Mac Mini

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron

Reaction score
I just purchased the Mac Mini. It fits nicely behind my 82" display. This makes for a excellent music server. I use an adapter for the head phone audio out jack on the mini, and a optical cable to my McIntosh MCD 500 optical input which I use for my dac. All my music is on the hard drive of the mini in the wav or lossless format. The quality of music sounds better to me than using my Wadia 171i transport as a music server. This also works good for me because I have an I MAC in my office, and can share files. Anyone looking for an inexpensive music server, I highly recommend the Mac Mini.

I just purchased the Mac Mini. It fits nicely behind my 82" display. This makes for a excellent music server. I use an adapter for the head phone audio out jack on the mini, and a optical cable to my McIntosh MCD 500 optical input which I use for my dac. All my music is on the hard drive of the mini in the wav or lossless format. The quality of music sounds better to me than using my Wadia 171i transport as a music server. This also works good for me because I have an I MAC in my office, and can share files. Anyone looking for an inexpensive music server, I highly recommend the Mac Mini.

Thanks for confirming that Ron, I should be getting a Mac Mini 2.5Ghz as a Christmas present in a couple of months time. It's interesting that you are getting a better sound than the Wadia 171i and that's through an inferior connection on the Mac (i.e. optical). Just imagine how much better it's going sound via the USB socket with a good USB to SPDIF converter connected to it.

Last edited:
Absolutely! I use the digital out on my MacBook Pro to feed my Buffalo DAC and it works great. What software do you use? I use MPD on the computer and MPOD on my iPhone to control it.

Has anyone heard of Amarra? I visited their room at the CAS. It was a really cool software, and it worked really well. Might be a little pricey but most standards, but it might be worth it to some.

Has anyone heard of Amarra? I visited their room at the CAS. It was a really cool software, and it worked really well. Might be a little pricey but most standards, but it might be worth it to some.

There's a lot of information about this software. Supposedly very good. But I'm yet to understand what it does sound wise. I suspect nothing.

I've been using Amarra for quite awhile now and love it. However, now there are other more affordable options like Pure Music, for example. They offer free download, so that you can try it before you buy it, to see if the sound is to your liking. I suspect you will keep it after comparing it to iTunes, but if not, no harm done. Here's the link...http://www.channld.com/puremusic/

Definitely love the Mac Mini.. I take a bit of a different route..
MacMini in the office and stream to an ATV2 connected via optical into my PSA DLIII DAC - in the office, I have a Matrix DAC (via optical) into a Carat One Tube HP amp into a pair of Senn HD650's
Alternately.. my to 500 songs are on my MacBook Air and I use Furutech USB cable into the DLIII.. running Decibel on the MBA
All music is Apple Lossless and some stuff from HDTracks

Definitely love the Mac Mini.. I take a bit of a different route..
MacMini in the office and stream to an ATV2 connected via optical into my PSA DLIII DAC - in the office, I have a Matrix DAC (via optical) into a Carat One Tube HP amp into a pair of Senn HD650's
Alternately.. my to 500 songs are on my MacBook Air and I use Furutech USB cable into the DLIII.. running Decibel on the MBA
All music is Apple Lossless and some stuff from HDTracks

Here's some quick advice for MAC MINI owners who want an increase in sound quality... Upgrade the stock FIGURE 8 power cord to a decent aftermarket one like the following http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA2917038212050IDZUMXZOWNTYEWOZ
You'll hear a definite improvement in Transparency.

Last edited:
Back