martin logan summits versus Sound Lab millennium PX3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papageno

Reaction score
Hi,
Was thinking of upgrading my vantage to summits but saw the full range electrostatics from Sound Lab (Millennium Px3) that is comparatively priced. Unfortunately my dealer does not have the Sound lab electrostats. Anybody heard them and do they compare to ML Summits. Wondering whether an interstate trip to another dealer is worth it. Any comments?

It is a very good electrostatic option. If I have to choose between them, my vote will be the Summits X and three reasons why. 1) There is no grill, no cloth. We all know that this is something between me and the signal souce. Some might think this is none sense, others might agree with me. 2) I do like the curvilinear dispersion pattern. Since the begining, ML is a curvilinear device. The look of the transparent panel is something that I do like too. 3) The bass control at the Summits are the best way to control the standing waves that are in every room. You can adjust +-10db at 25 Hz and +-10dB at 50Hz. Please note that these controls are not parametric, so you really can have a smooth bass in your room with them. Only your ears can tell, and I do trust in my ears. The SL are big speakers too and the WAF factor is important (WAF= wife aceptance factor). But it is your liking!!! Happy listening.

I haven't heard the Soundlabs, but I would be willing to bet that the Summit will dig way deeper and do so with way more power and impact. Definitely something to consider buying in that price range, in my opinion.

Thanks for the response. The only reason why I am debating is the Sound labs is a full range electrostatic at that price compared to the hybrid Summit.

I think it is very hard to get good lows with a purely electrostat design. I haven't listened to the 3PX so I can't comment specifically, but I have listened to a wide range of magnepann speakers and they never seem to get the bass as well as my ML Vantage speakers (even though they may be more expensive, at least their high end models). The other thing you may consider is the 3PX and a sub together....

Send a PM to David Matz. He went over to Soundlabs from MLs. He hasn't posted for some time, but will have something interesting to say.

I'd go and listen to the Soundlabs. The only real way to see if YOU like them better than.MLs.

I urge you to also consider restored Apogee Duetta Sigs. In my opinion, the bass from those is superior to any ML. BTW I own a Descent - but it is very rarely on.

Back