Looking for a new DLP TV...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbergs9

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions out there about DLP tv's. I actually have one, a 52" Toshiba 52HM84, but I am bought it several years ago and have not kept up with the technology. I am also looking to upgrade from 720p to 1080p.
I'm looking at the Mistubishi Diamond Series, Samsung, or Toshiba. I'm trying to find the best contrast and color...I'm not as concerned about brightness.
Any reccomendations out there? I've read all the reviews...just interested in what you guys thought.

thanks

I am a fan of the Sony technology. I looked at all of the big 70"+ screens and to my eyes the Sony was the best. The Toshiba was close, but reading the AVS forum it looked like it was problem prone. I also liked the Samsung third best, but if your eyes pick up the "rainbow" effect this set won't work for you. The JVC technology is comparable to the Sony so some like it as well or better than the Sony, but I never found one to look at.

I would put in the biggest screen you can buy though because if you don't you will just wish you had later. I went up to the 70" Sony from a 53" Pioneer Elite CRT which is still one of the best pictures money can buy and these days if you can find them they are cheap, but I would recommend going w/ the newer technology in a larger screen size.

I also liked the Samsung third best, but if your eyes pick up the "rainbow" effect this set won't work for you....

I would put in the biggest screen you can buy though because if you don't you will just wish you had later.

I have heard that the colors are the truest on the Samsung, but the picture is extremely bright to the pint that you have to squint when a particularly bright scene comes on. Is this the casue of rainbow effect?..I have read about it but never witnessed it.

mmmm...70" I would love it...I'm all for "the bigger the better", but I'm just not sure I have enough seating depth in my room. And then there is the WAF...:(

I was shooting for between 57" and 65".

I haven't looked at the Sony's much. How does the SXRD compare to DLP?
I need to find someone with one...those HD feeds in all the big box stores are terrible. It makes it difficult to compare.

I have heard that the colors are the truest on the Samsung, but the picture is extremely bright to the pint that you have to squint when a particularly bright scene comes on. Is this the casue of rainbow effect?..I have read about it but never witnessed it.

mmmm...70" I would love it...I'm all for "the bigger the better", but I'm just not sure I have enough seating depth in my room. And then there is the WAF...:(

I was shooting for between 57" and 65".

I haven't looked at the Sony's much. How does the SXRD compare to DLP?
I need to find someone with one...those HD feeds in all the big box stores are terrible. It makes it difficult to compare.

I have the 67" Samsung, and particularly white scene it can get quite bright; however, that can be adjusted. Unfortunately, when I adjusted it I didn’t like the picture as well so I just accept the flash bulb effect when it goes from dark to light.

I’m not sure what the rainbow effect is but I think what you’re talking about is solarization – at least that’s what the technician told me it was. Yes it does exist and can be quite annoying, especially on dark scenes. It never shows up on bright/daylight scenes. Unfortunately, nothing can be done and to some degree all DLPs suffer from this effect; however, my parents 71” Mitsubishi seems to suffer less. Mine has also had it guts replaced 3 times. One more and they’ll replace the TV. For the most part the TV is pretty darn good but nowhere near as reliable as my 62” 4/3 Mitsubishi was. When I replace this TV it will most likely be with a Plasma but their prices have to come down first.

The rainbow effect is caused by the fact that most DLP sets use a single white light source shown through a spinning color wheel to sequentially draw colors onto the screen. In high contrast scenes, if you rapidly avert your vision, you see only one of the color images, or see the sequential images out of phase, thus a rainbow effect. I rarely see the effect myself, but some people are more sensitive to it.

A few newer units use color LEDs instead of the halogen bulb/color wheel, eliminating this problem. LEDs also have a longer functional life and produce less heat.

The rainbow effect is caused by the fact that most DLP sets use a single white light source shown through a spinning color wheel to sequentially draw colors onto the screen. In high contrast scenes, if you rapidly avert your vision, you see only one of the color images, or see the sequential images out of phase, thus a rainbow effect. I rarely see the effect myself, but some people are more sensitive to it.

A few newer units use color LEDs instead of the halogen bulb/color wheel, eliminating this problem. LEDs also have a longer functional life and produce less heat.

DING DING DING! Steve is the winner! Yes, and on scenes where an object is moving rapidly across the screen it can be seen by some people too. It is one of those strange things where we all perceive things differently and some people won't notice it AT ALL!

Lets see, size and distance from the screen. Well, I am 13' away from the 70" my wife is 11' back (in our normal seating positions) and I would LOVE to throw down an 80" screen if Sony makes one!

The way I evaluated the TV's I looked at was with SD programming and DVD's those make up the majority of what I watch and the Sony did them better than ANY OTHER SET in the 70" range. You can sit within 6' of the Sony and pleasantly watch DVD's or SD programming...it is THAT GOOD! None of the others were really even very close.

They are ALL good if not GREAT w/ HD programming so that is not really a factor...

Go as big as you phisically have room for...seriously. More and more stuff is going to be HD in the future so just go as HUGE AS YOU CAN so you don't have to buy again in a couple of years.

Also BE SURE to pick a TV that will LAST and that looks good when it is turned OFF! These things (all of them are HUGE) so be sure you like the way it looks asthetically (did I spell that right?)!

If you have control of the lighting in you room then you should also consider a front projector (I have an old Sony HS20 Cinazine 720p). This will give you complete control over the screen size. Flat panel appearance (depending on your choice of screen, much flatter and tighter to the wall than a plasma or lcd).

The only downside is they need a very dark room. Mine looks best when all the lights are off in the media room and the adjacent dinning room. (no door between them and the light bleed can be great). With the Logans it is better than most theaters.

--burke

I'll throw my .02 in.
I have a Sony 70" LCD Love it, I think Sony has the best picture out there.
I also have a Toshiba 56" DLP, picture ain't bad, price was great.
I also think Samsung puts out a great TV lately and I 've been very impressed with ther picture quality.
If you got the Bucks go with a Sony you won't regret it!
And I think you can't go wrong with a Samsung either.

Last edited:
Sony 70" LCD

You probably meant LCOS (Liquid Crystal On Silicon) since they don't make a 70" LCD. I know it is kind of splitting hairs, but the LCOS technology really is a big step up from DLP or LCD...

i think i need to stop reading post on video. i seam to have an opinion oposite of the entire rest of the forum. to me the JVC LCOS is a great set and comes in multiple sizes from 52-70." i tend to shy away from sony because of the name brand affect i feel when i look at there stuff...i dont know its weird. and i have also heard some horrific stories about lack of customer service from sony. also to note, XSRD = JVC HDILA with different name and company. sony pays tech usage fees to JVC since it is JVC and some other tech firm's product. (i.e texas instrument to DLP = JVC to this other company).

sony does have some nice stuff and toshiba can make a great product too. bottom line LCOS.

i should right out my post and delete everything before the 'bottom line' comment. that would be easier for everyone to read :eek:.

~greg

p.s. i wont get into manufacturing practices and how they affect the product (both functionaly and longevity).

i think i need to stop reading post on video. i seam to have an opinion oposite of the entire rest of the forum. to me the JVC LCOS is a great set and comes in multiple sizes from 52-70." i tend to shy away from sony because of the name brand affect i feel when i look at there stuff...i dont know its weird. and i have also heard some horrific stories about lack of customer service from sony. also to note, XSRD = JVC HDILA with different name and company. sony pays tech usage fees to JVC since it is JVC and some other tech firm's product. (i.e texas instrument to DLP = JVC to this other company).

sony does have some nice stuff and toshiba can make a great product too. bottom line LCOS.

i should right out my post and delete everything before the 'bottom line' comment. that would be easier for everyone to read :eek:.

~greg

p.s. i wont get into manufacturing practices and how they affect the product (both functionaly and longevity).

There's nothing wrong with what you've written. I remember when JVC wasn't an afterthought. These days (fairly or not) I lump them in with brands you'd only find at Sears which is NOT where JVC's D-ILA sets should be sold IMO. They are far too good.

There's nothing wrong with what you've written. I remember when JVC wasn't an afterthought. These days (fairly or not) I lump them in with brands you'd only find at Sears which is NOT where JVC's D-ILA sets should be sold IMO. They are far too good.

I agree...you didn't write anything that was bad in the least. I would have looked at a JVC TV had there been one ANYWHERE I went! I just didn't go any place that had them. I would expect the JVC to be equal to the Sony. I am not sure about the asthetics of the "case" or "box" that houses all the important bits though and the Sony REALLY fit my needs there. You can look at my system pic by clicking below and see that the "pedestal" arrangement of the Sony was BY FAR what I needed and as far as I know they are the only ones doing something like that... All the rest of the BIG TV's had a BIG FOOTPRINT to go along with them and that was just not going to work for me.

Thanks for all the feedback guys...

3 years ago when I bought my DLP, it was between Samsung and Toshiba. It seems like everyone had caught up in the game now.

I actually am giving the JVC HD-58S998 a serious look. I have heard it has accurate color while not being too bright.

[http://tv.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027864&pathId=139&page=10

I too tend to shy away from Sony, but I have seen the SXRD picture and it's pretty unbelievable.

It's probably going to come down what looks best... allot of tvs excel in some areas where others are lacking. My favorite part of buying a tv is doing research :)

Check out the HOme theater face off...the differences in the displays are highlighted.

http://hometheatermag.com/rearprojectiontvs/207rptvface/

The JVC and Samsung will tend to lose their sharpness much faster than the Sony and Toshiba. The SXRD chip is best of the bunhc by far. I wouldnt buy a Samsung simply because I would not buy any a/v product from someone who also makes a microwave and dishwasher. Have you considered the Hitachi Ultravision (especially the Director' Series)? I sold my buddy a 70 LCD in this series he ended up getting for $3500 tax and all. I owned the 50" verson and until I found a plasma for under $2500 (the one I currently own), it was doing well.

With prices the way they are, why not buy a plasma? Best Buy had quite a few last week for $1299-1899 albeit 50 and under. I bought my 55" Ultravision for $2400 tax and all, open box at Circuit City, and the picture is much better than than LCD's and DLP's I have owned (the DLP was the Mitsu version). Do some price shopping and I bet you can locate one in a 60" under $3k. On the upside, you never have to replace the lamps inside as you do with the LCD and DLP ($300-400 every 3000 hours approx.), which makes the extra bucks spent for the plasma even a better buy. I have heard the rumors that the plasma leaks, fades, etc, to me that's urban legend or a cheap ass (read Vizio, or other off brand) plasma from China.

Check out "my system", you can't beat the visual appeal of a big screen plasma wall mounted. WHen I sold my house last year, many potential buyers asked if the tv went with the house. :rocker:

I have heard the rumors that the plasma leaks, fades, etc, to me that's urban legend or a cheap ass (read Vizio, or other off brand) plasma from China.

I have seen it LIVE AND IN PERSON! It was at a Tweeter that was closing down. There was a Pioneer Pro FHD1 (or whatever the top of the line $8k 1080p Plasma is called) and below it was a 46" plasma by Samsung I think and with HD content the Sammy was looking better. The difference was the Sammy was newer and had FAR LESS time on it than the $8k Pioneer had! The difference was STUNNING and saddening for those folks that will buy one and leave it on for hours on end even when not really watching it!

I have seen it LIVE AND IN PERSON! It was at a Tweeter that was closing down. There was a Pioneer Pro FHD1 (or whatever the top of the line $8k 1080p Plasma is called) and below it was a 46" plasma by Samsung I think and with HD content the Sammy was looking better. The difference was the Sammy was newer and had FAR LESS time on it than the $8k Pioneer had! The difference was STUNNING and saddening for those folks that will buy one and leave it on for hours on end even when not really watching it!

Hmmmm... I think if the salesman hadn't just found out that he was soon going to be without a job he would have explained the difference between the 50" plasma and the 46" LCD that you saw. When put up side by side the LCD is always going to look WAY brighter... especially when that plasma is one of only 2-3 plasmas on a wall full of LCD flat panels. Tweeter's mix for flat panel TV's is focused more on the new LCD sets. The Pioneer Elite and the upper end panasonic are the only plasma sets they still sell. They have a full line of LCD's from Sony, Samsung, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, and Audiovox. One thing that makes it even worse is that all of their sets are typically set at the factory defualt which on the Elite is more geared toward "movie" mode and the LCD's they are usually jacked way up on "vivid." Then to really top it off their antiquated video distribution system makes all of the sets look pretty bad and they really exagerrate the difference between the two technologies. They LCD sets absolutley will give you a brighter picture with no glare, but it is at the expense of the loss of black level and some definition. There is no perfect solution.

FWIW... NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU - There is not yet a TV technology to hit the market that doesn't fade over time. The light bulbs in those big RPJTV's gradually fade too. The advantage on them is that you can pop another one in and be back to 99%. Your 70" SXRD with an annual bulb change would probably be the best thing out there. But then what if they want to hang it on the wall or what about the washout at an angle or in a bright room? :banghead: AARGH!!! TV's today are frustrating!

Long story short Mbergs9... go find one that looks good to you. Take it home and enjoy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back