M-dac

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What it does have that very few other DAC's include, is the Pacific Microsonics HDCD decoder which I use when I spin HDCD encoded disc's such as those from Reference Records among others.

One more thing - it shouldn't matter Tim. Foobar (don't know about others) has a HDCD plugin, so you can rip your HDCD discs and output a 20-bit data. The resulting file will be a 24 bit FLAC (truncated with zeros to make the 20-bit file). Then you can play the discs on any hardware.

Hi guys,
I'm in the market for a new DAC too and after reading you guys' posts on the M-DAC, I want to get one too. However, I'm also considering the Schiit Gungnir as I read lots of good things about it and both DACs are in the same price range (with the Gungnir being cheaper, $750-850). Unlike the M-DAC, the Schiit Gungnir is built right here in California and much easy to get/return.

I'm wondering if anyone has listened to the Gungnir or compared it against the M-DAC and would like to hear what you think of the two?
Thanks,
Dan

Hola Dan...all I can say regarding the M-DAC is that this is my very first time that I am enjoying digital sound that much!. I had listened a lot of digital gears, costing more that ten times of the cost of the M-DAC, but this is the only one that really got me hooked! I know that out there are a lot of good sounding DACS but I am very, very pleased with this one. Happy listening!

Thanks guys.
Yeah I've read that thread too. Right now I'm leaning toward the Gungnir but want to read a little bit more on both before buying

Funny you should ask Adam, it just showed up today. I'm listening to it right now in fact! I don't have a long enough USB cable to reach from my computer to where I want to position it in my rack, so I'm burning it in over the next few days by running the Sonos Connect in my bedroom through it so that I can feed it a steady diet of various music for the rest of the week, then I'll move it into the main system. Right now it's only been on for a few hours, but sounds relatively good through the built in headphone jack. I don't want to offer any real thoughts on it yet since it's so fresh out of the box and I don't have a frame of reference with regard to the headphone amp. I'm impressed with the overall build quality though, it's pretty heavy for such a small device. It was also quite well packaged and the owners manual is very detailed.

What filters are you and Roberto using typically and do you find yourself switching between them for certain types of music, or do you just set it and forget it?

Last edited:
What filters are you and Roberto using typically and do you find yourself switching between them for certain types of music, or do you just set it and forget it?

The filters are one of the best things about this DAC. They really give you the opportunity to tune the DAC to suit your preferences.

For filters see posts 35 and 37 of this thread.

I mostly just leave it on Minimum Phase. John Westlake seems to love the Optimal Transient ones - to the extent that he gives us three! choices. They are great for piano especially (I find), but I do hear deficiencies with them that are eliminated with the minimum phase.

Optimal Spectrum makes it sound very similar to a Naim DAC - good in some ways and not so good in others.

Have fun experimenting with them. The manual gives good technical description if you want to understand what they are doing.

Hola Mitt and Amey01. When I am listening to a solo instrument and I know it is a good recording, Optimal Spectrum is the filter that I use. The manual says that his filter could cause a listener fatigue, I do not get any fatigue when I use it for only soloist instrument, like guitar or piano. Just listen the decay time and all the reverberation time that you get with this filter. There are no black holes, just pure music singing. When the recording it not too good, I use Minimum Phase filter, it is like having an analogue filter on hand, I do not why, but this is my perception. And when the recording is good, for Latin music or very dynamic, I use Optimal Transient XD. It is fun, clean, very dynamic, the bass is not exaggerated, the timbre of the strings is awesome, listen to Salvatore Accardo playing the 2 violin concert of Paganini, third movement, "The Campanella". The triangle and the violin playing the same pitch tone, its a wow! brass and percussion are one of the best, and the highs at my speakers, opens up. Listen to Beegie Adair, Romance Collection, she is playing with her trio, (bass and drums) and the fun and sound is truly awesome. Also, I recommend to you Double Bass Rarities, by Barbara Sanderling, with music of Rossini, Hydn, Couperin and Vanhal. You can get this rare recording at Amazon. It is a German recording. Here, you can listen how good the strings are played, challenging my turntables, Tell us your findings. I know for sure, that you will like the unit as we do. Happy listening!

Back