Jumping in feet first

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolz

Reaction score
Getting ready to become a first time ML owner. Right now I have a Marantz SR6003 receiver, Marantz SA8003 SACD and Emotiva XPA-2,250 watts per channel. 80% music and 20% HT. Trying to decide between the Spire and Vantage. My room is 24x18 with average ceiling. Hardwood floors with area rug and leather sofa. I've listened to the Spire but my dealer did not have the Vantage. I'm not worried about the cost between the two just if the extra money is worth the difference in sound. Any suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

I've had both the Spire and the Vantage in my room. They're both excellent speakers, but to me the Spire has the edge. Well worth the extra cash if you can afford it. I ended up saving up very hard and bought the Spires. I haven't regreted that decision for a second (he says eyeing up the CLXes!).

Getting ready to become a first time ML owner. Right now I have a Marantz SR6003 receiver, Marantz SA8003 SACD and Emotiva XPA-2,250 watts per channel. 80% music and 20% HT. Trying to decide between the Spire and Vantage. My room is 24x18 with average ceiling. Hardwood floors with area rug and leather sofa. I've listened to the Spire but my dealer did not have the Vantage. I'm not worried about the cost between the two just if the extra money is worth the difference in sound. Any suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

I have had the vista vantage and now the spire the spires really show of what martin logan does best. if price is not an issue go for the spire they are worth the extra money I think. these are very smooth and have a very large sound stage

With that size room, if you can make the stretch to the Spire, it will definitely work well in that room.

ML gives some good instructions for speaker setup in the manual, but typically, the further you can get them from the side walls, the bigger the sound will be.

Everyone has their favorite setup method, but here's a down and dirty one that will at least get you started:

Start with the speakers about 36" away from the back wall and about 6 feet apart, facing straight into the room.

Move the speakers up and back from the front wall till the bass sounds the tightest.

Then move the speakers further apart in say 6 inch increments until the soundstage falls apart, then move back in slightly. Toe in slightly to taste until the high end sounds right to you.

There are more precise ways to do it and you can experiment with speaker rake too to get the largest sweet spot, but you should be able to do this in about 20 minutes (less if you have a friend) and that will get you pretty far down the path.

Good luck on your purchase!

I've had both and the Spire is my favorite! Positioning can be, shall we say an enlightening experience. Jeff gave you some great starting points. I was in you shoes a little over a year ago. There are some great threads here on this very subject that if you search most of your questions can be answered. If not, ask away :D

I'll say this, you'll know when they are right! After some phone help by a member here, I could not believe what I was hearing. Nothing like what I heard at the dealer.

Gordon

Another Vantage (former) and Spire (present) owner here. As Jeff said given your room size I'd go with the Spire's and I might add when $$ permit don't be afraid of adding a sub (or two) into the mix as well !

Latest posts

Back