight and comparisons, if that is something forum members would be interested in.

GG

WHOA!!!This is huge!! Congrats.... So long Summits eh? wow.... Definitely keep us in touch with the results....

Back