LED Backlighting

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCWolfPck

Reaction score
I've been searching the forums trying to find others that have done something similar. I recently bought some dioder LED lighting strips from Ikea to backlight the Ascents.

Here are 3 photos:

Before
Blue LED backlighting
Red LED backlighting

It looks like I'll need one more set for behind the Stage. Are there others in the ML Club that have done something similar? I'd love to see those results too.

Attachments

• wolfpack1 (Medium).jpg
    wolfpack1 (Medium).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 728
  • wolfpack2 (Medium).jpg
    wolfpack2 (Medium).jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 837
  • wolfpack3 (Medium).jpg
    wolfpack3 (Medium).jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 775
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great ...,
regarding similar lighting take a look in the subforum "member system" ;)

Yeah, I already did that. I ran a forum search...but I must not have used the right search terms. I know I've seen some before....but it was long ago.

KCW...

That looks pretty smooth. This is one of those projects on my long-standing to-do list! Is this the unit that you used?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50119407

I almost picked up the exact same kit for my speakers last time I was at Ikea but they only had one set in stock :( It looks like the strips are mounted to the inside edge of the frame. Do they stick on or mount with screws? How many strips did you use on each speaker?

On a side note......

As I took another look at your photo I noticed your Anthem AVM50. I was just looking at this piece as a possible upgrade from my current preamp. I'd love to go with the new Denon piece but with baby #4 arriving soon my budget has taken a set back! What are your thoughts on this unit? What did it replace in your system and how did it compare? Have you had a chance to A/B it vs any other unit (either in your system or at a hifi shop before you picked yours up)?

and btw... I'm really impressed by the highly efficient use of that BDI stand!

FatJ,

Yes, that is the correct product. They come with everything you need. I used a whole set of 4 on each speaker. 2 up each rail. I used the double sided adhesive that came with it. All the wiring fits neatly underneath the speaker if your spikes aren't too low. The wires are run behind the speaker grill.

As far as the AVM50. I LOVE IT!!! It replaced a B&K Ref 50. Needless to say, it was a HUGE step up. The video processing of this pre/pro rocks! It's handled everything I've thrown at it. Anthem has been great about providing firmware updates to keep things current and running smooth (e.g. a recent firmware update fixed an issue I was having the 24 FPS from my HD-A30).

Regarding the TV stand. That is strictly temporary. I admit...it is pretty slick though. :) I ordered a BDI Avion 8529 to replace it. It should be here well before the end of the week.

Last edited:
love the lights! i was planning on doing something similar but have sound activated options and various chase/flashing (as well as solid)...that blue would be perfect for my rotel gear...and swap the red lights for blue on the logans...hmmm...so many projects, so little time

~greg

Looks excellent. Does it look as good in the day when the lights are off though?

I've tried to do something similar, but I pulled it straight out again when I saw how messy it looked during the day.

Looks excellent. Does it look as good in the day when the lights are off though?

I've tried to do something similar, but I pulled it straight out again when I saw how messy it looked during the day.

The wires are totally hidden. The power cord goes from the wall to underneath the spike raised speaker. All of the wiring is also stashed beneath the speaker with the exception of the button to turn it on/off (which can be slid under the speaker when not in use). The wiring to the LED lighting strips are routed from beneath the speaker and under the speaker grill. The light strips are adhered to the inside of the rails. Due to the way the Ascent is constructed....you cannot see the wires at all unless you are looking from behind the speaker and down toward the bottom of the panel. Similar routing obviously would work with Vista/Vantage/Summit because it is a different design. I'll post a pick tonight from the back of the speaker.

This picture shows that all of the wiring is stored underneath the speaker. The only thing that sticks out is the on/off button:

CIMG1316.jpg

This picture show how I have the wires running up the sides of the front of the speaker. Of course, this is usually covered by the speaker grill:

CIMG1310.jpg

This picture shows how the wires come up through the speaker grilland then behind the bottom of the panel:

CIMG1313.jpg

Finally, this is what it looks like from tha back of the speaker:

CIMG1314.jpg

thanks for the info on the anthem and the new pics!

i'm loving the new look!!!!!

So do you control the color for one of several color choices? That is pretty cool! I would love to try that w/ my Prodigy, Ascent, Theater, and hell maybe the Scripts at the very back of the room too...that would be FUN to give it all a nice blue glow from time to time...like during parties or something like that. Would prefer the wires to be black...I guess if you were careful you could probably paint them black??? The look is GREAT! Also like that you can change the colors around as you like to get different and unusual combinations.

I have some ideas for these in my stereo room. I tried to buy a set of these today but Ikea does not sell them from their website and there is no Ikea in this town. Darn.

I have some ideas for these in my stereo room. I tried to buy a set of these today but Ikea does not sell them from their website and there is no Ikea in this town. Darn.

I'm sure you'll procure them somehow. I could always send you some from Australia if you want to pay triple! (I kid you not - well a little, they're $AUD 99 here, which equates to about $US85 or so!!)

I'm waiting to see pics of your plans......

Back