loud popping sound

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

is250sp

Reaction score
Had a party on Sat night with the Vista's playing med to high levels continuously for about 3 hours when all a sudden there was a very loud popping noise on one of the speakers. I immediately turned off everything, wait a little bit, turned it back on and everything is back to normal. This actually happened before on my old SL3's during another party also. Is this normal for ML speakers? My pre is Emotiva UMC-1 and amps are Emotiva XPA-1's. When it happened on the SL3's, I had the Emotiva XPA-2 amp.

I'm guessing the amplifiers may have started clipping which would cause the distortion or popping. Did your amplifiers get warm? Was the popping from the panel or woofer? Does Emotiva amps have thermal protection? It would seem though that the monos would produce enough juice for the Vista's...

I didnt check if the amps were warm. The popping sounds like it came from the panel. And yes, the amps does have thermal protection.

Am I missing something?

By your own description, the answer is obvious.

You are over driving your amps.

What is the purpose of posting something like this?

PS: If this is your mantra, sell the ML's and get a boom box.

Last edited:
Am I missing something?

Wow....looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. And yes you are missing something...you cant make a post like that and not recommend a boombox....how about a circa early 80's model with dual cassette and auto reverse?

I heard popping sound:
With Vista, right after first power on, after panel replacement.
With Stage, on first power up, right before panel section died.

Not likely overdriving 1000W amplifier. First you would propably blown the woofers from Your speakers. (unless you already did and it's distorting/popping etc.)

Popping could originate from PSU boards being caused maybe by some device/appliance on the same electrical circuit? I know in my old room I had light dimmer on the same circuit with my audio rig and can say they didn't like each other.

Last edited:
Two speakers with the same problem? Sounds like you need to stop having parties :)

Wow....looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. And yes you are missing something...you cant make a post like that and not recommend a boombox....how about a circa early 80's model with dual cassette and auto reverse?

Me thinks Gordon is having a bad day so i'll apologize, on his behalf, for his uncharitable attitude.

Clipping doesn't sound like pops. It sounds like severe and annoying distortion of sounds. Now a pop is probably caused by a power spike in your system. It seems your Vista's survived the spike. As suggested before, if you play a continously swept tone from 20Hz to 20kHz, at moderate volume, while placing your ear next to the panel to hear for distortions. Then you can determine if the panel is ok or not.

Am I missing something?

I very highly doubt he is overdriving his amp. Even at high levels, he probably is only using 20% of it.

Could the noise be related to someone/something touching the speaker and contaminating it? Dirt/dust/debris can cause shorting pops.....

Latest posts

Back