man I love my SL3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donberry

Reaction score
I understand that my system is not as high of quality as many others, but I still sit and listen often in amazement that a system I own could sound so good, anchored by my SL3.
I use a restored and slightly upgraded Pioneer Spec 2 on the panels, a highly upgraded and restored Bose 1801 on the woofers , a Conrad Johnson PV2AR that has had all the film caps upgraded, the balance knob bypassed and the rectifier rebuilt and a PS Audio Digital Link III dac. I know there are much better components, but these are not bad.
And luckily the synergy with the SL3 is just wonderful, to my ears anyway.
I always think they sound as good as they possibly can and then I add something new, like the PS Audio or recently new speaker cables, and it just gets even better.

I have read more than a couple people saying they did not care for them because they did not think the bass blended in well and to be honest, i can't understand that. Tho I could very easily just have a not very refined ear, to me it is a seamless integration (once properly setup) and I have never heard any lag etc. unless I was using an under powered amp.
Of course that is just obviously my taste and everyone likes something different.
Anyway, I just added some new speaker cables and have been listening intensively for a loooonnnngg time and once again I am amazed by these speakers and just had to shout it from the rooftop.
My favorite quote , Stereophile 1997 - "While some people may prefer a speaker that demands less from them, these speakers are designed for those who demand nothing less than the best from their speakers."

^I have a SL3s myself and currently enjoying the heck out of it. Fabulous transparency on the highs/mids. I have a pair of Velodyne subs side by side with them for the low end. I have a Parasound amp powering them with Belden 10 gauge speaker cable. Two channel via a Parasound HD1600 DAC through an Onkyo PR-SC886. Someday I will have them with a strictly two channel system. I have been listening to my music lots more with them and just amazed too how refined they sound.

They are brilliant speakers, I used to have them, the bass I think integrates well, if you have not already bi-wiring helps (at least for me it did).

The SL3's are one of my favorite ML speakers and I've owned quite a few of their models.

Hi don,

FWIW, see my recommended modifications on this forum.

Yes, it is a great speaker but can be substantially improved, with a minimal amount of dollars.

GG

Your SL3's excite you as they are excellent loudspeakers.

I had reQuest's and enjoyed the hell out of them but wanted more spl's and deeper bass as I listen to a lot of rock and so saved up and grabbed a set of Summits. I like the Summits better but could have easily lived with the reQuests. Bass integration is an issue but on most music I listened to it was not a major annoyance. There was some classical and jazz that brought my reQuests to their knees but overall with most alt, rock, fok, and jazz it was not an issue.

In any event it appears to me that you have killer taste and a great system for your budget and you enjoy it and that is all that really matters.

I love my SL3's as well... I don't know how my system could really sound better with other ML speakers - there just does not seem to be much room for improvement! I am amazed by these speakers every week! They play very loud, very clear and sound amazing.
I am just not a fan of the new speakers that imho as far as the size of the panel goes - it is a compromise in sound. ML had to make their speakers less "ugly" and increase their WAF so men were allowed to place these in the living / media room! Nothing is better than a larger panel. I dont care what anyone tells me, that's what my ears tell me. The Montis look small in comparison to the SL3's. If I were ever to upgrade, i would probably go with the Podigy!

I love my SL3's as well... I don't know how my system could really sound better with other ML speakers - there just does not seem to be much room for improvement! I am amazed by these speakers every week! They play very loud, very clear and sound amazing.
I am just not a fan of the new speakers that imho as far as the size of the panel goes - it is a compromise in sound. ML had to make their speakers less "ugly" and increase their WAF so men were allowed to place these in the living / media room! Nothing is better than a larger panel. I dont care what anyone tells me, that's what my ears tell me. The Montis look small in comparison to the SL3's. If I were ever to upgrade, i would probably go with the Podigy!

Totally agree with everything you wrote, Gordon. The Prodigy is an amazing speaker and would probably be well worth the upgrade cost from the SL3s.

Back