Long wall - short wall

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi all. Another room question. I have been staring at my basement trying to figure out a layout for probably....uh a year?? :). So here is the problem... I have a completely unfinished basement and I am battling poles. I can make an18x26 room. I have 3 poles 10' apart and they are 13' from one long wall and 5' from another long wall.

My thought was to try to arrange the two speakers along the long wall. The speakers would be 5' from the long wall (front) and 8' from the listening position w speakers 8' apart inside to inside. The couch gets plopped right between the two poles effectively removing them from view of the seated listener. Side walls are 7' from each speaker. Rear wall is 5' behind listeners head.

The entrance will be right behind listener and will be 2 double sliding doors. I can close these or open them effectively adding another 15' behind listeners head.

So... I have never set anything up on long wall before. Do u see any issues? I have speakers 8' apart. I sit 8 feet from speakers. The front wall is 5' behind speaker and the rear wall is 5' behind listener (with a possible adjustment by opening or closing doors). Side walls 7' from outer edge of each speaker. Ceiling is 8.5' high.

That's the plan anyway. Can anyone see any issues here with long wall setup? Thanks. Long winded I know. Pic would be better but I am technically challenged!! Tim

Hola. You should be siting at the same distance between the speakers. Search this video at youtube.

ESL Setup and Optimization - MartinLogan

Happy listening!

Hi Roberto. Yes I would be sitting 8' from speakers and they would be 8' apart.

Timm, were it my room and if I understand where the posts are I would use the short wall.

Place one speaker next to (toward the center of the room) and slightly in front of one of the end posts. Then place the other the same dimensions from the front and side wall on the other side of the room.

That should give you 5' to the side wall and 10' to the front wall with 18' from the front of the speakers to the wall behind your listening position.

This still gives you 8' outside to outside on the speakers and plenty of room behind your seating to the wall.

I would be surprised if the other 2 posts would cause a problem with reflections. If they do wrap them with some acoustical material.

Just curious what speakers would you be using here?

Hi brad. Thanks for the reply. The post is 10' off the front wall and 5' off the side wall. So I would need to bring the speaker at least 10' into the room which is ok. My concern is the rear wave impact of the pole behind the speaker. I would be using ML Odysseys or if I get crazy Maggie 20.7s. In each case I have a rear wave to deal with.

What do you think?

A drawing would help.

Sometimes just drawing up the two different ways will answer your own question and may bring to light previous unrealized conditions.

I don't think the post will be an issue depending on where you place the speaker. With the Odysseys or any of the curved ML panels, the 30 degree dispersion pattern of the front is just the reverse on the back focusing it to a smaller area.

Having the sound waves miss the post should not be a problem.

Set them up that way and see how is sounds. I think with that much distance to the front wall it will give great depth to the sound stage and imaging.

You may also find that at 10' from the front wall you need very little absorption there.

A drawing would help.

Sometimes just drawing up the two different ways will answer your own question and may bring to light previous unrealized conditions.

I need an architecht in Michigan!! Do you know of one??? :) .... I am sorry -- I am technically challenged with the drawing......I mean I can draw it on a piece of paper and press it onto my screen -- but it doesn't seem to work!!! :)

Hola Timm. My advice is, trust your ears, and choose the position that you liked most. As a general rule, you should be using the long wall, but if you can have the same distance that you have of the speakers and your seating position at the short wall, then, I will just placed the speakers, moving them, just a little back and forward, tilting, to get the most of them. I think you are good. Do some tests, and tell us your findings. Happy listening!

I need an architecht in Michigan!! Do you know of one??? :) .... I am sorry -- I am technically challenged with the drawing......I mean I can draw it on a piece of paper and press it onto my screen -- but it doesn't seem to work!!! :)

I like to use 1/4" squared graph paper, each square equals a foot and freehand it. You can then scan it or take a photo of it, and then post it in the forum.

There are lots of programs out there for people who feel that they cannot draw, I avoid them because it's just no fun that way - at least for me.

I like the suggestion of trying it both ways, but of course I'm the curious sort.

Tim,

My 2 cents. Go for the long wall.

I've been in rooms where posts are in the "view line" of the speakers and it is extremely annoying.

I also believe you will be able to make adjustments to "dial in" the speaker positions and maximize their performance.

And the proposed distance from front and back wall should be more than enough (with options to adjust) to make those speakers sing.

Gordon

Hmm. I'd do the short wall orientation. Run insulating curtains from the front wall, connecting each pole and along the opposite side wall. That eliminates the poles from view and also provides a nifty place to put your gear and media, behind the curtain (poles side). Since the room is unfinished, do the curtain treatment also to the front and rear walls. Nothing sounds worse than bare cinderblock or concrete! You then have the option to treat the front with absorption panels and bass traps, the rear wall with diffusors, or whatever combo works for you. Place the speakers six feet from the front wall, two to three feet from each side wall, seating six - nine feet from the rear wall. That should get you started.

Hmmm. Gordon says long wall. Steve says short wall. Maybe he should split the difference and do the Roger Sanders corner setup. :)

Seriously, though, for this situation I would think long wall would be best given the poles and all. Although I do really like Steve's idea.

Awesome guys.

Steve's idea definitely brings something else to the table. The problematic post I tried to describe is 10' off the short wall and 5' off one of the long walls.

Once I finish the room and this has been a bit of noodling.... Ill prob go long wall first. Since isometrically the speakers could get equidistant of 8 feet from each side wall ... Be 8 feet apart...and have a seating position 8' away. Distance behind head and behind speaker could be equal as well. Everything could be moved as much as 2 feet in every direction. Ie 10 feet apart ... Etc. but I think I would prob settle on 8'. I also think being able to open the double doors behind the seated position would be nice as well. In any case. U know I would move them and try the short wall. Moving the speakers though is not the challenge. It is the equipment!!

Tim,

One more consideration might be whether or not you plan on adding sub(s). If so, and depending upon the number, you should factor in where you'd place those. I know a LOT of folks place them in/near corners, often in (relatively) the same plane as the main speakers. However, depending on room acoustics, they might work better elsewhere (sides, or rear of room). Sounds like your speakers would work well with either orientation. However, placing them on the short wall might give you more options for sub placement. My Summits are ~8' apart on a (functionally) short wall, and I'll be adding two subs located at mid side walls.

Last edited:
Back