Loud Popping Sound through Speaker

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdoe

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's been a long time that I haven't posted on this website though I'm a very regular visitor. I've been trying to search on this site to find a answer to the issue that I ran into.

My system is for two channel only
Components:
Front Speakers: ML Vista (2008)
Sub: DepthI (2007)
Pre: from Receiver Pioneer Elite SC07
Amp: Bryston 4BSST2 300w @ 8Ohm; 500w @4Ohm
CD player: Integra CDX730
Blue-Ray player: Pioneer Elite BDP 23fd

I recently added a Bryston amp to my two-channel system. While disconnecting an IC from pre to amp, I heard a loud thud/popping sound from the left speaker. Yesterday I disconnected the power condition and moved it to a new outlet, then turned on the pre, sub & the amp, I heard a hight pitching sound from the panels and ending with another thud/popping sound from the left speaker again. My question is whether this is bad for the speaker or the amp or both. Will this thud sound damage the voice coils in the speakers or the CAP in the amp if this thing keeps happening; this only occurs when I make change to the system and with the pre and amp off.

Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hola. Usually that problem is due to a bad ground connection from one cable. Make sure that all the interconnect cables are all the way into their zocket. Or a bad IC cable can make this to happen. Happy listening.

Last edited:
Hi hd,

Could be very bad for both.

Try disconnecting all AC lines before doing any switching next time.

GG

Thanks Roberto and Gordon,

I did turned off both the Receiver and Amp before disconnecting the IC. The second time when this happened, I didn't remove IC, just changed the outlet to the power condion where the receiver and sub plugged in. The Amp is plugged to a different outlet.

Gordon, if this could be bad for both, how bad do you think it could be, esp. the CAP inside the amp or the speaker?

Maybe I need to completely turn off AC to the system and wait for awhile b4 removing any components.

Hi hd,

It could potentially cause DC (direct current) or strong transients to enter the system.

DC and / or transient spikes can overload all electronic gear (all operate on AC / alternating current and some gear may not protect against transients) and cause significant damage requiring equipment to be sent back to the manufacturer for repair. Not fun and damage may not be covered by warranty.

Don't want to scare you but..............

Gordon

I hope that my electronic gears would not be harm with just a few thud sounds.

I just noticed when I turn on my Amp, the blue LED on the left speaker is also on, the right speaker is not on till I turn up the volume to a certain level. Both LED will turn back on when I turn off the Amp.This issue didn't happen when I use the amp of the receiver. Is this normal with a Amp in the audio system? Does anyone here have the same issue like this

I would like to get some more thoughts and suggestions regarding this

Back