Martin Logan Motion Series suggestions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Need some advice. I have a Yamaha RXv765 receiver that I will be using for my next set of speakers. My wife and I heard the Motion 15's, with the Motion 8 for a center, at Best Buy and we loved them. There is a setting to make the receiver work with 6ohm speakers. If I change the setting, it says 4ohm front, 6ohm rears, so I think I will be ok with powering these speakers since they are 4 or 5ohm. I was looking at either the Motion 4's or come ML IC's for the rears. The room is 15x15, with a 9' ceiling. Bookshelves would be actually be on bookshelves, 13 feet from the listening position. Center would be on a mantel, slightly higher than the bookshelves (by about 2 feet). The surrounds will be mounted up high in the rear corners, or IC's would be obviously in the ceiling =). What IC's would work well (trying to keep the price down a little if possible in this regard)? For a sub I am keeping my trusty BIC F12. Any thoughts? I am trying to keep the 5 speakers around $1500, and LX16's can be found for around $500/pr, so that is an option.

A pair of LX16s for around $500 is a very nice deal ... I bought a pair of them last month at that price and am very happy with them (as you may know, they are last year's Motion 15s - basically the same speaker). Currently, I am using only one of them as my center channel speaker along with my Motion 40s and a dynamo 700 ... I plan on buying one more (either a 15 or 16) to complete a 5.1 rig.

You may want to consider an LX16 or a Motion 15 for your center channel ... from what I've been reading lately (regarding the issue/problem of sound wave interference called "lobing" that results from the traditional center speaker (MTM) design ... which, FYI, my local ML salesman calls mere hyperbole), three identical speakers across the front (L/C/R) is an ideal set up. I'm quite pleased the way my Motion 40s and the LX16 have seemlessly blended together to provide me with a very dymamic soundstage ...

Here's wishing you well.

good luck with your new set up ... I hope you can get ypour hands on those LX16s ... great price for some great speakers

attn border411 and anyone else who read this thread ... I introduced the issue of lobing today (2/13/13) in the general topics section ... we received a nice reply from Peter explaining how MartinLogan effectively designs their center channels to avoid acoustic lobing.
I'm sorry if I caused any undue concern for anyone.

Back