Just been made redundant.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jem90

Reaction score
The firm I have worked for since feb1999 told me on Tuesday that they are closing down my office and workshop and are consequently making me redundant… what a kick in the teeth! I have put my heart and soul into my work and now I have to fight for a decent redundancy package.

The company was started by my grandfather and I have always regarded it as a family firm. He wanted to retire and sold the company to a guy from the north with some money to invest.
The investor is not from my industry and has made bad decision after bad decision, spending vast amounts of money on consultants and silly advertising until we are in serious financial trouble.
I have made myself blue in the face trying to guide him to no avail and he told me on Tuesday I have to leave at the end of the month.
I feel like I have been punched in the stomach I am totally gutted, I will trouble to trust a company again as I feel my trust has been misplaced.

Sorry to burden you guys but I just need to get this off my chest.

Matt

Sorry to hear of your bad time, it sounds as if your young, which is good, so, hold your head high and move forward. Think positive, Good Fortune lies ahead !

Sorry to burden you guys but I just need to get this off my chest.

Sorry for your misfortune. If this guy is going to run this company into the ground, he is going to lose lots of capable employees. Maybe now would be a good time to start a competing business, take his best employees, and run him out of business.

Matt,

That totally SUCKS! As a person with 20 years with the same BIG HUGE company, I am always happy when they have layoffs that don't include me! I certainly would be upset were I in your shoes! Hang in there!

Better times are coming for you!!!

Hola Matt, don't you worry...you know your job better than anybody else, and also you have people who knows what you have being doing...so keep doing what you liked best. About two years ago, I lost my partnership and my store. Got no money at all, but being doing all my life what I still do, made me possible to kept going, and doing what I beloved most...being into music. Life has many ways to change a way of living sometimes, and hurts a lot!...let pass some time and think of how can you work in that sometimes we have to bend over, and wait for a better time. Take a very deep breath, and think what it is the best for you. Believe me when I say that I know what you had been through. When I lost the partnership, because the partners (51%) raised an amount of capital that I did not have at that time, and gave me only 5 working days to have the financial money as reinvestment. Because I did not have the money, they told me that I was out!...that's what they wanted at that time, because the store was beginning to work...I left, and the store closed six months later...that show me something too, not only money makes a good business. I am 60 years old and starting again. At this time for you, everything is a nightmare...but trust your heart!...it will tell you what it is the best for you!...sorry again,
Roberto.

Matt,
I know what you are going through and it sucks. I was in tech support for a very large worldwide company and had been working there for almost 7 years. It was decided in August of 2007 to move the team under a different organization, and that organization decided we were all too expensive and let us all go with very little notice, and very little for a severance package. Apparently our jobs have since gone to Costa Rica, and it's apparently been a real fiasco from what I have heard from some of my former customers. Owell, that's just tough tacos I guess.

I have since been re-hired at the same company, thanks to the efforts of my old manager (Who was absolutely amazing!), but doing a job that I am unfortunately not very good at yet, though I am learning. And without any upgrade in pay, in fact, they are giving me a pay cut of 4% coming up in March. :mad: Owell.

In any case, I am really sorry to hear about you losing your job, and can only hope you find something again soon. Hopefully you will enjoy it a lot more and can make even more. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise? Make sure you have your resume up to date... Good Luck man!

-capT

Sorry for your troubles, Matt. Perhaps the company will be available later for less once your boss runs it to ground.

Sorry about the tough times Matt, treat finding your next job as a job. Write down your goals for your career, which companies will enable those goals. Network, network, network. Broaden your scope... don't look for 'exactly' the same job you have today... Looks for all kinds of jobs that will leveage your skills and experience. Let us know when you land something.

Thank you all for the support I know redundancy is nothing new but it is such a shock. The experienced members in the group tell me there will be a silver lining to this dark cloud and there are some very wise words of advice on offer.

Thank you so much guys.

I will keep you posted
Matt.

This is not good news. Good luck with finding a new job. At the very least you would expect to get a a glowing reference...

Tough break, contact everyone you know and network like there is no tomorrow.

Could be worse, you could be the owner of the failing business.

Back