King Sound ESLs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Audio Image Ltd in Oakland is now a dealer for King's Audio and has a pair of the Prince. (Just down the road from you, TomDac?)

Hey Tom,

Aren't ladies supposed to change clothes behind these things? :D

That's what they look like to me!

Best,

Rick

Mantana, I agree with you about the Quad ESL (57s). They were my reference for a long time. I still have them, although they have been in storage.

And to a point I agree about the King's speakers being a value at their price. You have to weigh the total cost of ownership, though, which will probably involve shipping the speakers to the far east for repair. I owned Audiostatics, which have not been distributed in North America for several years, which means dealing with the manufacturer in the Netherlands.

I heard the 3-panel King's speaker pictured above at the CES mentioned. Sonically and visually they reminded me a little of the Magneplanar Tympanis, although I doubt they will play anywhere near as loud. It was clear they need a large room. I wasn't blown away with the bass response and dynamics.

Mantana, I agree with you about the Quad ESL (57s). They were my reference for a long time. I still have them, although they have been in storage.

And to a point I agree about the King's speakers being a value at their price. You have to weigh the total cost of ownership, though, which will probably involve shipping the speakers to the far east for repair. I owned Audiostatics, which have not been distributed in North America for several years, which means dealing with the manufacturer in the Netherlands.

I heard the 3-panel King's speaker pictured above at the CES mentioned. Sonically and visually they reminded me a little of the Magneplanar Tympanis, although I doubt they will play anywhere near as loud. It was clear they need a large room. I wasn't blown away with the bass response and dynamics.

Actually, i've never heard the Kings, but i remember the original
Quads back in the 70's. I did like their midrange but couldn't afford
them, so i bought a pair of DCM Time Windows. They were nice
speakers to start out with...then on to Vandersteens and a
number of others.
You're right about the hassle of shipping for service. These days,
and particularly at these high prices, i want to stick with companies
that are going to survive. Right now i'm trying to make up my
mind between a Mac MA7000 integrated and Simaudio I7. They're
both used but within a few hundred bucks of each other. I like
the power & some of the features of the MAC but hate the weight.
The Sim is solid but portable, probably sounds better but who
can tell until you hook 'em up. Trying to decide by the reviews
which will match up best with my Spires and Montana EPS2s.

I recently had Kingsound 'King' speakers in my living room. While they do have their merits they suffered from uneven bass response in my experience.

I wrote a few observations and posted them here

My findings are very 'different' to the stereo times review earlier posted!

Back