Martin Logan vs Meridian room correction

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Hi, I am close to choosing between an used Meridian system (G68/861v4 with 5200+3100), and a Martin Logan surround system with Electromotion + centre + surround fired by Arcam AVR, maybe add a Krell to the Arcam if I think it gives me better musicality).

While I will be testing these two more at dealers' places, I wanted to know what could possibly happen when I bring them home. I live in a Victorian converted house in London with high ceilings and wooden floors, around 14 * 18. I think this will create a bass boom. The house is hard.

I can add granite slabs or auralex pads below the speakers.

Will DSPing make Meridian sound closer to the dealer's place than the Logans? Do 5200s or 5000s, get bassy in such homes? Or will Logans with a good room correction keep the purity they show at a dealer's place?

Dunno about room correction but I can definitely tell you the Krell will be much better than a receiver for the Logans.

For the record, I've never needed room correction for any of my Logans and different houses. I think they would sound great covered in molasses and 10 feet underwater :music:

Do either the Arcam or Meridian pre-pros have room correction or even a few user-adjustable PEQ filters?

Granite slabs and Auralex pads won't help you with boomy bass from room modes.

Yeah it is going to be difficult to predict. Depending on how involved you want to get with you research you could run some computer simulations of your room haha. But it would be much easier to just get them home as start playing around with them. The tough part is that bass frequencies can be difficult to deal with. Just get them home and consider investing in some bass traps if it is too "boomy."

Thanks guys. Yes I will be getting a home demo. I don't mind getting a home demo for Logans, because if they sound good at home I will buy them straight up. I want to buy Meridians in the used market, since they are too expensive otherwise, and therefore I don't want to trouble a dealer to demo it at my place, and then not buy from him.

So, this is what I am looking for - if you see this version of Stairway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYolTI-1nqA , especially between 2:40 and till the drums start, the acoustic and vocals float around the room with much clarity on a Logan. Also, when he says "my spirit is crying for leavin", the guitar notes at "leavin" go down beautifully on a Logan. Similarly so when he says voice is those of who stand Looking. On the other hand the drum section has more punch on a Meridian

If you see this version of immigrant song, it hits you hard on a meridian. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm6w4J4wXf4

Last edited:
the advantage of the Meridian kit is that it only EQs from 250Hz on down. So it maintains the focus on taming the problematic bass room modes and has no effect on the rest.

as for the 5200 vs the electromotions, they will sound vastly different. The Meridian 5200 is a bass monster, with very powerful output in the 40 - 400Hz range. Way more than electromotions will ever deliver. But the EM's will slay the Meridian in the over 500Hz range, where the purity and power of the ESL are huge.

In a room with hard surfaces, you will need to pay attention to resonance management in the mid-range and highs. I suggest you peruse our room acoustics sub forum for further input in that regard.

Ultimately, you need to decide if you prefer the punchy mid-bass of the meridian dynamic speaker, or the clear and powerful (and room dominating) mids and high output of the MartinLogans.

Back