Martin logan at Future Shops

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, Magnolia Best Buy's. All of the Best Buy stores around here have Magnolia, so I just associate them together, I guess. When I was in there the other day and listening to Source, I told the guy that I had summits at home. He then offered to order me some CLX's. They definitely can sell them. haha

Magnolia is only in the western us i believe. Im also willing to bet that because they are not a reserve dealer, that he will be turned down if he tries to order them. I work for a dealer, and im not a reserve dealer, so I can't get them.

Last edited:
Some Magnolia stores are "Reserve" dealers but most are not. In Las Vegas the Magnolia/Best Buy told me they could not get the CLX.

I am in Indiana, so Magnolia is certainly beyond the Western US. The guy that assisted me was wearing manager atire, so I have to assume he knew what he was talking about.

Magnolia is only in the western us i believe. Im also willing to bet that because they are not a reserve dealer, that he will be turned down if he tries to order them. I work for a dealer, and im not a reserve dealer, so I can't get them.

There are a few Magnolia in Maryland. Annapolis has the highest end ML line that i have seen, which tops off with the Vantage. I have not seen the equivalent in any other Magnolia stores.

There at least three Magnolias in Best Buys in the Raleigh/Durham area of central NC, so I'd guess they're all over. The ones here don't go higher than Sources though. There is a local independent dealer in Raleigh that carries the full ML line, along with other high-end marques, so perhaps they have an exclusive on distribution in this area for the Reserve stuff.

I work at a Best Buy in Canada and have been to a Futureshop to listen and inquire about the ML. Actually the location I went to was paid by ML to design a room for their speakers. The room is perfectly shaped for sound travel and the amps they use are the Yamaha DSP-Z7 and the Pioneer ICEPOWER 1525. I'm not sure which is being used as the pre-amp but they definitely have adequate power driving the speakers.

The salesman I was dealing with was a salesman at another high-end shop so he was quite knowledgeable. It also depends on the managers. My manager is quite strict on knowing our products he does weekly product knowledge training just to ensure that we know our stuff.

My manager is quite strict on knowing our products he does weekly product knowledge training just to ensure that we know our stuff.

Good for your manager. The manager at my local Best Buy/Magnolia also knows his stuff. Even though they don't carry the Reserve ESL line he even knows a lot about it.

Actually Best Buy bought Magnolia Audio Video (formerly Magnolia HiFi) about 10 years ago. They still have 7 stand alone stores and have plans to add to this number. Las Vegas is on the short list for a stand alone but this is stalled by weak economic conditions.

I was in one of the original stores today in Santa Monica, CA and spent 4 delightful hours with them. They carry a resonable variety of high end equipment including everything ML. Three of my hours were taken up listening to one of their latest toys - A new pair of B&W 800 Diamonds. They were powered by a pair of McIntosh 2301's and equally well suited McIntosh Pre and CD. The salesman had similar musical tastes to mine as we started with Christian McBride and worked our way along the musical path finally ending with 20 minutes of room shaking Metallica "Black Album."

From my conversations in Santa Monica it appears that Best Buy wants to grow both their high end stand alones as well as the mass marketing in the Best Buy stores. I bought my CLX's without ever hearing them (I trusted my previous experience with the Prodigys and some superb advice from members of this forum). If Best Buy is successful, maybe the next person to buy CLX's in Vegas will have heard them at a Magnolia.

I for one, am rooting for Best Buys success.

Gary

Last edited:
ML at Future Shop? Really?

I visited a FS store near me last night to listen to some ML's that they had in stock. I have had a pair of CLS II's for quite a few years and just love 'em but want to move them downstairs to a room I'm building so a pair of Vistas would be perfect for the upstairs room. I've been a loyal customer of the local dealer for years but decided to give FS a shot.

To say I was disappointed is a significant understatment. The salesman knew little of the brand and even less of the effects of room, amplification and set-up have on speakers. They couldn't be as bad as they sounded. Even moving them to a more suitable location didn't help much but it was difficult to tell since there isn't a room in which to listen, just an open area - open to the couple arguing over the price of the massage chair situated in the prime listening spot, or the other couple discussing the fridge about ten feet away. The kicker was the suggestion from the salesman that it was the source of the music that was the problem - a Telarc recording. Must of been! It couldn't have been the "high end" Yamaha receiver driving them, or the $hitty little no name wire connecting them, or the cheap Sony cd player, or the room, the other speakers in the room, the placement, the ambient noise... 'nuff said.

Hey ML! If you want to keep the brand's name as good as (most) of your speakers then either train the people selling your product or keep your product in stores where the people actually know what they're talking about. Just my two cents but whoever made the decision to allow ML product to be sold in these stores should get a kick in the dangly bits. It seems like a case of market share grab to increase share return at the cost of long term company viability. Might need a rethink...

Hey ML! If you want to keep the brand's name as good as (most) of your speakers then either train the people selling your product or keep your product in stores where the people actually know what they're talking about. Just my two cents but whoever made the decision to allow ML product to be sold in these stores should get a kick in the dangly bits. It seems like a case of market share grab to increase share return at the cost of long term company viability. Might need a rethink...

Well said.

Latest posts

Back