MDF vs Wood for rack

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
hi all -- since Erik got his 'nice rack' (sounds like something I heard back in high school....anyway -where was I) .... I have been jonesing for a new rack... So - I really liked his and thought I would get one similar. The question is - Does wood make for a better shelf - or would MDF be better given its qualities? I know it is used in speaker manufacture and for other applications to reduce vibration... Any thoughts on this?

Currently my stuff sits under a big ol' tv on glass shelves... I have a place for that tv - which I think I will like better as well...So, this would be a big win-win...

I used to have a stackable rack that had 1" thick MDF shelves. I once tried a cheap 1/2" pressed wood shelf on the rack, and was amazed at the improvement in the sound.

There is the Linn school thought where they recommend a light table instead of a heavy rack for their turntables; something about not storing energy.

There are some audio manufacturers who do not recommend glass shelves; YBA is one, I think.

timm,

My sense is that MDF is a denser material and therefore should "ring" (vibrate) less than wood. My rack has 1-1/2" thick MDF shelves.

From what I've read, and take it for what it's worth, glass is a shelf material that should be avoided.

The basic concept is to have a rack that provides a very stable platform that minimizes any vibrations that can be transmitted to the equipment on the individual shelves. From there, you can install various footers under each piece of gear that further isolate the equipment from vibrations reaching the individual shelf.

From my personal experiences (and experimentation) over the years, anything that one can do to attenuate or eliminate any hardware vibration will yield positive sonic results. These include better soundstaging, imaging, dimensionality, speed, less blurring, improved mid bass / low end response to mention a few.

Bernard's observations, on the before and after impacts, are not atypical.

GG

Last edited:
timm, be sure to check out Adona racks. Mine use a granite and wood combination shelf. This way, Adona "tunes" their racks, in order to dissipate certain vibrational frequencies. Prior to using my current rack, I used a very heavy, huge maple cutting board beneath my VPI. I was actually quite amazed at the sound improvement when I placed the VPI directly on the Adona rack.
http://www.adonacorporation.com/index.html

Thanks GG Bernard & Steve. I will go look at the adona racks - check out prices etc. The one Erik has the pics of - I thought looked nice. You can fill the tubes and of course it ismodular. I would look for the three legged model. I also have a hunk of granite that I could try to integrate if I can find a place to cut it.

This gets better. I put down my purse today and told my wife that I was moving the tv in the mancave. This is going to be good.

Just looked at the adona racks. Wonder how difficult or 'good' it would be to take those granite tiles they sell at home depot or lowes and attach them to mdf board. It would be easy to do. Just think the results would be similar.

timm,

Once you reach a point where you can decipher the difference, you will know you are getting close.

GG

I wanted to buy Adona racks but could not afford them, so I bought Salamander instead.

There is the Linn school thought where they recommend a light table instead of a heavy rack for their turntables; something about not storing energy.

Yes - this is an interesting concept. The physics of it is this: The larger/heavier object will always transfer its energy into the smaller and lighter object. Just like a hammer does when you hit the nail.

Heavier object dominates lighter object.

So a lighter base will not transfer as much energy/vibration into the TT as a large/solid/heavy base.

This needs to be considered when choosing a base, but in the context of the entire system. Eg. house dominates equipment platform because all equipment platforms are lighter than a solid concrete floor. The platter will always dominate the actual LP as well which is why you want as little vibration reaching it. Whether the platter or the plinth dominates will be up to the manufacturer.

Interesting. It's one reason why IKEA "Lack" tables are so good as TT platforms.

Last edited:
just re-read one of my posts -- for clarity -- the tv is all ready in the mancave - but sits between my odysseys... there is another place...in the mancave where I can put it -- hence giving me a tv space and a music space... Nobody thinks its a good idea but me!! :)

When it comes to racks etc... I am 'old school' - I think the heavier the better. Comes from my turntable days when I had my thorens sitting on a lightweight table - and whenever anyone would walk across the floor - you could hear it. But, that is an interesting concept Amey -- I never really thought about the hammer example...hmmm maybe my thinking is all wrong - like THAT's never happened before!! :D

Thanks GG Bernard & Steve. I will go look at the adona racks - check out prices etc. The one Erik has the pics of - I thought looked nice. You can fill the tubes and of course it ismodular. I would look for the three legged model. I also have a hunk of granite that I could try to integrate if I can find a place to cut it.

This gets better. I put down my purse today and told my wife that I was moving the tv in the mancave. This is going to be good.

That's what I want to attempt with this rack, down the line. The only thing to double check is to make sure that the granite slabs aren't too heavy and surpass the weight limit of the rack itself.

Erik

That's what I want to attempt with this rack, down the line. The only thing to double check is to make sure that the granite slabs aren't too heavy and surpass the weight limit of the rack itself.

Erik

Hi Eric -- If you look at the adona racks -- which use a combination of granite and mdf - the granite does not appear that thick... Which is why I started to think of the granite tiles at Lowes. It wouldn't have the weight of a 1" thick piece of granite... I have a slab of that (1.25" thick) - it is about 24" X 24" - and it is break your back heavy....

Hey - do you know if those end-caps screw off? Or if you wanted to fill the tube - are you stuck trying to push it thru hole that the spike screws into?

Hi Eric -- If you look at the adona racks -- which use a combination of granite and mdf - the granite does not appear that thick... Which is why I started to think of the granite tiles at Lowes. It wouldn't have the weight of a 1" thick piece of granite... I have a slab of that (1.25" thick) - it is about 24" X 24" - and it is break your back heavy....

Hey - do you know if those end-caps screw off? Or if you wanted to fill the tube - are you stuck trying to push it thru hole that the spike screws into?

True if the granite slab weighs 15-20 lbs, say, you are probably in good shape.

Those caps came already installed on the tubes and I tried fiddling with it a second ago. My guess is that they are press-fit onto the tubes. I don't think they are screwed in place.

Thus, if you wanted to fill with sand , you'd have to use the threaded hole for the spiked feet (or remove those caps somehow...)

Erik

Last edited:
But, that is an interesting concept Amey -- I never really thought about the hammer example...hmmm maybe my thinking is all wrong - like THAT's never happened before!! :D

It's not necessarily wrong. As I said, it has to be thought of as an entire system. A heavy base in turn will absorb less energy from the floor.

So there is no right or wrong. Well, there is right and wrong, but that will depend greatly on the construction of your house, construction of your TT and weight of your TT.

Erik thanks for posting the pics of your rack. I ordered the one with three legs as opposed to four. Got two extra shelves cuz they were doing a 15% off deal which got me the second extra shelf for 20 bucks. I am going to go with two stacks. Either a 3/2 config or a 3/3. Don't think I need the extra shelf yet. :devil:

Just looked at the adona racks. Wonder how difficult or 'good' it would be to take those granite tiles they sell at home depot or lowes and attach them to mdf board. It would be easy to do. Just think the results would be similar.

Just wouldn't do that. Even a difference in the glue could show up...either positively or negatively. I have an Adona rack and it is all anyone could ever want or need....slick stable quiet and oh so high end looking! Check out my system.

Just wouldn't do that. Even a difference in the glue could show up...either positively or negatively. I have an Adona rack and it is all anyone could ever want or need....slick stable quiet and oh so high end looking! Check out my system.

Jerry - oh I know those racks are awesome. I just didn't want to go their pricewise. I will go check yours out

Jerry - oh I know those racks are awesome. I just didn't want to go their pricewise. I will go check yours out

I wouldn't hesitate to negotiate with the guy....I got about 20% off when I bought mine 3 years ago and things were not so dismal in the economy. You may have even better results nowadays.

Back