Magnum Dynalab 606T XM Tuner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Just installed one of these in my system. Has two days on it and I've been told by the manufacturer and by Jeff D. that it needs about 100 hours to fully break in.

First impressions:

WOW!!!

Given the compressed nature of the signal, I was very skeptical about the sound quality. Not anymore. The sound quality belies logic. Of course, the quality is variable depending on the source.

However, I will tell you that on Stations 70,110, and 112 (Traditional Jazz, Traditional Classic, and VOX -Opera and Classical Vocals respectively), the listening experience is engaging in all the ways we crazy folks define that term.

Will provide further impressions later. Going to install a high quality AC cord and interconnects.

My sincere thanks to Jeff for his input on the 606 versus the 609.

My question for all you techno types is this: How did they do it?

GG

PS: Had the Polk Audio XM tuner in my system prior to this. The MD unit is so much better it's silly.

Last edited:
Glad you like it, I sure like mine...

And I've been getting a real kick out of the Led Zeppelin channel!

Gordon I am really glad you like it. I have been looking for a similar receiver for Sirius and have been unable to find one I could afford which has a coaxial digital out. My DAC will only accept coaxial (RCA), XLR or I2S, not toslink. Is anybody out there aware of any such Sirius beast? Gordon, what about the supposedly upcoming merger between Sirius and XM? Can your receiver be adapted, should this happen? I have always enjoyed my Magnum FM tuner, an original FT-101 I purchased new in 1986 and still use!

Hi Tony,

Recently saw somewhere that someone is manufacturing a Sirius tuner unit that, I believe, is somewhat similar to the Polk Audio / XM tuner, that has a digital coax option to connect an external DAC to the unit. Sorry but I can't recall who's doing it but I will try to find and send you a PM.

Regarding the pending merger between Sirius and XM, MD has stated in their product literature that the MD units will accomodate this possibility. Assuming it happens and the merger requires that internal hardware needs to be modified, MD is ready.

Best regards,

Gordon

Howdy all,

Just installed one of these in my system. Has two days on it and I've been told by the manufacturer and by Jeff D. that it needs about 100 hours to fully break in.

First impressions:

WOW!!!

Given the compressed nature of the signal, I was very skeptical about the sound quality. Not anymore. The sound quality belies logic. Of course, the quality is variable depending on the source.

However, I will tell you that on Stations 70,110, and 112 (Traditional Jazz, Traditional Classic, and VOX -Opera and Classical Vocals respectively), the listening experience is engaging in all the ways we crazy folks define that term.

Will provide further impressions later. Going to install a high quality AC cord and interconnects.

My sincere thanks to Jeff for his input on the 606 versus the 609.

GG

PS: Had the Polk Audio XM tuner in my system prior to this. The MD unit is so much better it's silly.

Wish they had a Sirus version....

Howdy all,

J

GG

Just as you would build a good CD player...
Good parts, attention to detail in assembly. XM is really a digital
player just like anything else.

And the tubed output stage probably doesn't hurt either!!

Wish they had a Sirus version....

Hi Jason,

Absent any significant hardware costs you've incurred with Sirius, why don't you cancel your Sirius service and subscribe to XM so you can buy the MD XM tuner. Bought mine thru Audio Advisor, which comes with a 30 day money back.

I will tell you Amigo. With your system, which I'm confident sounds absolutely awesome, you will not regret it.

Hope you like your new Cary preamp. Given the quality / reputation of the company and this upper end item, I trust you will not be disappointed.

Best regards,

Gordon

PS: MD folks told me that a very positive review of the 609 is about to appear in TAS.

Hi Jason,

Absent any significant hardware costs you've incurred with Sirius, why don't you cancel your Sirius service and subscribe to XM so you can buy the MD XM tuner. Bought mine thru Audio Advisor, which comes with a 30 day money back.

I will tell you Amigo. With your system, which I'm confident sounds absolutely awesome, you will not regret it.

Hope you like your new Cary preamp. Given the quality / reputation of the company and this upper end item, I trust you will not be disappointed.

Best regards,

Gordon

PS: MD folks told me that a very positive review of the 609 is about to appear in TAS.

Gordon,

Thanks for the info. I have XM and Sirius both. I HATE XM due to the non commercial free stations. I also like the lineup better on Sirius. Oh well....in time I'm sure there will be another.

Back