Looking to downsize from seprates to Rec

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goditas

Reaction score
I have Claritys for fronts and a Fresco for the center channel. Currently, I am powering them with a Parasound A52 Amp. My preamp does not support the latest surround sounds and I has looking to downsize my system so I can have a more streamlined look once I get a flat panel TV. I was looking at the Onkyo TX-SR876 receiver. Based on the specs, it will support speakers rated from 4 to 16 ohms (http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR876&class=Receiver&p=s). Does anyone have any experience with this receiver with ML? Should I be concerned that it may not be able to handle the ohm load?

Last edited:
I have Claritys for fronts and a Fresco for the center channel. Currently, I am powering them with a Parasound A52 Amp. My preamp does not support the latest surround sounds and I has looking to downsize my system so I can have a more streamlined look once I get a flat panel TV. I was looking at the Onkyo TX-SR876 receiver. Based on the specs, it will support speakers rated from 4 to 16 ohms (http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR876&class=Receiver&p=s). Does anyone have any experience with this receiver with ML? Should I be concerned that it may not be able to handle the ohm load?
Hola...trust your ears and decide by yourself. It is my personal opinion that specs are meaning less. Onkyo will play nice with those babies with no problem...Clarities are easy to drive and so the Fresco. I think that this particular model has a toroidal Xformer that will deliver enough current to drive the new ML models easy. Try it, you might like it, besides, it has a lot of nice features like the farudja for video also. All the latest gadgets for HT are in it too. It is THX certified too. Go for it, happy listening,
Roberto.

Why not buy a player that decodes the codecs internally? Unless of course, your pre does not support 5.1 analog pass-through, or your are dead set on using HDMI for all video and audio.

The new Panasonic and Sony Blu-Ray players (I believe this is what you are talking about) decode all internally and output over analog out.

IMO, the Parasound will produce better quality sound (just my opinion) than the receivers would. But I can understand the ease of the all-in-one concept of the receivers - I just do not like the sound quality they produce.

I agree with roberto to trust your ears. but the fresco's are one of the hardest to drive martin logans I have owned believe me they love power I had mine hooked up to a mid range Yamaha that originally drove a pair of vista's in my living room " sounded great with vistas but did not drive the fresco really at all" if you put some good power to the fresco it will come alive.how much are you looking to spend??

I can understand wanting an HDMI-switching receiver. Being able to switch everything with one remote and not hunting for matching video and audio signals is very nice. Given this scenario, I'd consider the following:

1. I'm sure the Onkyo has preamp outs, keep the Parasound until you know you're happy with the Onkyo. If the Onkyo doesn't cut it for power you can just keep the Parasound.

2. Assume the receiver isn't going to cut it and buy a cheaper receiver just for its switching and processing capability and use the Parasound for power.

3. Sell the Parasound and Claritys and swap for the Onkyo and Puritys.

Keeping the Parasound for power when you're buying a receiver might not seem like a lot of "simplification" but power really does matter unless you're going to the Puritys-- Purities-- whatever... I hate proper nouns that have goofy plurals. :) From personal experience, even the highest line of the A/V receivers pale compared to a proper amplifier.

Thanks for the advise. I am starting to lean toward keeping the parasound and upgrading the preamp. It's more expensive, but it gives me the best option for dealing with future changes.

MotorToad is right on. You can get a Reciever with all the latest suround sound codecs and HDMI 1.3a. Use it as either a pure preamp or use your current amp to drive the front channels and use power off the receiver to drive the rear or surround channels. Most of the good new surround recievers have an auto equalization feature that will make matching the sound from each of your surround speakers a snap, or maybe a crackle, sometimes a pop. But either way you will be ready to add new speakers and new amps and new logans as your upgraditis continues to consume you. Just make sure you don't come to this forum for treatment....you will only get sicker.:ROFL:

Back