Martin Logan ESL or ESL-X if I already have a sub

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fbuckley

Reaction score
Looking into getting a new set of speakers. Loved the Focus ESL C18 Center but would need some electrostatic fronts to match. Would it be better to get the base ESL or ESL-X? Small/medium room, already have dedicated subwoofer. Another factor of going base is because its half of the price of the ESL-X, I wanted the better center over better towers. Would I be missing out/messing up?

I compared the radiating area on the two and the larger one is about %15 larger. To me that's probably the most important thing. What subwoofer are you using?

Do you have the ability to out and listen to both? One has slightly more ESL radiating area, slightly lower crossover frequency, and costs a lot more. Only your ears can tell if the tradeoffs are worth the money. Ideally, of course, listen to both with the sub you have, but that may be difficult to arrange. But always, your own ears are the final arbiter. It's a lot of scratch you are thinking of spending either way, so I would make every effort.

If willing to consider used, the classic 9 is worlds better than either of the entry level speakers and you’ll find them usually around $3,500…I did after first having the base model.

Yeah its kind of difficult getting a fair comparison without buying them first, espeically in the space I would be in. Are ESL's typically bad for theater since they're very directionally precise? If i had more than just myself watching, their experience might be odd. Would it be better to just go for the focus xt line? My main draw is the focus esl c18 center. Not electrostats in general.

I use a rebuilt LOGOS with my ELS. Since the center puts out the vast majority of the sound a very good center with ELS would work very well.
Depending on you budget, if you can get a good deal on Classic 9s I would go that direction.

Think about purchasing a better quality for one now and grow the system into it over time.

I had ESL’s and moved up to Classic 9’s recently. A nice step overall, but low end difference not huge. I just added a Dynamo 800X to existing Dynamo 400. Huge upgrade in low end! The 400 is a toy in comparison. Haven’t heard the ESL X, but I would probably advise buying ESL’s and an 800X or 1100X or two each.

I went through the same considerations and ended with the EM X over the ESL 9. My Cinema i needed repair at the cost of the EM C but got a good deal on the C18 which sounded like a true upgrade calling for an upgrade of my 20y old Aeon.

Decision was looks/size and a sound improvement not justifying the additional cost - I have a Dynamo 1100x. In addition the impediance makes the load on the amplifier less.

The savings will go into upgrade of my turntable instead.

I went through the same considerations and ended with the EM X over the ESL 9. My Cinema i needed repair at the cost of the EM C but got a good deal on the C18 which sounded like a true upgrade calling for an upgrade of my 20y old Aeon.

Decision was looks/size and a sound improvement not justifying the additional cost - I have a Dynamo 1100x. In addition the impediance makes the load on the amplifier less.

The savings will go into upgrade of my turntable instead.
Do you think the 9a aluminium woofers sound better than the doped paper woofers of the ESL -X?

Let me put it this way, if i didnt know which was playing i wouldn't notice. And with the sub engaged from 80hz below the added stifness by the alu is possible not adding any benefit. In any case I'd say the EXL X in the bass is better than the Aion i, feturing the alu cone, was. And overall by far better. I did not have the possibility of an A/B test but my assessment was that not much was gained by the spending the extra buck. So it came mote down to design and the fact the ESL X is easier to drive. And the dealer was not pushing, on the contrary, in particular as
I use a sub also for music.

Back