Looking for a new DAC... but wait!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another vote for the VDA-2/VAC-1 ($600 + $150). It oversamples yet uses a low order anti-alias filter. This avoids both the typical brick wall filter approach of oversampling designs as well as the analog filter stages required by non-os designs. For me, it will be either this combo or a Transporter.

Twitch - The Cary 303/300 does have volume control. Their website also confirms that. http://www.caryaudio.com/products/classic/CD303-300.html

You know Craig, I see that in the web link, but trust me, no where in the manual does it cover anything about volume control ???? There is nothing on the front panel, there though volume buttons on the remote that I assumed were for 'pre-amps' since it is of a universal style. I will check it out tomorrow and report back !!

Dan is correct, I do have the Channel Islands DAV VDA-2 with the latest mod and it is amazing especially for the price. I would put it up against others costing at least twice as much..

I am confused on why you feel you need a DAC or what you are trying to achieve?

Jeff:cool:

OK I am tired but it has an optical and a coax input and RCA outs. It sample the optical at 96k and the coax and 192k.

It can also be wired for balanced connections via an expensive add-on cable.

Looking for a new DAC guys and I have been very interested in the PS Audio Digital Link III since I can get it for 30% off. They say it's warm, and I like that. But no good reviews are out for it. If you guys have any other DACs that you want me to look at, let me know.

However, in addition to the DAC search, I found that certain CDP have digital inputs which allow for use as a DAC! This would definitely kill 2 birdies with 1 stone! I have been looking at several Cary pieces... namely the 306/200 non-SACD one, since I have no plans of SACD and it's cheaper on the 'gon ($2200 vs $3800).

OR the Cary 303/300, which is a very interesting player, being that it's both tubes and SS!

Now, with regards to the 303/300, can I use both outputs (tubes/ss) when using it solely as a DAC for the Squeezebox? Dave... help me! I know you have the 303/300!!

Joey

The Scott Nixon Tube DAC's have some big fan's and the come with a small price.

Another vote on the Nixon DAC. A friend of mine currently runs Nixon's latest DAC. While only a handful of others have heard the thing, supposedly its a true beast. I've used the Nixon Tube Dac+ in the past - great piece.

The downside? It may not have that flare you're looking for. ala: no shiney aluminum brushed chassis backed with an exotic design.

Twitch - The Cary 303/300 does have volume control. Their website also confirms that. http://www.caryaudio.com/products/classic/CD303-300.html

Craig, Well you are CORRECT the analog volume controls on the remote do actually atenuate the volume !! I guess it shows how much I use / pay attention to the remote !!

FWIW, nowhere in the manual is it mentioned though...... with the exception of a colored paper insert which states, "the remote handset provides comprehensive remote control of the analog volume control"

Craig, Well you are CORRECT the analog volume controls on the remote do actually atenuate the volume !! I guess it shows how much I use / pay attention to the remote !!

FWIW, nowhere in the manual is it mentioned though...... with the exception of a colored paper insert which states, "the remote handset provides comprehensive remote control of the analog volume control"

So now you have to wonder if you really need your preamp or not;)

There is NO wonder........for my first love is analog !! One thing I do know, my Turntable does not have a volume control !!

But some day for the fun of it I will hook the Cary into the Plinius directly and compare !

Yes, according to...Accuphase

According to this Dagogo's Q/A session with Accuphase top honchos, the pre-amplifier is needed!

Excerpt from Dagogo's article: The Accuphase Culture

Q: I think it is safe to state that all audiophiles, including many of your loyal customers, have contemplated abolishing the preamplifier one time or another. Coincidentally, with your internationally renowned digital preamplifiers and CD players with high-quality, adjustable volume control, Accuphase seems to be treading alongside those audiophiles as well. What is Accuphase’s official position on the issue of preamplification?

A: Quality pre-amplifier is vital to control and orderly adjustment of signals for a well balanced transmission to power amplifier. We do not recommend connecting the CD player directly to power amplifier, since no CD player can perform optimally when connecting directly to power amplifier. Even Accuphase CD players are no exception.

Digital level control provided in Accuphase CD player is for the purpose of precision attenuation in digital domain, and not for total volume control. Whatever degree of attenuation you make, the process always causes the loss of digital bit, affecting the quality of sound. We believe that the ideal digital attenuator requires a minimum of the 48-bit DSP that we use in our DC-330 digital pre-amplifier. Playback via a CD player connected directly to a power amplifier may sound vivid at an immediate listening, leading to the misunderstanding that the sound quality is upgraded. However, we will all find later that the feeling of vividness is due to peaky high and lack of bass.

Anyhow, as preferred by every audio magazine, please try an Accuphase pre-amplifier as your reference pre-amplifier. Currently, Accuphase pre-amplifiers, and even our top integrated amplifier, the E-550, employ a sensational AAVA (Accuphase Analog Vari-gain Amplifier) volume control. This newly developed AAVA volume control is totally different from conventional control using resistors. As AAVA volume control consists of multiple amplifier circuit, the music signal does not pass through conventional variable resistor-type volume control. The signal’s impedance is no longer affected by changes in our high resolution level adjustments, and complete elimination of left/right tracking error and crosstalk are achieved. Without any deterioration in sound quality, high signal-to-noise ratio and low distortion of the signal are maintained at last.

Spike

Back