Lessons learned from this hobby of ours...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
35+ years in this hobby (obsession) learned me:

1. I really am crazy

2. Tinker less with the gadgets and spend more time enjoying the music running through my MLs!

But I still enjoy reading what everyone on this forum (asylum) has to say!

All the Best,

Rick

I have learned that making my own tweaks and cables not only leaves me with more money for buying music and gear, but it gives me HUGE street cred and massive bragging rights with my other audiophile friends... :)

I've learned that about 97% of the people out there in the general public have absolutely NO idea what a good system sounds like, and of those, only about 1/3 can even recognize a "good system" when they hear it...

I've learned that if the "industry" hates a product made by a company or an engineer/designer because it "breaks all the rules", then those products are probably worth a serious look.

But most of all, I've learned that, ultimately, it is my own EARS--not price tags, magazine reviews, or even the opinions of other "audiophiles"--that should be the ultimate arbiter in choices for new gear (and even new musical purchases) in my personal system. After all, I am the one who has to listen to it every day.

--Richard

0) Music has become a lot more important to me.
1) My musical tastes have changed somewhat because certain genres and types of music are recorded with superior quality, or can, by their nature, sound more life-like.
2) Upgrades happen.
3) Psycho-acoustics exist. The problem with ears is that there is too much mind between them which messes with ears: unreliable data. There is nothing wrong with the scientific method if used appropriately.
4) A glass of wine at the end of a good day is an effective tweak to make any system sound better. This tweak is cumulative i.e. two glasses of wine are more effective than one. The scientific method does not work with this tweak.
5) Furniture and environment are important. I enjoy music most when I am at ease and comfortable.
6) I can't listen and post (or read or talk or eat or ...) at the same time. Curiously enough, I can listen, and relax in a comfy chair, and sip wine, all at the same time.
7) Most cable discussions are a waste of my time. Especially those about cable burn-in.
8) My listening room in Houston was probably close to ideal for stereo.
9) Vantages have integration issues. As much as I love them, I still want panels that go down to 60Hz or lower (aka full range panels).
10) I used to laugh about audiophiles who'd rather listen to their system than live music. I'm beginning to understand them.

Back