Martin Logan Center - Motif vs. Stage - Dialogue Intelligibility

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akopperl

Reaction score
I am planning on adding a center to a pair of Montis speakers and was hoping to get opinions on the best center channel match.

My dealer does not have either available for demo otherwise I would audition each speaker and make my decision. Initially I was leaning to the Stage since it is the larger, more expensive speaker. However, after reviewing the specs I became intrigued by the Motif. What I found interesting is that the panel crosses over to the tweeter at 2700 Hz for the Stage, but at 4000 Hz for the Motif. I have read in some articles that the most important frequency range for dialogue intelligibility is 2000 Hz to 4000 Hz. Therefore, I though that dialogue intelligibility, which is my top criteria, may be better with the Motif since that range is fully covered by the panel. Am I reading too far into specs? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

I would choose the center that best matches your front. Since your Montis is the larger panels I would recommend the Stage. It can keep up with your front during loud passages better than the Motifs can.

I generally recommend getting the biggest center you can afford for for size and price. The center is a critical channel in multi-channel music and movies.

As for where the crossover is, your instincts are correct, having it out of the critical region would be best, but it's all in how its implemented. The Stage is a great-sounding center.

I generally recommend getting the biggest center you can afford for for size and price. The center is a critical channel in multi-channel music and movies.

As for where the crossover is, your instincts are correct, having it out of the critical region would be best, but it's all in how its implemented. The Stage is a great-sounding center.

Is placement more difficult for the Stage?

I will be placing the center channel speaker on a shelf in a Salamader Triple Synergy rack. It will not be on the top shelf, but inside the top riser. Therefore, there will be a shelf above and below the unit. I also will not be able to use the stand as I only have about 11" of clearance. I would have to be creative to tilt the speaker to the listening area. My bigger concern is the shelf above the speaker considering that the Stage is concave. The Motif seems to be easier to place by using the included stand and setting it on the edge of the shelf, but I would purchase the Stage if placement won't adversely affect the Satge's perfromance. I have also read that you should put some type of room treatment behind the Stage.

Is placement more difficult for the Stage?

I will be placing the center channel speaker on a shelf in a Salamader Triple Synergy rack. It will not be on the top shelf, but inside the top riser. Therefore, there will be a shelf above and below the unit. I also will not be able to use the stand as I only have about 11" of clearance. I would have to be creative to tilt the speaker to the listening area. My bigger concern is the shelf above the speaker considering that the Stage is concave. The Motif seems to be easier to place by using the included stand and setting it on the edge of the shelf, but I would purchase the Stage if placement won't adversely affect the Satge's perfromance. I have also read that you should put some type of room treatment behind the Stage.

My Stage is in a Salamander rack as you describe. I am not even able to angle it up. See my pictures on Flickr at bottom of post. Works perfectly. Dialog is crisp and clear.

My Stage is in a Salamander rack as you describe. I am not even able to angle it up. See my pictures on Flickr at bottom of post. Works perfectly. Dialog is crisp and clear.

Do you have anything behind the speaker like a sound absorption panel?

I been having then same question in another thread.

I have motion 12s for fronts
Motion 10s for sides and rears
And 2 dynamo 500s for subs

Some people say go with a motion c to match my setup and some people say go to the highest center you can afford since its going into a theater room mostly for movies.

Back