MBL7008 to power Aeon i's - any thoughts?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scumurculum

Reaction score
At present I am simplifiying my system. from transport-dac-preamp-power amp to just cd player and integrated. (i'm sick of all the cables)

Already bought the cd player - densen 400xs (wow by the way)

At present i am considering a mbl7008 as an integrated power amp.

it does 120w into 8 ohm;
200w into 4 ohm; and
380w into 2 ohm.

I have a pair of aeon i's which i like to crank up at times, not ear bleeding but loud enough

Does anyone think this is power enough to drive the aeons, to the desired level?

Last edited:
MBL on Aeon i's? Isn't that overkill? I don't know the 7008 so maybe not, but most of the MBL stuff is SKY HIGH in price. I wonder if you could not find something equally good for less in the integrated market. MBL is really known for their high end separate stuff... That said, I LOVE my 101a's! WOW!! Would LOVE to power and pre those bad boys with some MBL gear and have a full on MBL system...

I don't know of anyone using this combination but I would expect that the MBL integrated amp would do just fine for most listeners. But since you prefer to "crank it up" you may want to consider a more powerful amp to drive the Aeon i's.

I do know from personal experience that an integrated amp like the Krell 400xl works very well with the Aeon's, Ascents and Odysseys. It's powerful: 200w @ 8 ohms, 400w @4 and 800w@ 2. However, it may not be as smooth sounding as an MBL integrated would. The only way to know for sure is to try the MBL out for yourself to see how well it handles your preferred volume levels.

I drive my Ascent i's with a 75wpc Primare integrated. I'm in a 12' x 13' x 9' room, and the Primare can push the Ascents to 100db (measured playing music on a RS dbm, at the listening position). That's with the digital volume control at 50 out of 79. No sign of clipping, but I didn't feel the need to push it any further.
But, the Primare plays louder than a 125wpc Parasound, and about as loud as a 325wpc Sunfire. Both the Parasound and Sunfire were amps driven by the Primare's pre outputs. If that makes sense to you than you're smarter than me. I just chalk it up to "watts ain't necessarily watts."
Hope this helps.

Mike

I drive my Ascent i's with a 75wpc Primare integrated. I'm in a 12' x 13' x 9' room, and the Primare can push the Ascents to 100db (measured playing music on a RS dbm, at the listening position). That's with the digital volume control at 50 out of 79. No sign of clipping, but I didn't feel the need to push it any further.
But, the Primare plays louder than a 125wpc Parasound, and about as loud as a 325wpc Sunfire. Both the Parasound and Sunfire were amps driven by the Primare's pre outputs. If that makes sense to you than you're smarter than me. I just chalk it up to "watts ain't necessarily watts."
Hope this helps.

Mike
Good to hear from another satisfied Primare owner. I'm a proud owner of the SPA21 (as well as the CD21 & T23) which drives my Aeon i's just fine. There's currently a SPA21 listed on Ebay which started at $699. I can't believe how low I've seen some on Ebay, Craigslist & Audiogon. Primare doesn't get enough recognition here in the US. Primare owners know that they've got a sleeper of an amp with lots of horsepower under its hood both for 2 channel & home theater.

If anyone can get an MBL for bargain prices... I say go for it.

Thanks for the responses guys, the MBL amp I am considering is in Sydney, whereas I am in Brisbane - 1000km away hence auditioning is a little difficult.

I am at present am using a Krell 300ir for power amp duties which has 150w into 8, 300w into 4 ohms and has provided all the power i needed. This power is close to the MBL. However a lot of people say that Krell watts means more power than the equivalent of other brands. ie "Watts aint necessarily watts"

So hence my question.

My plans for a venture into integrateds (with ht pass-through) is so my wife can use the system. At the moment no matter how much I explain she cant work out how to switch from 2ch to tv to dvd etc. So I plan a system so she can change functions at the press of a remote button.

However, I don’t wish to compromise on sound quality in any way so the search is on.

Other integrateds I am looking at are the Conrad Johnson CA200, Electrocompaniet EC5 - which are both around the same price new as the MBL used.
I will miss my Primaluna preamp though

Last edited:
I take it the MBL is at AudioConnection? What about the others?

At that price they may well send it up for you. Alternatively, a flight down on JQ is only $60 or so - considering the price of the amp - not much, and think of all the other audio toys with which you could play in an afternoon there!!

Last edited:
Well I dunno whether this helps but all the MBL kit I have heard so far has been great... but it has been top of the range or "one down", if you know what I mean.

I use a Bryston B100 DA SST integrated on my Aeon I. Its a 100 watt model, but it measures 125 watts at the spec sheet from the factory. Works very well for me.

Amey

Yes, the one in question is the one in audioconnection. I'd be suprised if they would send it up, but hey it cant hurt asking. Ill give them a call today.

The others are amps stocked by dealers in Brisbane, and which I can take home and audition without much too difficulty and they are amps I know have a ht passthrough option.

I have heard the CJ CA-200 on a friends B&W 804s it does sound amazing and is the most powerful of the ones i am looking at at 185w at 8 ohm. However, CJ provides no info on how the amp can handle low impedence loads.

The MBL is cheaper though.

By the way, thanks Nielsen i'll look into the Bryston.

Last edited:
Good to hear from another satisfied Primare owner. I'm a proud owner of the SPA21 (as well as the CD21 & T23) which drives my Aeon i's just fine. There's currently a SPA21 listed on Ebay which started at $699. I can't believe how low I've seen some on Ebay, Craigslist & Audiogon. Primare doesn't get enough recognition here in the US. Primare owners know that they've got a sleeper of an amp with lots of horsepower under its hood both for 2 channel & home theater.

If anyone can get an MBL for bargain prices... I say go for it.

Not to hijack Scumurculum's thread and turn it into a Primare group hug, but I agree they make very good stuff for the $$. I also have the CD21 and like it a lot.
I have a Jolida 100 watt tube integrated on the way. I'm anxious to see how the Jolida compares to the Primare. Should be here next Friday.

Back