martin logan vantage or electromotion

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Between these 2 models: Vantage vs Electromotion, I'd lean toward the Vantages for the following reasons:
  1. Vantages come with internal bass amplifier. Your amplifier will have an easier load, since it will only need to focus on mids and highs.
  2. With only 1 set of binding post, Electromotion does not give you the option of bi-amping in the future if this is something you'd want to pursue later.

Spike

Between these 2 models: Vantage vs Electromotion, I'd lean toward the Vantages for the following reasons:
  1. Vantages come with internal bass amplifier. Your amplifier will have an easier load, since it will only need to focus on mids and highs.
  2. With only 1 set of binding post, Electromotion does not give you the option of bi-amping in the future if this is something you'd want to pursue later.

Spike

Very true, I was going to pull the trigger on the Vantages for the reasons you listed above, but after hearing the Electromotions for the money it was a no brainer. They use the same panel and crossover, the enclosure is better on the Vantages and of course the bass. I am listing to them right now and they are like a slice of heaven. I local dealer had a pair of demo, Vantages but they were beat up a tad so I went to a Magnolia store and walked out with the Electromotions "they are that good"! I have owned several ML speakers, I would have most likely gotten the Vantages but I already own a pair of Dynaudio Confidence speakers. Here is a pic.

List Price:

Vantage: 5700.00
Electromotion: 2000.00

After hearing them both them pretty easy decision. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 3,864
To be fair to the original poster's posed question, your price comparison should look like this:

Cost:

Used Vantage: 2300.00
New Electromotion: 2000.00

Given that price differential, and the Vantage's more robust build, onboard amplifier, greater low frequency extension, and lower crossover point, I would have to say that the Vantages are the better buy.

Very true, I was going to pull the trigger on the Vantages for the reasons you listed above, but after hearing the Electromotions for the money it was a no brainer. They use the same panel and crossover, the enclosure is better on the Vantages and of course the bass. I am listing to them right now and they are like a slice of heaven. I local dealer had a pair of demo, Vantages but they were beat up a tad so I went to a Magnolia store and walked out with the Electromotions "they are that good"! I have owned several ML speakers, I would have most likely gotten the Vantages but I already own a pair of Dynaudio Confidence speakers. Here is a pic.

List Price:

Vantage: 5700.00
Electromotion: 2000.00

After hearing them both them pretty easy decision. ;)

they are not the same panel size the vantage panel is bigger I have heard them side by side in the same store last Saturday and the vantage definitely has an ad-VANTAGE.

electromotion panel » Panel Dimensions 34" x 8.6"
(86cm x 22cm)

vantage panel Panel Dimensions
40" × 9.3" (101.6 × 23.6cm)

Last edited:
they are not the same panel size the vantage panel is bigger I have heard them side by side in the same store last Saturday and the vantage definitely has an ad-VANTAGE.

electromotion panel » Panel Dimensions 34" x 8.6"
(86cm x 22cm)

vantage panel Panel Dimensions
40" × 9.3" (101.6 × 23.6cm)

I stand corrected the Panel is bigger on the Vantage, but they are of the same breed and the same crossover. Sorry guys for the misconceptions as my excitement got the best of me on this. I should have been much more "specific" in my post. Same panel smaller size, and Repman I agree I would give the Ad-Vantage to them, all depends on what your listening to, room etc... I have owned Summits, CLS's and SL3's in the past, working for high end dealer before I got married had its advantages as well. My favorite speakers are Dynaudio/Martin Logan and Joseph Audio in that order. I just think ML hit the ball out of the park with this speaker, price and performance.

Give it a few months as I am sure you will see used Electromotion for $1500 or less. I have seen the Vantages going for used $2600-$2900 and higher where are they for $2200?

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl?Martin+Logan

Last edited:
Are the Dyn's the C1? They look very familiar but may have my models mixed up.

Gordon

Pair for $2500 right now, but once again local pickup, as it about 200 bucks to ship these puppies. Again not apples to apples in many respects, as the Vantage is a better speaker overall. But the Electromotions are very good in many respects and a better bang for your buck. "opinion" of course. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Martin-Logan-Va...ubwoofers&hash=item2c5bc8b41d#ht_16801wt_1141

Isn't the Vantage one of the most over-achieving ESL speakers to date? "Best bang for the buck" is relative. To someone who was looking at Summit and found the Vantage "almost as good," will say that the Vantage is the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Isn't the Vantage one of the most over-achieving ESL speakers to date? "Best bang for the buck" is relative. To someone who was looking at Summit and found the Vantage "almost as good," will say that the Vantage is the best bang for the buck.

Now that depends on what you can afford now doesn't it. ;) Not going get into a P i s s ing match and offend people who already own the Vantage as it is one hell of a speaker I almost bought a pair. I suppose we can get into a philosophical debate and bore the crap out of everyone. :music: Just go listen and compare, pretty simple and let your ears and pocket book do the rest! Like I said "Opinion" much like yours.

Gordon: The ones in the pick are my C2's, I do own a pair of C1's as I have been a Dynaudio Fan for years. I also have owned several MLs over the years as well, and I am enjoying the new ones. I should ask you how you like the Fathom, as I was interested in buy one.

Last edited:
Hi Audionirvana,

I have haerd the C2's many times and really like them.What differences do you find between the C2's and Martin Logans in general sound wise? Congradulations on your purchase.

Hi Audionirvana,

I have haerd the C2's many times and really like them.What differences do you find between the C2's and Martin Logans in general sound wise? Congradulations on your purchase.

The C2's are very accurate and detailed and smooth, just sound good on just about anything I play on them except a poorly recorded MP3. ;) The Logans are room filling sound, that throw up a huge soundstage. Example, in my office right now and my HT room is right next door I have the Logans on in the other room and it sounds like they are in my office. That alone to me is a wow factor that is hard to beat with the Logans!

Isn't that what my post was about? :rolleyes:

Well since your an Vantage owner, pretty easy to figure out. LOL :D Believe me I can afford the Summits and the Vantage, but I thought my C2's sounded better hence the speakers right next to them. ;) Either way you slice it both look and sound great!

Well since your an Vantage owner, pretty easy to figure out. LOL :D Believe me I can afford the Summits and the Vantage, but I thought my C2's sounded better hence the speakers right next to them. ;) Either way you slice it both look and sound great!

Ah nevermind...miss the point of my post again. :confused:

The Electromotion really are a great value for a new speaker with full Warranty and all. Even better, unlike previous lower cost ESL Designs which used the older Gen.2 Panel the EM uses the Xstat. So glad you are enjoying them so much.
Cheers,
JJ

Latest posts

Back