Light'n up the Logans?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wink

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any lighting ideas for behind ML ReQuests. I'd also like to light up the rear of all my panels actually. All in blue I thought would be pretty cool.

Pics would be great as well as references if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Dan :cool:

There are several nice back lighting schemes in the Members Systems section.

Mine is probably very different than what you have in mind.

At Lowes or Home Depo you can buy a "can" light for $10 to $20 each that you place on the floor and shine upwards to create a dramatic effect through the panel. Halogen type puts out the nicest lighting color. The best designed can light uses halogen bulbs and has a safety switch on the bottom that will shut it off if it gets knocked over. I've seen them as small as a salt shaker which should be plenty in a dark room to get the effect. I've been meaning to buy a pair to update the ones I have. Also, I've had decorative christmas lights placed behind the panel for a nice seasonal touch and looking at them through the panel gives them a nice glow with extended sparkel. I used to have photos but they were lost in a hard PC crash. It wasn't pretty. THe crash that is.

wink said:
Anyone have any lighting ideas for behind ML ReQuests. I'd also like to light up the rear of all my panels actually. All in blue I thought would be pretty cool. Pics would be great as well as references if possible.

LED Lights that are similar to what this company offers can be foud at IKEA for a few bucks. http://www.illuminaire.com/ I'm thinking of doing this behinfd my TV.

In addition, I had 3 blue iridescent lights placed to the right of my system near the window, but they were built into the floor. Slightly more expensive, but far more of a clean look.

It's a really nice thing to have at night. Go for it.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Please be aware that some types of lighting are "noisy" and can effect the sound of your system.

Thanks for all your replies. There's some really nice ideas here...I think those blue "sticks" are most representative of what I'm looking for(indirect colored lighting). Application is the only thing I would need to work out.

Too bad ML doesn't offer a sheilded lighting system to plg into their power pass-thru plug.

Dan

robertawillisjr said:
Please be aware that some types of lighting are "noisy" and can effect the sound of your system.

Dimmers are a big source of noise. You will want to be aware if the lighting your buying has a dimmer switch, because it can make your audio system hum threw the speakers and transformers and different frequency’s.

Zip3kx07 said:
Dimmers are a big source of noise. You will want to be aware if the lighting your buying has a dimmer switch, because it can make your audio system hum threw the speakers and transformers and different frequency’s.
Magnetic (core & coil) ballasts are also the source of much noise. Best to use/specify electronic ballasts for any lighting that is either fluorescent or HID.

When I build my dedicated room all of the lighting will be on a completely seperate dedicated breaker from those circuits that are feeding the audio system (also dedicated and isolated).

MiTT said:
When I build my dedicated room all of the lighting will be on a completely seperate dedicated breaker from those circuits that are feeding the audio system (also dedicated and isolated).

Same here. :D

Having a separate circuit is a great idea. I'm upgrading my cicuit box to a larger one anyway, so this is something that I'll definately have to plan for when getting everything finalized in my new setup.

Thanks for the tip!

Dan

Back