M. Levinson No. 383 Int. Amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhom

Reaction score
Saw one of these ML No. 383s recently, but didn't get to hear it. What a beautiful integrated amp! Weighs a ton, seems superbly built, 100w/channel, remote, looks like most of the Levinson gear of 3-5 years ago. Not in production anymore? Probably will drive most MLs except the very largest systems. I hear that these amps went for $5K new.

Have any of you had the opportunity to hear one of these babies hooked up to your MLs? If so, could you please give us a mini-review of what you heard? Worth pursuing one used?

Thanks!

The 383 is a special integrated. I was looking at that integrated amp when I was shipping for an amp a little over a year ago. The one thing that stopped me was that they sold for a little over $3K and that was just a bit out of reach at that time (though with how much I spent on my current amp/preamp, it was actually a bargain).

Anyway, I never got to hear it on an ML system but it's one sweet integrated.

Saw one of these ML No. 383s recently, but didn't get to hear it. What a beautiful integrated amp! Weighs a ton, seems superbly built, 100w/channel, remote, looks like most of the Levinson gear of 3-5 years ago. Not in production anymore? Probably will drive most MLs except the very largest systems. I hear that these amps went for $5K new.

Have any of you had the opportunity to hear one of these babies hooked up to your MLs? If so, could you please give us a mini-review of what you heard? Worth pursuing one used?

Thanks!

I have never heard it with ML's, but I remember asking my dealer about his demo unit. He said that it's sound characteristics are virtually the same as 100 wpc the Levinson amps + preamp, with reduced costs due to less metal for the one box unit.

However, my personal take based on the listening I have done - and people may argue with this - is that power matters for all Logans - new and old. 100 wpc may be good enough for the new generation of Logans, but extra power (like the 400 wpc Mac or the 600 wpc Bryston) give the amp amazing control over the panel. This just confirms that you have to audition yourself.

Im with you on the power thing too.

My Premier 350 is the same way. If I hook up a 100wpc solid state amp or my Mac 275, it just doesn't have the effortless presentation I'm used to.

However, the new Moon audio I-7 integrated is pretty darn good....

Back